Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Also, some folks on this forum want to compare Holly vs Kellie based on how many 5 star players the program recruits. Let us wait and see what Kellie can do with the recruits she gets.

I would love to see this:
1. A list of the names of 5-star players Holly signed
1. A list of the names of the 5-star players Holly signed that stayed at Tennessee for their entire length of eligibility (didn’t leave early, transfer or get dismissed)

Reactions: mlindsay
I would love to see this:
1. A list of the names of 5-star players Holly signed
1. A list of the names of the 5-star players Holly signed that stayed at Tennessee for their entire length of eligibility (didn’t leave early, transfer or get dismissed)

That’s going to be the big one. Player retention dropped significantly the last few years. Very tough to have consistency in your program when you lose a potentially great player every year.

Kellie doesn’t necessarily need 5 star talent. She needs talent that will buy in to her system and play as a team. The ability to keep recruiting classes together is far more important than how they start imo.

With new proposed transfer rules it may not be long before players don’t have to sit out at all. Likely making it even more difficult to keep classes together.

Kellie doesn’t necessarily need 5 star talent. She needs talent that will buy in to her system and play as a team.

She sure didn’t need 5-star talent to get Missouri State to the S16 (and within only a handful of points of beating Stanford to get to the E8) last year, did she? It boggles my mind that there are people who are seriously questioning her coaching ability. :rolleyes:

Probably hasn't been done in the past 30 years if ever.

There are actually multiple teams every year that win a championship without “5 star” talent that’s why they have multiple regular season titles and tourney championships in the different leagues like the MEAC, CAA, A10, Sun Belt, etc.

There is no this team wins a championship without some 5 star talent not gonna happen and Kellie knows it. That`s why she is going after some 5 star talent. Some posters on this board need to remember this is not the MVC. If Kellie don`t need any 5 stars why did she offer Rivers, Key, Johnson, Wolfenbarger, ?

There is no this team wins a championship without some 5 star talent not gonna happen and Kellie knows it. That`s why she is going after some 5 star talent. Some posters on this board need to remember this is not the MVC. If Kellie don`t need any 5 stars why did she offer Rivers, Key, Johnson, Wolfenbarger, ?

Correct but the question was has there been a team to win a championship without five star talent and the short answer is yes.

Tennessee won the NCAA title with a record of 29 and 10. I don't think they rated recruits back then and sure some would have been rated five stars. Of course you need talented players to win the National Championship. The team that came the closest that I can remember was Mississippi State who had like two total five star players on their entire roster. They beat UConn but lost to SC in the title game. They didn't have a player ranked in the top ten but had two top fifty players.

I think the main points may be being missed here. First of all, we're trying to get back to respectabilty first...consistently ranked and being in or near Top Ten status. If getting there with 3 and 4 star recruits who buy in and are fundamenally sound will get us there quickly, then the exceptional talent will come. And then we will once again contend for national championships.

No one is saying that outstanding talent isn't desirable or necessary to be regularly elite or that Kellie isn't pursuing that talent.

I think the main points may be being missed here. First of all, we're trying to get back to respectabilty first...consistently ranked and being in or near Top Ten status. If getting there with 3 and 4 star recruits who buy in and are fundamenally sound will get us there quickly, then the exceptional talent will come. And then we will once again contend for national championships.

No one is saying that outstanding talent isn't desirable or necessary to be regularly elite or that Kellie isn't pursuing that talent.
I think exceptional and outstanding "talent" is being confused with exceptional athletic potential. In my book, you could jump out of the gym and break every timed run record but it doesn't become "talent" until those abilities can be translated successfully on the court to help win games. And "talent" also requires the focus and mental toughness to absorb a game plan and enact it consistently.

IMO a big problem is every coach thinks they're a genius - give me raw physical ability and I'll make a great player. Many are finding that transition, especially the fundamental skills and mental parts, are way harder to instill then they thought.

IMO a big problem is every coach thinks they're a genius - give me raw physical ability and I'll make a great player. Many are finding that transition, especially the fundamental skills and mental parts, are way harder to instill then they thought.

Yep. Teaching sound fundamental skills is an inherently slow process, and many new coaches soon find out that their biggest barrier to getting it done is not because of their own inability to teach/ instill, but in the limited amount of practice time allowed by NCAA rules. If a coach has players that need remedial work, she/he had better hope that those players are the type that are willing to get into the gym on their own, and who also take the expression, “Championships are won in the offseason” to heart.

Reactions: Dube and Rooster1
Yikes! Does anyone know which hospital room Coach Graves is in? I’d like to send him a “get well soon” card after hitting his head when he fainted as she was giving him the news. :eek:

But seriously... tough blow for the Ducks.

P.S. Obviously I was joking about Graves fainting and hitting his head!!!

I think this also opens the door for one of the top players in the class of 2021 that Graves offered ? Someone like Sonia Citron 6-1 of Scarsdale (N.Y.), 5 star, Sara Puckett 6-2, ?

Reactions: Voltopia
Auburn up 11 over MSST at the half. Not because MSST is playing awful either. Auburn is playing well. A little sloppy both ways, but a pretty good game.

If we think Auburn is going to be an easy get we have another thing coming. Better to show up to play or we will be in trouble.

Auburn up 11 over MSST at the half. Not because MSST is playing awful either. Auburn is playing well. A little sloppy both ways, but a pretty good game.

If we think Auburn is going to be an easy get we have another thing coming. Better to show up to play or we will be in trouble.
Yes, I think we beat Vandy and ole miss and lose at Auburn putting us at 19 wins. At that point we probably will have to win at least 1 in the sec tourney and as it stands now we could end up playing our old nemesis Alabama.

Yes, I think we beat Vandy and ole miss and lose at Auburn putting us at 19 wins. At that point we probably will have to win at least 1 in the sec tourney and as it stands now we could end up playing our old nemesis Alabama.

I was looking at the same thing today. That whole scenario makes my stomach turn. We really do have to beat Auburn.

I do believe Unique Thompson might have trouble with Key. Our post defense is generally pretty good. Benton is an excellent guard though and we tend to let talented guards have career nights.

VN Store

Back