Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I like how both teams ran the high post. Seems like SC let up defensiv in the 2qt.
If that continues, UConn could easily get back in the game.

Dawn just said it a half in the interview we have size length and speed. Now that is the way you recruit you just can`t recruit anyone ?

Ur saying it like it's easy to get top players with a first yr coach.

Last edited:
I like how both teams ran the high post. Seems like SC let up defensiv in the 2qt.
If that continues, UConn could easily get back in the game.

Good teams, Baylor and Oregon, have disrupted UConn and not permitted their transition game to become a factor. UConn has never been a really good half court offense. It’s been great defense leading to transition basketball

Dawn’s team will have to play zero defense for the rest of the game for UConn to pull this out. Don’t see that happening

Reactions: stlvolsfan
lol

Noone would be dumb enough to say that seriously, of course... but it’s too bad that there are so many Lady Vols fans that can’t understand that sometimes even great coaches can struggle to get good players to be great players.
He poked fun at Pat at end of her career with just such comments. He isnt physically well, and with more talent then anyone, yes, they are horribly coached. He is slipping and karma is sinking in. Sorry but the little guy is losing it mentally and physically, too bad

Dawn has always been worthy. Some may not like her and I don't like her looking like she just smelled a fart all the time on the sidelines but she is a good coach. The sad thing is Dave Hart and the hiring of Holly as coach let South Carolina slip in and take our spot in the SEC. It's going to be a hard fought struggle for us to get our top spot back as long as Dawn is there but we will keep trying to get it back until we do. Congrats Gamecocks but Go Lady Vols!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JustaChicken
Needy, for the record, I have never said you were “denigrating LV basketball” in any way.

What I am saying is that you use the Lady Vol board to discuss and “humble-brag” about the Connecticut Huskies, and you and NewDog can get awfully p!ssy and defensive if Lady Vol fans on a Lady Vol fan board don’t love the Connecticut Huskies as much as either of you do. Sure, you may later apologize “if you said too much,” but... come on.

There are actually boards specifically for people who love the Connecticut Huskies, and this one isn’t it. Every few weeks I even look at the Boneyard to catch up with what’s going on in Husky Land. That’s where I go because that’s where I expect to read endless points/counterpoints regarding the Connecticut Huskies. NOT VolNation.

People have said UCONN will be better next year but I disagree. Dangerfield makes clutch basket after clutch basket. Who will be their starting PG next year?

You make a good point: most Gamecock fans were ecstatic of course over the very talented class that came in for this year, but no one knew how good those players would be. Boston and Cooke are turning out to be very good, and Beal still has some issues offensively, but she's such a strong player overall offensively and defensively - rebounding, steals, blocked shots, defending opposing top offensive players NOT posts, etc. - that she still brings a ton to the table every game.

As it turned out, those freshman players are making a much more immediate impact for the Gamecocks. A'ja Wilson was able to help lead the team to its first ever Final Four her freshman season, and they were a made field goal at the game-ending buzzer shy of taking it all the way to the championship game, but Wilson had Mitchell, Welch, Ibiam, and Coates to lean on. Harris and Herbert-Harrigan were always more supporting role players offensively - Harris led the SEC in steals and assists per game as a sophomore, so she showed her value early on, but she was never a major offensive player - but this season they have stepped up into true leaders in that regard. Herbert-Harrigan is also a very talented shot-blocker and rebounder, although the latter stat she sometimes steps away from asserting herself more there.

But as to Connecticut: they have Dangerfield, Walker, Williams, and Nelson-Ododa as their top scorers this season - all averaging in double-digits. They have played 5 top-25 ranked opponents this season, all Q1 rated RPI opponents. They are 2-3 against them.

Against all other opponents, Walker averaged 20.6 ppg, Williams averaged 16.4 ppg, Dangerfield averaged 14.7 ppg, and Nelson-Ododa averaged 11.6 pts.

Against those top-25 opponents, Dangerfield averaged 19.8 ppg, Walker averaged 13.4 ppg, Williams averaged 10.0 ppg, and Nelson-Ododa averaged 9.4 ppg.

Dangerfield stepped up, and Walker and Williams seems to have padded their stats against the weak and feeble of the Huskies' schedule. Dangerfield is graduating, and taking that "rise to the challenge" leadership with her. Those great talented incoming freshmen of the CT. class will have to rely on Walker and WIlliams - and I suppose Westbrook - to provide that upperclassman guidance for 2020-21. It doesn't look all that promising. Even Lobo, Taurasi, and Stewart had to develop into their great careers....

Dawn has always been worthy. Some may not like her and I don't like her looking like she just smelled a fart all the time on the sidelines but she is a good coach. The sad thing is Dave Hart and the hiring of Holly as coach let South Carolina slip in and take our spot in the SEC. It's going to be a hard sought struggle for us to get our top spot back as long as Dawn is there but we will keep trying to get it back until we do. Congrats Gamecocks but Go Lady Vols!!!

Why is that any different from Coach Summitt always looking like someone convinced her that she had Superman-like heat vision on the sidelines, and she was trying to bore holes through players, referees, everyone?? And I seriously doubt that South Carolina's rise in SEC and national WCBB stature had to do with whatever some guy named Dave Hart was doing in his office in Knoxville......

Reactions: LVsinceJV

VN Store

Back