Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Oregon beat Team USA 93-86
We'll see how UConn does against USA in January. So far though, Oregon really looks like the team to beat, with a well-deserved top ranking. Sabally's game is so similar to Candace's, it's crazy. I could see her competing with Carter for top draft pick next season (if neither leave early).

I assume most LSU fans were at home preparing for the LSU vs Alabama football game.

And what a game that was! Yep, SEC women’s basketball has a near impossible task in competing for fans on football Saturdays. LSU v ALA football was likely the most-watched game since the last national championship game, so the women were fortunate to draw as many as they did!

We'll see how UConn does against USA in January. So far though, Oregon really looks like the team to beat, with a well-deserved top ranking. Sabally's game is so similar to Candace's, it's crazy. I could see her competing with Carter for top draft pick next season (if neither leave early).

Do you think thegamecwill be available somewhere on replay? I’m anxious to see the Ducks in action.

Do you think thegamecwill be available somewhere on replay? I’m anxious to see the Ducks in action.
Folks have put the other USA vs NCAA games up on youtube within a day, typically. I only got to see the first quarter live so I'm in the same boat as you.

Reactions: lvocd
Different team if Griner were playing for team USA.

DiDi Richards locked Ionescu down and frustrated her all game last season. I can see it happening again this season.
Oregon was really operating under a handycap during the NCAA's. They had injuries galore. Hebard had been playing injured since the Pac12 playoffs. Any player can have an off night. There short handed roster caught up with them at the end of the game, They just ran out of gas.

By the way Ionescu didn't score her points until the second half. Then she went crazy and scored 30. Sabally was unstoppable and scored 25. Hebard did well in the paint as well. I disagree team USA took the game very seriously. They tried really hard once they could not pull away and looked desperate when they lost the lead.

Team USA will not only have Griner, but also Della Don and Stewart as well. They are certainly better than Oregon, but just got caught by surprise on a bad night. Oregon played intense defense. Not at all like they were famous for in the pass.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
She is the No. 5 player and No. 1 Forward according to ESPN.

amari-deberry

1573257309799-png.47893

Interesting.

Her complexion totally changes when she turns to her right.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
Oregon was really operating under a handycap during the NCAA's. They had injuries galore. Hebard had been playing injured since the Pac12 playoffs. Any player can have an off night. There short handed roster caught up with them at the end of the game, They just ran out of gas.

By the way Ionescu didn't score her points until the second half. Then she went crazy and scored 30. Sabally was unstoppable and scored 25. Hebard did well in the paint as well. I disagree team USA took the game very seriously. They tried really hard once they could not pull away and looked desperate when they lost the lead.

Team USA will not only have Griner, but also Della Don and Stewart as well. They are certainly better than Oregon, but just got caught by surprise on a bad night. Oregon played intense defense. Not at all like they were famous for in the pass.
Who would typically be a USA starter, assuming back from injury/overseas? I feel like Nneka showed her value in these exhibition games (and Diggins, Wilson, and C. Gray) but I wonder if she'd get bumped to the bench for EDD or Stewart.

Different team if Griner were playing for team USA.

DiDi Richards locked Ionescu down and frustrated her all game last season. I can see it happening again this season.

yea but they didn’t have Griner just like they didn’t have Griner for the other games team USA played and still were able to beat the college teams.

I know you feel the need to come to Baylor’s rescue but this wasn’t an attack on Baylor this was me saying while Baylor is going to be good (really good most likely) I don’t think they’re the best team. I even think they may be ranked number one this year because the Pac12 will beat up on each other.

Again this isn’t an indictment on how bad Baylor is but just how good Oregon is right now. Injuries could also play a factor by years end too if either has significant injuries that could change the complexity of the team.

But sit back and relax your team will be pretty darn good this year😎

Reactions: 1reVOLver
South Carolina (8) @ Maryland (4) today at 3pm on ESPN. Will be attending this one today, excited to see Staley and Frese go at it. I've always been more lukewarm on Brenda's teams (same as with Walz and his squads), just generally less than impressed, and I'm not sure why. I wonder what she can make of this excellent bunch, we'll see!

Other noteworthy games today:

Cal @ UConn (5), 1pm on ESPN3
Kentucky (13) @ Middle Tennessee, 4pm on ESPN+
Duke @ Texas A&M (6), 4pm on SECN+
Iowa State @ Drake, 3pm on ESPN+
Nebraska @ Missouri, 3pm on SECN+
Missouri State @ Boise State, 4pm

Really interested in how Duke and Kentucky perform, and keeping my eye on the MVC's top teams as well.

Last edited:
South Carolina (8) @ Maryland (4) today....finally a competitive game!!! I think SC will move up in the ratings this week

I noticed that a Boneyard poster said Breanna Stewart “has always been the closer,” regarding her outstanding record in convincing recruits to commit to Connecticut.

Cute. (Also an NCAA recruiting violation)

What is the recruiting violation?

VN Store

Back