Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Dre'una Edwards with 27 pts and 15 rbds in UK's 20 point win over Belmont. That's impressive that two different players had huge games with Howard serving a suspension. Edwards gives them that inside scoring and rebounding threat that they've been missing the last two years.

Dre'una Edwards with 27 pts and 15 rbds in UK's 20 point win over Belmont. That's impressive that two different players had huge games with Howard serving a suspension. Edwards gives them that inside scoring and rebounding threat that they've been missing the last two years.

She is versatile and a big body... Also saw Treasure Hunt had an off game didn’t score. she had a pretty good first game just shows you how the world of a freshman is i guess.

i wonder how the shot distribution will be when Howard gets back.

Oh... and the commentators kept saying Massengill will have to sit the year out. don’t know if it’s because she hasn’t been approved yet or not.

I thought everybody was getting ok’d then last week there were three denials...

Anyways and most importantly go LV!

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
i wonder how the shot distribution will be when Howard gets back.
I think she'll rack up more assists, but will still have the ball in her hands when it matters. She didn't have confident scorers around her last year. With Edwards and a more experienced Patterson, I think they won't be as predictable.

Arkansas getting THUMPED by MD...

End of the 3rd MD 98 (yes you read that correctly 98 points) to 70 Ark

i am amazed this team almost had 100 points in 3 quarters!

Arkansas getting THUMPED by MD...

End of the 3rd MD 98 (yes you read that correctly 98 points) to 70 Ark

i am amazed this team almost had 100 points in 3 quarters!

Brenda must be thrilled with Katie Benzan, who appears to be one of the biggest steals from the transfer portal. Six triples against Arkansas, and averaging 17 pts across 3 games with 11 made threes in those games. I wonder why Vic rescinded her offer when he took over at Texas? You would think anyone would want a sharpshooter like her.

Well your last sentence took the words right out of my mouth. For as long as I've been around, UK has NEVER had a versatile 4 quite like we potentially have in Edwards this year. Was great to see glimpses of what she can be as we move further down the road. I mentioned I would have a better idea of this team after the 2nd game since Howard comes back for the next game and it looks as if she has the help she needs around her. It's going to be a fun season in the SEC.

Also, I think there are a few South Carolina fans around here, are they not as dominant as everyone thought they would be? Or are there people not playing? They've had 2 close calls this weekend against non-power 5 teams (Although, both very good squads)

Well your last sentence took the words right out of my mouth. For as long as I've been around, UK has NEVER had a versatile 4 quite like we potentially have in Edwards this year. Was great to see glimpses of what she can be as we move further down the road. I mentioned I would have a better idea of this team after the 2nd game since Howard comes back for the next game and it looks as if she has the help she needs around her. It's going to be a fun season in the SEC.

Also, I think there are a few South Carolina fans around here, are they not as dominant as everyone thought they would be? Or are there people not playing? They've had 2 close calls this weekend against non-power 5 teams (Although, both very good squads)

If I were a SC fan, I wouldn't worry too much. 3 games in 3 days, with two of them pretty good teams. With NC State and Iowa State looming in the next 7 days, they (along with Maryland) have easily played the toughest schedule of the big name teams so far. The NC State game will be telling. If SC can take control of that one end to end, then the early games won't matter. I have to say that Destanni Henderson has been the breakout star of their weekend tournament. She can flat-out score! But they seem to be missing that steady playmaking that Harris brought to the team for 4 years, and you can't replace that overnight.

Brenda must be thrilled with Katie Benzan, who appears to be one of the biggest steals from the transfer portal. Six triples against Arkansas, and averaging 17 pts across 3 games with 11 made threes in those games. I wonder why Vic rescinded her offer when he took over at Texas? You would think anyone would want a sharpshooter like her.

Katie finished the game with another pair of triples...8 in all...for 28 points. Damn!

Katie finished the game with another pair of triples...8 in all...for 28 points. Damn!

Speaking of Vic Chloe had one helluva complete game too.... One he let go and the other transferred from MSU and they both ended up with MD which was definitely their gain.

Reactions: Amb3096
Speaking of Vic Chloe had one helluva complete game too.... One he let go and the other transferred from MSU and they both ended up with MD which was definitely their gain.
Yeah, especially since Maryland was hurting with all of those transfers, and Brenda basically got 2 starters out of it. I guess she's playing the center position for MD? She's not that tall, but she's strong and physical. Brenda should thank her lucky stars that her waiver was approved.

IMO, Chloe would have left MSST whether Vic stayed or not; I think she saw the writing on the wall with Rickea Jackson and Sidney Cooks and knew that she wouldn't be getting the same minutes.

If I were a SC fan, I wouldn't worry too much. 3 games in 3 days, with two of them pretty good teams. With NC State and Iowa State looming in the next 7 days, they (along with Maryland) have easily played the toughest schedule of the big name teams so far. The NC State game will be telling. If SC can take control of that one end to end, then the early games won't matter. I have to say that Destanni Henderson has been the breakout star of their weekend tournament. She can flat-out score! But they seem to be missing that steady playmaking that Harris brought to the team for 4 years, and you can't replace that overnight.

SC def got into a good tourney glad it didn’t get cancelled like so many others those were some good games. SC def had/has a tough schedule! Their tourney def benefited them and the Big 12/SEC draw is a good test for them!

I am also impressed with MDs bounce back from yesterday.

Gonzaga will be a top 10 team before the year ends mark my words. South Dakota will also be ranked those are two of the best mid major teams in the country. Better to play tough teams you could possibly see in tournament versus beating up on cupcakes.

Gonzaga will be a top 10 team before the year ends mark my words. South Dakota will also be ranked those are two of the best mid major teams in the country. Better to play tough teams you could possibly see in tournament versus beating up on cupcakes.
True! Scheduling weak teams accomplishes nothing.

True! Scheduling weak teams accomplishes nothing.

That’s why i’m upset. We had the #2 team scheduled (Covid) , We had a top 25 team scheduled ND (covid). Then we had a tourney where we would of played to Power 5 teams.

I wish we had some tougher teams earlier but i guess that was the luck of the draw as some teams and tourneys were cancelled while others got to play 😕

there's a lot of advantage to having at least one or two creampuffs early,,,they allow you to look at your entire roster for more than just garbage minutes...e.g..would we know how much potential Marta has if we started out playing top ten teams?? or would we have been able to look at Destiny for extended minutes....

Nope.
We would be forced to field the team based on knowledge we had, not knowledge we gained.

Yes we need to schedule top teams,,but not on games 1 or 2,,,at least that is my philosophy.

Unless of course, if we came back the following year with a top ten team and no one leaving it,,,then heck yeah, give me top ten teams from day one.

but not when rebuilding and looking at new potentials.
Games 3-on, absolutely...but there is a distinct advantage to being able to look at your whole roster in the early season

What's going on at LSU? Got beat by BYU by 16, Washington beat BYU by 29. WVU beat LSU by 20, with LSU just scoring 42 points. Yikes!!

I'm suprise She's still coaching them. That team is not working for her, I don't kn if she's waiting to get fire.

A lot of parity this season so you better come to play every game. Arkansas over Wake Forest by 16. So Missouri over Maryland. Wake Forest over So Missouri. Maryland over Arkansas so who is the best team out of these four as everybody beat each other and most of the game were not that close.

Be glad SD and Gonzaga aren't in the SEC as they would more than hold their own. SD lost two games last year and one was a close call in Columbia. The gamecocks have issues at the charity stripe otherwise the Gonzaga game would have been a more comfortable win. Two more ranked teams to play this week. #8 NC State on Thursday should be fun. Dawn tunes up for the SEC by scheduling the tougher teams.

Be glad SD and Gonzaga aren't in the SEC as they would more than hold their own. SD lost two games last year and one was a close call in Columbia. The gamecocks have issues at the charity stripe otherwise the Gonzaga game would have been a more comfortable win. Two more ranked teams to play this week. #8 NC State on Thursday should be fun. Dawn tunes up for the SEC by scheduling the tougher teams.
Gonzaga shot only 38% from the FT line but took something like 28 less attempts than SC.

What's going on at LSU? Got beat by BYU by 16, Washington beat BYU by 29. WVU beat LSU by 20, with LSU just scoring 42 points. Yikes!!
Creme has the Lady Vols 7th in the SEC behind LSU........I'll just wait till we face WV before I say we are better then LSU

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBalls33
MD 115-Arkansas 96...when both teams score high like this I tend to interpret these numbers as run-and-gun play, high shooting frequency with little attention paid to defense. Wondering how well that'll work out for Arkansas in conference play.

Arkansas’ defense was suspect to begin with. That being said, Maryland was Arkansas’ 4th opponent in 5 days with Thanksgiving in the middle. It was Maryland’s 3rd game in three days as well so it was a little ugly both ways at times. Maryland defended Arkansas well in the first half and built a huge lead. Maryland let off the gas defensively in the second half or it would have been an even bigger deficit.

Arkansas had trouble getting out to shooters and stopping the ball all night. Miller, Reese and Owusu ran layup drill in transition all night and nobody ever stopped them. They crushed Arkansas on the glass as well. Bibby and Benzan got a ton of looks they normally wouldn’t because Arkansas was two steps slow. Most of Benzan’s 8 3s were wide open, even late in the game after she already hit 6.

Arkansas can’t play defense that poorly and expect to finish in the top half of the SEC though. Teams like SC, Kentucky, UT and others will bother them defensively with their length like Maryland did. If Maryland had applied the same defensive pressure in both halves Arkansas would have scored in the high 70s. Freese obviously lit a fire under her team after that loss to Mo State. Arkansas is going to get crushed on the boards all year in the SEC.

VN Store

Back