Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

It is the same for every school that I read about. Usually this time of year there is a lot of information on visits (official and unofficial). But for some reason it seems like no one is visiting anywhere. I can't figure it out.
Are recruits allowed to visit during the stay at home from the virus. Lots of these players have visited unofficially, so maybe some will decide without official visits.

is Oregon one of Puckett’s latest list?

The WNBA draft this year was pretty much a need based draft. I think Crystal landed in the best place for her. Counting Sabrina as a point only Ty Harris was drafted ahead of her. But poor Ty is going to a team with Skylar, Bria Hartley and Taurasi as the guards while Crystal is going to a loaded team that needs a point guard. Coach Reeve listed her reason for going after Crystal.
1) Good Defender (Interesting since a lot of people view her as a defensive liability due to her size)
2) Can shoot the 3
3) Can run an offense
4) UConn players are basically plug and play
5) Good intel provided by Naphessa and a good comfort level with Pheesa
6) Good value as a #16 pick
Ty is going to a young Dallas team, not Phoenix. She is basically given first dibs at being Arike's running mate for years to come, and I think she she will do great there. She's a big guard who has a good sense for the game.

Interesting comments from Reeve. She didn't exactly go for Crystal, since she went after Mikiah Herbert Herrigan with the #6 pick. Either she was prepared to not get her, or she figured she'd still be around with their 2nd round pick. 2nd/3rd round draft picks rarely make rosters, and if they do they tend to not last long in the league. Crystal is going to a team with bigger, better and more experienced PGs, so it will be interesting to see if she beats any of them out for a roster spot.

is Jamie Nared still in the WNBA?
She was one of the last cuts in Las Vegas' training camp last year. She wasted her basketball career by continuing to play for Holly so she could keep her coaching job for another year. Such a pity...she had a lot of potential that was never properly developed.

Ty is going to a young Dallas team, not Phoenix. She is basically given first dibs at being Arike's running mate for years to come, and I think she she will do great there. She's a big guard who has a good sense for the game.

Interesting comments from Reeve. She didn't exactly go for Crystal, since she went after Mikiah Herbert Herrigan with the #6 pick. Either she was prepared to not get her, or she figured she'd still be around with their 2nd round pick. 2nd/3rd round draft picks rarely make rosters, and if they do they tend to not last long in the league. Crystal is going to a team with bigger, better and more experienced PGs, so it will be interesting to see if she beats any of them out for a roster spot.

Lynx also acquired Erika Ogwumike and I think she could be the surprise of the draft. She has a strong work ethic, high character and name recognition. She averaged 19 and 10 last season. No three point shot but she’s a guard that plays like a forward.

Thanks

The WNBA draft this year was pretty much a need based draft. I think Crystal landed in the best place for her. Counting Sabrina as a point only Ty Harris was drafted ahead of her. But poor Ty is going to a team with Skylar, Bria Hartley and Taurasi as the guards while Crystal is going to a loaded team that needs a point guard. Coach Reeve listed her reason for going after Crystal.
1) Good Defender (Interesting since a lot of people view her as a defensive liability due to her size)
2) Can shoot the 3
3) Can run an offense
4) UConn players are basically plug and play
5) Good intel provided by Naphessa and a good comfort level with Pheesa
6) Good value as a #16 pick

Crystal was a steal in the NCAA and will be a steal of this draft

Reactions: NeedOrange
My money says no. I doubt Walker was who NY wanted, so they drafted who they saw as the best player left. They need a true PF, and that's not Walker. I say she ends up as trade bait.

I already said my piece on Crystal.

I have to think/hope that we drafted and traded for all these wings (Walker, Willoughby, Jazmine Jones, Steph Talbot -- on top of who we already have at the wing) and virtually no post players (aside from Kylee Shook) to prep for some trade that's still coming...otherwise I guess it's (very) small ball and stretch-4's for the Libs this season.

Reactions: VolBall09
She was one of the last cuts in Las Vegas' training camp last year. She wasted her basketball career by continuing to play for Holly so she could keep her coaching job for another year. Such a pity...she had a lot of potential that was never properly developed.

the same could be said for Russell, but she showed dramatic improvement in the W
It's all about coaching
As we will see this next season

Reactions: Rixxx
That's great, but that type of recruiting isn't going to fly here. Time for this staff to land a big fish...
Don’t agree with DV much but semi agree here. LVs shouldn’tneed To be looking for that hidden gem. We should get our share of McDonalds AAs every year.
Having said that I am really excited about our three newcomers this year. Also feel like proof of recruiting prowess is still a year or two off as recruiting is about building relationships over several (2-3) years.

the same could be said for Russell, but she showed dramatic improvement in the W
It's all about coaching
As we will see this next season
Mercedes survived her first year and was given a chance to improve. Jaime was not. There's always the chance she gets a training camp invite somewhere, but the ship my have sailed on Jaime's WNBA dreams

Don’t agree with DV much but semi agree here. LVs shouldn’tneed To be looking for that hidden gem. We should get our share of McDonalds AAs every year.
Having said that I am really excited about our three newcomers this year. Also feel like proof of recruiting prowess is still a year or two off as recruiting is about building relationships over several (2-3) years.

Yea but exactly is a “big fish” ?

I HOPE we get back to that place and I think that’s what Kellie is trying to get back too but in reality like @Amb3096 says we have to win with what we have. We had AAs and still weren’t winning. So if we get some Victoria Vivians, Blair Schaefers and 6’7” type players that can help increase recruiting and wins I’m all for it. They didn’t start out as all Americans but ended their careers as such.

But I agree, some big names would excite the fan base and give hope! I just wonder what qualifies as such?

Reactions: Amb3096
Mercedes survived her first year and was given a chance to improve. Jaime was not. There's always the chance she gets a training camp invite somewhere, but the ship my have sailed on Jaime's WNBA dreams

I'm pretty sure you're right on this one.
She flipped her layup from the belly and never did get it corrected

That’s my team!!! I really hope she gets to stick around with the Stics’ we are coming off a great season with exciting playoffs with both LV and Connecticut (for me it’s a pleasure to beat anyteam associated with that name🤣)

While she was a pain in the butt playing UT while she was at Texas I have always liked watching her play and can finally root for her!

Congrats!!!
Thanks for the well wishes! I’m a Sparks fan, but I’ll always root for her. I’m so incredibly happy for and proud of her.

Who are the PGs on the LYNX THAT Dangerfield will have to beat out for a roster spot?

Who are the PGs on the LYNX THAT Dangerfield will have to beat out for a roster spot?

Odyssey Simms, Lexie Brown and Linnae Harper are the three currently on the roster as PGs. They also have Karima Christmas, Shenise Johnson and Rachel Banham as off guards. That doesn't include anyone they get via trades or training camp contracts. Simms, Brown, and Christmas are probably locks. Assuming Johnson is fully recovered from her injury a few seasons back, she's probably a lock too.

Odyssey Simms, Lexie Brown and Linnae Harper are the three currently on the roster as PGs. They also have Karima Christmas, Shenise Johnson and Rachel Banham as off guards. That doesn't include anyone they get via trades or training camp contracts. Simms, Brown, and Christmas are probably locks. Assuming Johnson is fully recovered from her injury a few seasons back, she's probably a lock too.

Simms is more than likely out this year with her pregnancy.

Linnae Harper was cut after one year with Chicago and then sat out a season before signing a training camp contract with Minnesota. She averaged 2 points per game in 6 minutes per game.

Lexi Brown is entering her third season. last year she averaged 18 MPG, 7.6 PPG and 1.2 APG. A decent player but I’m not sure what advantages she has over Dangerfield.

Shenise Johnson is with her third team in 8 years and as you mentioned, has injury history. She basically had one productive season and that was in 2015.

To me it looks like Minnesota could use Dangerfield. Her competition this season at point guard is pretty weak.

I like her chances of sticking with this team as currently constituted.

UK getting 2 SEC tranfers rubs me the wrong way and hope the transfer rule doesnt pass. Not because anything UT related, just personally dont like the rule even if it did help the Lady Vols going forward. Just think the ruling would hurt both the mens and womens game.

Reactions: Lucy
Anyone hearing any buzz on Dara Mabrey? She’s a player I really like, very tough. Hits very timely threes. I believe she will be an impact wherever she ends up.

Reactions: mcannon1
Anyone hearing any buzz on Dara Mabrey? She’s a player I really like, very tough. Hits very timely threes. I believe she will be an impact wherever she ends up.
The problem with Dara and i have seen her play many of times on TV at VT she can`t create her own shot ?.

VN Store

Back