Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

This is Kellie's team in name only...it's Holly's team and Kellie is trying to make the best of the situation she inherited. I have no clue why anyone would expect a great leap in the way things would play out.

What I expect is that she should beat a team with comparable talent, at home, that is allegedly the worst coached team in all Division 1. What does that say about YOUR coach when she gets taken to school by said coach... ?

Ayana Mitchell playing for LSU?

Edit: No she is not, she started for senior night and went back out. Box score had me confused.

What I expect is that she should beat a team with comparable talent, at home, that is allegedly the worst coached team in all Division 1 🤔. What does that say about YOUR coach when she gets taken to school by said coach... ?

Bears cruise to 55th Big 12 win in a row - OUHoops

It was their biggest scoring half ever in a Big 12 game, and came after a 36-point outburst in the first quarter that was their highest-scoring quarter ever in a conference game.

What I expect is that she should beat a team with comparable talent, at home, that is allegedly the worst coached team in all Division 1. What does that say about YOUR coach when she gets taken to school by said coach... ?
Texas is a veteran club with more talent, at least more experienced talent than us. They should have beat us by more tbh.

I see that in yesterday’s battle between recently-struggling former highly rated teams, Notre Dame (now 11-17) and Syracuse (now 15-12), it was the Irish who came through with the 72-70 win.

Both ND and Syracuse recently lost two outstanding coaches: Niele Ivey to the NBA, and Tammy Reiss to become head coach of her own program (Rhode Island Rams).

Reactions: Dube and VolBall09
Equal talent at home does not translate into a guaranteed victory. In the case of Alabama at Miss St...it doesn't even it doesn't guarantee a win at home with superior talent.

Duke is really running their offense well against NC State.

They have been on a terror lately. They struggled bad early this season. After the Clemson game something changed. They lost to Clemson then won two in a row, lost by 3 to NC State then rattled off 5 in a row against decent competition. They are really peaking at the right time.

I’ve forgotten DV. Who was your choice for coach?

Duke beat NC State. Watching Duke play tonight lets me know Kellie and staff have a lot of work to do to execute an effective offense. I expect the staff to get there, butitwill take some time.

I’ve forgotten DV. Who was your choice for coach?

My first choice would have been to show Walz the money. My next choice would have been Niele Ivey. Now seeing how Notre Dame has completely fallen apart since she left, I really wish Fulmer would have given her more serious consideration...

My first choice would have been to show Walz the money. My next choice would have been Niele Ivey. Now seeing how Notre Dame has completely fallen apart since she left, I really wish Fulmer would have given her more serious consideration...

I agree with you. I felt like we missed the boat on Ivey. Walz was always a pipe dream, but he was very appealing after the train wreck of last season. I think he would have been fun to have as coach, oddly would have made the UCONN rivalry revival more interesting.

Ivey though, she’s the one that got away. I think she’s really special. I wish she had stayed in the collegiate ranks and taken over a program. It’s no coincidence ND was on the slide before she joined the staff, they had an immediate renaissance. Now she leaves and they have instant regression. They lost an incredible starting 5 from last year, but they also completely forgot how to play basketball.

I’m willing to give Coach Harper 3 years like I do any coach. At that point we’ll know.

What the NCAA transfer proposal means, and how coaches and players are reacting

Muffet McGraw, Notre Dame coach

"What we're saying is with this is, 'That's the way society is, let's let them do what they want.' The really scary part is, I feel like you're going to be in the handshake line after a game with people saying, 'Hey, you didn't play much today, why don't you come over here?'

"I like the way it is now, so I think it would be a terrible thing to do."

Statement from Dawn Staley, South Carolina coach

"Before I was a coach, I was a student-athlete -- some of the best years of my life were spent as a college basketball player. The goal of the NCAA should be to make that true for every single student that chooses to compete at any level of collegiate athletics. While some of the potential unintended consequences of these changes give me pause -- specifically shifting our sport to a never-ending cycle of recruiting and turning smaller programs into poaching grounds for larger ones -- I believe that they will ultimately enhance the experience for our young women, and that, after all, is really why we are here."

Kelly Graves, Oregon coach

"I feel any student-athlete, regardless of sport. should be able to transfer one time without penalty. It's done in most sports. I'm not sure the numbers would say the transfer penalty is even a deterrent. There are just a million different reasons why a person should be able to transfer. I don't like how the NCAA seems to arbitrarily rule on what reason is valid and what reason isn't. Either you don't let anybody transfer without penalty, or you let them all.

"If they transfer a second time, maybe then you impose a penalty -- sitting a year out. But one time is fine with me. I think there should be penalties if you find out that there is recruitment going on when players are already in college, but I don't see that's going to be any more of an issue than it is already. And it doesn't seem like the other sports that have transfers without penalties have chaos, any more than there is in basketball or football."

What the NCAA transfer proposal means, and how coaches and players are reacting

"What we're saying is with this is, 'That's the way society is, let's let them do what they want.' The really scary part is, I feel like you're going to be in the handshake line after a game with people saying, 'Hey, you didn't play much today, why don't you come over here?'

Statement from Dawn Staley, South Carolina coach

"Before I was a coach, I was a student-athlete -- some of the best years of my life were spent as a college basketball player. The goal of the NCAA should be to make that true for every single student that chooses to compete at any level of collegiate athletics. While some of the potential unintended consequences of these changes give me pause -- specifically shifting our sport to a never-ending cycle of recruiting and turning smaller programs into poaching grounds for larger ones -- I believe that they will ultimately enhance the experience for our young women, and that, after all, is really why we are here."

Kelly Graves, Oregon coach

"I feel any student-athlete, regardless of sport. should be able to transfer one time without penalty. It's done in most sports. I'm not sure the numbers would say the transfer penalty is even a deterrent. There are just a million different reasons why a person should be able to transfer. I don't like how the NCAA seems to arbitrarily rule on what reason is valid and what reason isn't. Either you don't let anybody transfer without penalty, or you let them all.

"If they transfer a second time, maybe then you impose a penalty -- sitting a year out. But one time is fine with me. I think there should be penalties if you find out that there is recruitment going on when players are already in college, but I don't see that's going to be any more of an issue than it is already. And it doesn't seem like the other sports that have transfers without penalties have chaos, any more than there is in basketball or football."

Does Muffet understand that coaches are free to come and go at their own leasure...if the buyout is low enough?

Reactions: lvocd

VN Store

Back