Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

When South Carolina took a 38-24 lead into the halftime of their game, it looked like their streak of opening the SEC schedule with consecutive games of scoring 90+ pts was about to end at 3, but a 55-point 2nd-half explosion extended the streak to 4 straight and counting. If I am not mistaken, that is a new conference mark for consecutive 90+ game scores to start the SEC season in a single season.

The 1997-98 Tennessee Lady Vols came very close to first setting that feat, and almost made it 6 straight games: they opened the '97-'98 season beating Mississippi 92-54, before falling just 2 points shy of 90 pts in a 88-58 route of Arkansas. They then peeled off 4 straight 90+ pt. wins - 94-52 over South Carolina, 99-60 over Florida, 96-71 over Georgia, and 93-65 over Kentucky. They would beat Vanderbilt 86-54 in the 7th SEC game, but the streak would be ended.

That Lady Vol team would go 39-0, 14-0 on the season, as I'm sure most here remember....

The 1992-93 Lady Vol team would start the SEC schedule with two 90+ point wins, with a 95-61 win over Louisiana State, and a 109-52 blow-out of Mississippi State, but then "only" win the 3rd SEC game 70-59 versus Auburn.

South Carolina will seek to extend their streak to 5 SEC games at Missouri on Thursday night.......

Reactions: JustaChicken
When South Carolina took a 38-24 lead into the halftime of their game, it looked like their streak of opening the SEC schedule with consecutive games of scoring 90+ pts was about to end at 3, but a 55-point 2nd-half explosion extended the streak to 4 straight and counting. If I am not mistaken, that is a new conference mark for consecutive 90+ game scores to start the SEC season in a single season.

The 1997-98 Tennessee Lady Vols came very close to first setting that feat, and almost made it 6 straight games: they opened the '97-'98 season beating Mississippi 92-54, before falling just 2 points shy of 90 pts in a 88-58 route of Arkansas. They then peeled off 4 straight 90+ pt. wins - 94-52 over South Carolina, 99-60 over Florida, 96-71 over Georgia, and 93-65 over Kentucky. They would beat Vanderbilt 86-54 in the 7th SEC game, but the streak would be ended.

That Lady Vol team would go 39-0, 14-0 on the season, as I'm sure most here remember....

The 1992-93 Lady Vol team would start the SEC schedule with two 90+ point wins, with a 95-61 win over Louisiana State, and a 109-52 blow-out of Mississippi State, but then "only" win the 3rd SEC game 70-59 versus Auburn.

South Carolina will seek to extend their streak to 5 SEC games at Missouri on Thursday night.......
They’re going to beat the hell out of Mizzou. Dawn hates them, she will show no mercy!

Looking forward to the ranking today after a weekend of upsets and defeats up and down the ranks with a few teams surviving. Looks to me either SC, Baylor, or Stanford will get the number one spot and totally expect they will be the top three. One loss Louisville and undefeated UCLA seem to be able to move up a couple of spots. Still in the top ten Oregon State, UConn, and Oregon probably then you have teams lIke Mississippi State, Florida State that also looking to move up. NC State should be out of the top ten with their loss Gonzaga could take a leap close to the top 15. Hard to say who will be number one today but my choice is South Carolina they have the best rpi of the three contenders, but Baylors huge win on the road could be enough to propel them to that number one position. Interesting to see today.

Looking forward to the ranking today after a weekend of upsets and defeats up and down the ranks with a few teams surviving. Looks to me either SC, Baylor, or Stanford will get the number one spot and totally expect they will be the top three. One loss Louisville and undefeated UCLA seem to be able to move up a couple of spots. Still in the top ten Oregon State, UConn, and Oregon probably then you have teams lIke Mississippi State, Florida State that also looking to move up. NC State should be out of the top ten with their loss Gonzaga could take a leap close to the top 15. Hard to say who will be number one today but my choice is South Carolina they have the best rpi of the three contenders, but Baylors huge win on the road could be enough to propel them to that number one position. Interesting to see today.

I look for TN to move up from 23 to 19

Perhaps, but I would prefer the LVs stay under the radar until March.
Tennessee is one of the premier programs in the country...good luck with the "under the radar" thing. Most programs still measure their programs playing Tennessee. It's not like you are going to sneak up on anyone. Tennessee will always get everyone's best shot.....because they are Tennessee !

Minnesota suspends top scorer Pitts for conduct

Looks like it`s about to get ugly in Minnesota !

Taiye Bello and Kehinde Bello did not play because of there support for Pitts per twitter. ?

Sounds like a mess to me. They were overrated from the start this season. Everyone had them so highly favored because Whalen is there now. So far I’m not impressed.

They are about to have a long, sad, BIG 10 season.

Tennessee is one of the premier programs in the country...good luck with the "under the radar" thing. Most programs still measure their programs playing Tennessee. It's not like you are going to sneak up on anyone. Tennessee will always get everyone's best shot.....because they are Tennessee !

...As the fish said when it turned and ran into a concrete wall....dam right!

Sounds like a mess to me. They were overrated from the start this season. Everyone had them so highly favored because Whalen is there now. So far I’m not impressed.

They are about to have a long, sad, BIG 10 season.
i agree what a mess for Lindsay Whalen

Interesting week, bound to change significantly again next week. I think they got the #1 team right for now. But that #1 ranking has been a curse this season.

I thought we might move up a slot of two with two comfortable wins last week even though they were unranked opponents. Looks like we took a procedural bump down due to wins over ranked opponents by Iowa and Az State.

I won’t be shocked if Az State loses to either Washington or Washington state and falls back to the bottom of the top 25 or out altogether like Texas. I watched their two victories over the Oregon schools and they benefitted heavily from the home court advantage. IMO the officials let them get away with a lot because they were undersized. Their defense was very solid, but they got away with a lot of physical play, and some outright fouls, that won’t fly most of the time.

Last edited:
Interesting week, bound to change significantly again next week. I think they got the #1 team right for now. But that #1 ranking has been a curse this season.

I thought we might move up a slot of two with two comfortable wins last week even though they were unranked opponents. Looks like we took a procedural bump down due to wins over ranked opponents by Iowa and Az State.

I won’t be shocked if Az State loses to either Washington or Washington state and falls back to the bottom of the top 25 or out altogether like Texas. I watched their two victories over the Oregon schools and they benefitted heavily from the home court advantage. IMO the officials let them get away with a lot because they were undersized. Their defense was very solid, but they got away with a lot of physical play, and some outright fouls, that won’t fly most of the time.

We won;t get respect until they're sure....we teased them under CHW and made them look bad for ranking us in season's past/
Just more opportunity for Coach K to shine

VN Store

Back