Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I'm not a walker fan. At this point in their careers I would trade walker for davis even up and laugh all the way home. Davis on the UConn team after two years of integration would be awesome.

Why would you post something like this here? Speculating about poaching another teams players is inappropriate.

was it you that said Walker was a better player than Davis? While Walkers team has a better record Davis’ stats across all competition has been better wouldn’t you say? Even against the tougher opponents she shows up and does about what her averages are.
Nope, I said Davis was a better player than Walker for two years, but Walker showed more improvement coming into this season...which was true at the time I made the comment. Then the Baylor/Oregon/SC games exposed that Walker cannot create her own shot against a top notch defender...which Davis can.

I believe Darth was the one who said Walker was the far better player, and would prove it during the UConn game. That post didn't age well...🤷‍♂️.

Nope, I said Davis was a better player than Walker for two years, but Walker showed more improvement coming into this season...which was true at the time I made the comment. Then the Baylor/Oregon/SC games exposed that Walker cannot create her own shot against a top notch defender...which Davis can.

I believe Darth was the one who said Walker was the far better player, and would prove it during the UConn game. That post didn't age well...🤷‍♂️.

I knew there was back and forth and I wasn’t coming for you but was asking for clarification. Someone swore up and down that Walker WAS THE MUCH better player and wasn’t going to the convinced otherwise. Well against better competition I am fairly certain it’s either a tie or Davis is in the lead. Dangerfield is the engine that drives that team. While Davis drives ours.

I knew there was back and forth and I wasn’t coming for you but was asking for clarification. Someone swore up and down that Walker WAS THE MUCH better player and wasn’t going to the convinced otherwise. Well against better competition I am fairly certain it’s either a tie or Davis is in the lead. Dangerfield is the engine that drives that team. While Davis drives ours.
Pretty sure that it was Darth who said (paraphrasing) "Walker is by far the better player, and it isn't even close."

Davis got off to a slow start, but she's turned it up another level. Walker has been consistently good, unless she has to actually play against a good team that plays defense.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Crystal Dangerfield may prove to be one of the best point guards at UConn never to get a Natty. She plays hurt and is clutch in big games. If only she played for us

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Crystal Dangerfield may prove to be one of the best point guards at UConn never to get a Natty. She plays hurt and is clutch in big games. If only she played for us

Dangerfield is clutch on offense, but a liability on defense. In each of their losses, the opposing PG had their way with her...especially SC and Baylor.

I'd still take her though...

Reactions: Dube
I would like to see a UConn-DePaul rematch. UConn whipped them earlier in the year.
I do like Walkers jump shot. Williams is a slasher. Does anyone feel someone next year will take some of William’s minutes and possibly starting position?

I would like to see a UConn-DePaul rematch. UConn whipped them earlier in the year.
I do like Walkers jump shot. Williams is a slasher. Does anyone feel someone next year will take some of William’s minutes and possibly starting position?

Westbrook if she is healthy. Bueckers should start at the point from game 1. Bueckers could play the 2 when Muhl plays point. Williams would be spending more time on the bench this season if Geno had better options. She needs to get her head on straight and commit to improving her fitness and overall game.

Pretty sure that it was Darth who said (paraphrasing) "Walker is by far the better player, and it isn't even close."

Davis got off to a slow start, but she's turned it up another level. Walker has been consistently good, unless she has to actually play against a good team that plays defense.

I have a question was the conversation about Davis and Walker as individuals or which one plays on the better team?

Just curious ...

I thought we were talking about the players and their player rankings not teams.

When I look individual stats in that game it surely looks like Davis out played Walker in about the same time just about.

UConn can thank Dangerfield and Griffin for the win.

None of UConn’s “stars” played well in this one, including Dangerfield. They can thank Tennessee’s carelessness with the ball for the win (Davis contributed 4 turnovers).

Did anyone find where Megan disappeared off to 🤔?

Most likely the Final Four. Again...

I think she might consider transferring. She is simply inconsistent, in OOC play, and considering who is coming to them next season she could lose her starting spot.

Reactions: brassie
None of UConn’s “stars” played well in this one, including Dangerfield. They can thank Tennessee’s carelessness with the ball for the win (Davis contributed 4 turnovers).

Most likely the Final Four. Again...

Not saying it can’t happen, but a FF is unlikely unless they can get to at lest 4 starters showing up each game. This team is an enigma. They just don’t seem to have good chemistry

With more confidence building on our team we really can take them this season

Not saying it can’t happen, but a FF is unlikely unless they can get to at lest 4 starters showing up each game. This team is an enigma. They just don’t seem to have good chemistry

I think they have some of the same issues as the lady Vols. They have a player in Dangerfield who leads by example like Rennia. They are missing a vocal leader on the floor though.

They've lost 3 games, to what are easily the 3 best teams this year. As long as they can avoid being a 2 in their region, I like their chances.

Tennessee will never have an opportunity where UConn shoots that poorly again. They blew it...

I was thinking about Kelsey Plum and decided to look back at her recruiting. I didn’t really remember her being a high profile recruit. Ranked #26 overall by ESPN, #6 guard. Reading the descriptions of her play is funny in hindsight. You’d have never looked at that and thought, “she’s going to be the all time leading scorer in women’s basketball history.”

Attachments

• CFCF7BF1-5FF2-4C40-B31D-D4017F912032.png
    CFCF7BF1-5FF2-4C40-B31D-D4017F912032.png
    587.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 5E3FB9B2-8944-4218-B5AD-DB267A63C8C4.png
    5E3FB9B2-8944-4218-B5AD-DB267A63C8C4.png
    347.7 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: mcannon1
Kim Mulkey joins the 600 win club on the same night as Baylor MBB sets the BIG XII record with their 23rd consecutive win.

Baylor's Mulkey fastest Div. I coach to 600 wins

Baylor coach Kim Mulkey reached 600 career wins in fewer games (700) than any other Division I men's or women's coach with the No. 2 Lady Bears' 77-62 victory over Texas Tech on Tuesday night.

3pm3vk.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking about Kelsey Plum and decided to look back at her recruiting. I didn’t really remember her being a high profile recruit. Ranked #26 overall by ESPN, #6 guard. Reading the descriptions of her play is funny in hindsight. You’d have never looked at that and thought, “she’s going to be the all time leading scorer in women’s basketball history.”

In my view this, as well as the unfulfilled expectations regarding Walker and Williams--or Mercedes Russell--indicates how difficult it can be to evaluate accurately high school players in a way that predicts college level success. There are just so many variables: ability to grow, commitment and work ethic, coaching (and the ability to respond to it), team fit, basketball IQ, etc., etc.

It's certainly true that more players ranked 1-10, say, go on to have really impressive college careers than those rated, say, 40-50, but it's also true that a fair number of players in the first group never meet expectations (around 40% in the Hoopgurlz rankings I've looked at recently) while a Ryne Howard (#32 Hoopgurlz) flourishes. (I think she was ranked around #18 on Prospects Nation, which also indicates how much leeway there can be in these rankings.)

Or, closer to home for me, Oregon's Ruthy Hebard was ranked #40 and Satou Sabally, a junior like Walker and Davis, #36. (There was a Sabally/Walker argument similar to the Davis/Walker one.) Ionescu was ranked #4--fair enough since two of the players ranked higher have certainly had fine careers (Cox and Dangerfield)--but Joiner Holmes at #2 (she was actually ranked #1 that year by two services)? I'll stop with that.

Reactions: glv98 and VolBall09
In my view this, as well as the unfulfilled expectations regarding Walker and Williams--or Mercedes Russell--indicates how difficult it can be to evaluate accurately high school players in a way that predicts college level success. There are just so many variables: ability to grow, commitment and work ethic, coaching (and the ability to respond to it), team fit, basketball IQ, etc., etc.

It's certainly true that more players ranked 1-10, say, go on to have really impressive college careers than those rated, say, 40-50, but it's also true that a fair number of players in the first group never meet expectations (around 40% in the Hoopgurlz rankings I've looked at recently) while a Ryne Howard (#32 Hoopgurlz) flourishes. (I think she was ranked around #18 on Prospects Nation, which also indicates how much leeway there can be in these rankings.)

Or, closer to home for me, Oregon's Ruthy Hebard was ranked #40 and Satou Sabally, a junior like Walker and Davis, #36. (There was a Sabally/Walker argument similar to the Davis/Walker one.) Ionescu was ranked #4--fair enough since two of the players ranked higher have certainly had fine careers (Cox and Dangerfield)--but Joiner Holmes at #2 (she was actually ranked #1 that year by two services)? I'll stop with that.
Here is another example of what you are talking about... mikiah-harrigan

Doesn't matter if a player is a five star or a two star if they can't shoot the ball or pass or handle the ball doesn't matter their rating. Athleticism plays a huge role in the ratings and the rating services have a lot of hits as well as misses. Sometimes three star players turn into five star players and vice versa. We have two really athletic freshmen on this team, but their basketball skills at this time are very low need a lot of developing. What we'll need to see is if this staff can develop these players. To this point looks like they haven't done much sometimes there is just not enough time and upperclassmen leadership is also missing. The coaches still consider them two of the five best players on the team so you can see where we are. We don't have anybody better to play ahead of these two players and that is exactly why we are so inconsistent in our play.

VN Store

Back