Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

And in my nsvho, Geno would have beaten Dawn like a dirty rug in that game.

Too bad then for UConn that they decided not to play that game. South Carolina made the final and were waiting for them. Takes 6 wins to raise the banner. Not 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCspur
Near-future opponent heads up:

On Friday at 6:30 p.m. Texas will take on #12 N.C State in their first game of the Rainbow Wahine Classic in Hawaii. I don’t yet know if the game will be available to see live — I highly doubt it — but I’m hoping for at least a YouTube replay at some point.

This game is huge for Texas. They’ve struggled, but a win against the Pack could get them back on track. On Friday everyone will find out whether there has been any improvement since they dropped out of the polls, and for Tennessee’s sake, I hope they HAVE improved.

We really need for Texas to be at their best when they come to Knoxville on Dec. 8. If they come in confident and playing well after an upset victory over a well-coached, highly ranked team, Kellie will get a more accurate picture of HER team.

I feel strongly that the home game against Texas is a must-win for Tennessee, and that it will help our RPI much more if it comes after Texas just beat the Wolfpack. (Sorry, Wes!)

USC would have lost to UCONN for sure.

By evidence of the fact that I was in agreement with EVERYONE in my vast, educated “sports world” who’d had the exact same reaction to Connecticut’s loss — that “South Carolina just had one of the luckiest days in WCBB history” — I have agree that a SC national championship would have been a miracle-type occurrence if they’d had to play CT for it instead of an emotionally, physically depleted MSU.

Obviously we’ll never know. SC may very well have played the best game of their season and kicked some Huskie butt! (I most certainly would have been rooting for that!)

But objectively speaking, given the history of the results between the two programs up to that point, the odds were greatly in favor of another CT win. Dammit.

Reactions: mcannon1
Near-future opponent heads up:

On Friday at 6:30 p.m. Texas will take on #12 N.C State in their first game of the Rainbow Wahine Classic in Hawaii. I don’t yet know if the game will be available to see live — I highly doubt it — but I’m hoping for at least a YouTube replay at some point.

This game is huge for Texas. They’ve struggled, but a win against the Pack could get them back on track. On Friday everyone will find out whether there has been any improvement since they dropped out of the polls, and for Tennessee’s sake, I hope they HAVE improved.

We really need for Texas to be at their best when they come to Knoxville on Dec. 8. If they come in confident and playing well after an upset victory over a well-coached, highly ranked team, Kellie will get a more accurate picture of HER team.

I feel strongly that the home game against Texas is a must-win for Tennessee, and that it will help our RPI much more if it comes after Texas just beat the Wolfpack. (Sorry, Wes!)
Has Joyner Holmes from Texas played in any of the prior games against UT? I seem to remember she was injured. Texas has the talent to beat NC State and Tennessee, but which team will show up, kind of like Tennessee the last few years.

Too bad then for UConn that they decided not to play that game. South Carolina made the final and were waiting for them. Takes 6 wins to raise the banner. Not 4.

Exactly! We made it there and they didn’t it’s not our fault! I’m trying to figure out why this is still a topic though? SC certainly has the team to beat UConn this year so I’m going to leave that at that. LV fans may need to set their focus on making it back to the FF instead of worry about SC or UConn... Just Saying!

If UConn stays healthy the rest of the way the starting 5 is among the best, but a team with size and skill at the post position will give them problems(Baylor, Oregon, SC).The only starter that might foul out is Ono. The other 4 can play solid defense without fouling out.

Exactly! We made it there and they didn’t it’s not our fault! I’m trying to figure out why this is still a topic though? SC certainly has the team to beat UConn this year so I’m going to leave that at that. LV fans may need to set their focus on making it back to the FF instead of worry about SC or UConn... Just Saying!

Why are you letting the few in here cause you to disrespect the MANY that have taken up for dawn and given her lots of credit.

Some fans still worry/talk about UConn because UConn and their coach just put out all this stuff about UT. Fans also recognize that the UT/UConn rivalry help put women’s basketball where it is today.

Fans also recognize that we have had multiple down years and ARE worried about getting back to FFs and championships like UConn and on a smaller scale SC. That is a badge of honor that we are including SC in the talks because if you aren’t relevant you aren’t being talked about.

Now we have a different coach with a different feel and give her time because she will make a splash. While Kellie doesn’t have to start from ground zero she does have to build trust back in a fan base that has been disenchanted for many years. Give her time and I think she will get the talent here and butts back in the seats. You look at Dawn and how she was able to connect to that community and I think Kellie will do the same.

So please believe the LV fans have their eyes set on FFs and Championships but let’s not forget TN set the standard for the SEC and women’s basketball. Everybody in the SEC is looking up to TN in terms of championships! National titles, regular season SEC titles and Tourney titles... JUST SAYIN!

Have a happy thanksgiving !😃

Last edited:
This year I think SC can win it all...they have more talent on their bench than any other starting 5. I think their turkey will taste very good after this holiday tournament too.

SC is def talented ! But I think when it comes tourney time Oregon, Stanford, Baylor will be hard to beat. I really like Oregon... they are fun to watch with a transcendent type player. Baylor has DiDi Richards to guard her I don’t see Stanford, UConn, or other schools really having a player to stifle her.

SCSpur, have MHH and Harris gotten back on track? I have only seen the MD game and my impression was that those two did not make an impression. Just asking.

You gotta read the context of the discussion before getting defensive. This all began because many of us have been saying that Dawn's tough scheduling is ideal, which led to questions of scheduling toughness vs tournament outcomes.

It will be Oregon or Baylor to win it all. Stanford is a final four team and we'll have to wait and see if SC is a one seed or not. If they get in a bracket with Baylor or Oregon they will be eliminated.

SC is def talented ! But I think when it comes tourney time Oregon, Stanford, Baylor will be hard to beat. I really like Oregon... they are fun to watch with a transcendent type player. Baylor has DiDi Richards to guard her I don’t see Stanford, UConn, or other schools really having a player to stifle her.

The Hull twins are both especially adept defenders. Tara has the advantage of essentially subbing them 1 for 1 defensively. They’re long, fast and have great hands. Not quite DiDi status, but they’ll frustrate some great players in the PAC-12 this season.

Spur, I certainly didn’t mean anything I said as insults to your team or coach. I was thrilled for all of you when you got that natty, and will root for y’all again if you reach the final this year. I have GREAT respect for what Dawn Staley has done at South Carolina. It was a near-miraculous turnaround of a program that once was an easy win for Tennessee EVERY year. No more! :eek:

But all that said, I would imagine that outside of the winning team and staff that the single happiest person in the world as the final buzzer sounded in the Miss St.-Connecticut game was Dawn Staley. There were few fans of WCBB who weren’t thinking, “OMG, Dawn just caught a huge break!”

And yes, it takes SIX wins and the Gamecocks were the only team able to do it. It was awesome! By the way, Tennessee benefited from early losses of strong opponents in the NCAA Tournament on the way to championships, too.

It will be Oregon or Baylor to win it all. Stanford is a final four team and we'll have to wait and see if SC is a one seed or not. If they get in a bracket with Baylor or Oregon they will be eliminated.

Well SC will play Baylor this weekend we’ll see how the cards stack up. I agree Oregon is very good and will be tough in the tournament but if SC makes it to the FF anything can happen.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Well SC will play Baylor this weekend we’ll see how the cards stack up. I agree Oregon is very good and will be tough in the tournament but if SC makes it to the FF anything can happen.
My FF so far is Oregon, Baylor, and SC. Not sure who else matches up yet, it's an exciting season!

Why did the chicken's cross the road? to avoid the Gee no truck...

Happy tainted Nc's everyone....

lol j/k around...

VN Store

Back