Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I always want the talented bigs to go to Baylor. All the other schools on her list she’ll spend most of her time setting screens. Kim is the best modern coach in terms of using the big girls appropriately.
You really believe that she will set screens if she went all of the other schools? Did Aaliyah Boston just set screens at South Carolina or Tina Charles at UConn?

Reactions: Mr. Doo Wop
Expected at this point in KJH's tenure, yes. After another year or two at the helm, she should be recruiting, successfully, top five rated talent. If not, it will be time for a reset.
Are you referring to just KJH because she's only been on the job for a couple years in that she shouldn't be on any top five rated recruits or new coaches in general? ND has a new coach and they are on the list.

I hate to be so blunt, but when Ivey took over at Notre Dame there was only one atypically-abysmal season between a national championship and a coaching change.

By the time Kellie took over at Tennessee, the Lady Vols had, sadly, become the punchline to many WCBB jokes. The program had set dozens of negative records and lost its place in all but one of the positive records after suffering the death of THE most iconic figure to ever grace the sport. Helen Keller could have seen that replacing someone who was arguably THE gold standard of natural-born LEADER/TRAILBLAZERS with someone who’d been quite happy to play the subdued role of supporter/soother for her whole career was unlikely to end well.

NOONE should have been surprised when perusing coaching resumes that someone of Holly’s nature looks far better, in hindsight, as a loyal, dedicated ASSISTANT to much stronger, more headstrong head coaches.

I’ve said more than I should have already.

Last edited:
I hate to be so blunt, but when Ivey took over at Notre Dame there was only one atypically-abysmal season between a national championship and a coaching change.

By the time Kellie took over at Tennessee, the Lady Vols had, sadly, become the punchline to many WCBB jokes. The program had set dozens of negative records and lost its place in all but one of the positive records after suffering the death of THE most iconic figure to ever grace the sport. Helen Keller could have seen that replacing someone who was arguably THE gold standard of natural-born LEADER/TRAILBLAZERS with someone who’d been quite happy to play the subdued role of supporter/soother for her whole career was unlikely to end well.

NOONE should have been surprised when perusing coaching resumes that someone of Holly’s nature looks far better, in hindsight, as a loyal, dedicated ASSISTANT to much stronger, more headstrong head coaches.

I’ve said more than I should have already.

lv, you and I have been on the same page before and on opposite ends of the spectrum as well...here we are on the same page.

The perfect ending to a new beginning for the program would have been for CHW to step in and run things as they had been run, but, CHW was a follower who was in the position of a leader...Leadership is a character-makeup that only a few can have. In corporations as well as in the military, a single leader can lead hundreds or even thousands...The leaders have sub-leaders who carry out their directives, but in the end, the sub-leaders are in fact followers....True leaders are of the rarest breed.

Even though Kellie has significantly less number of years and experience at the SEC level leadership, she was/is in fact in a position to lead where she was arguably accomplishing "more with less"... The only question I have with Coach k is,,, "Can she do more with more?"

She has already assumed the role, in that she has positioned herself in the spotlight and taken the focus off of the players...She has in her first real year of recruiting gotten 4 of the top 100 players...She has strengthened the present team at its spots of weaknesses (shooting-scorers and backup PG)...Now the only things left in question are:
  • Will she grow in "in-game" coaching (e.g..subbing with purpose, using timeouts wisely, holding players more accountable for on-court flubs and getting in their grill when they need to be addressed, elimination of stagnation in offensive flow,, etc).
  • Given only 1 or 2 spots in 2022 and beyond, will she fill those spots with consensus all-american recruits
  • Can she take the mantle of "The legend, Coach Pat Summitt's program" and make it "Coach Kellie Harper's program" and not be intimidated by the leadership that preceded her
It will be intriguing to find out,,,

I will do what I have always done here on VolNation...I will focus on the coaching and defend the players who need defending and not-defending the players who should be performing at a higher level.

I look forward to seeing how things progress

Last edited:
Are you referring to just KJH because she's only been on the job for a couple years in that she shouldn't be on any top five rated recruits or new coaches in general? ND has a new coach and they are on the list.

I think that 80% of the answer has been provided by CJ. See below.
"Can she do more with more?"

• Will she grow in "in-game" coaching (e.g..subbing with purpose, using timeouts wisely, holding players more accountable for on-court flubs and getting in their grill when they need to be addressed, elimination of stagnation in offensive flow,, etc).
  • Given only 1 or 2 spots in 2022 and beyond, will she fill those spots with consensus all-american recruits
  • Can she take the mantle of "The legend, Coach Pat Summitt's program" and make it "Coach Kellie Harper's program" and not be intimidated by the leadership that preceded her

The remainder of my answer to you is—

• IF she fulfills CJ's points, above, will she have made UT WBB attractive to top five, or at least top ten recruits?

• Will she and her staff have the recruiting skills to land those special talents?

I think it would be fair to compare results over the next two years with what Schaeffer does at Tx, Ivey at ND, and Banghart at UNC. I will observe, rather than predict.

I think it would be fair to compare results over the next two years with what Schaeffer does at Tx, Ivey at ND, and Banghart at UNC. I will observe, rather than predict.

Right now I'm observing those three coaches crushing Harper on the recruiting trail...

What do you mean by competition? We need to be on that list of nine. Not all of them are the elite programs.
The only two schools on that list that isn't considered to be elite is ASU and UCLA and UCLA for the past four seasons has been good enough to make at least the S16 the last and finish no longer than fourth in the PAC 12. Betts is in PAC-12 territory and it makes sense that she was have more PAC-12 schools on her list.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
The only two schools on that list that isn't considered to be elite is ASU and UCLA and UCLA for the past four seasons has been good enough to make at least the S16 the last and finish no longer than fourth in the PAC 12. Betts is in PAC-12 territory and it makes sense that she was have more PAC-12 schools on her list.

Yea, agreed. i think we need to be in on some of the top prospects too. but i really feel like the 2021 class is pretty good but they seem selfless and from their interviews and their playing from vids they seem like they want to do whatever to win and other players will be attracted to that

Yea, agreed. i think we need to be in on some of the top prospects too. but i really feel like the 2021 class is pretty good but they seem selfless and from their interviews and their playing from vids they seem like they want to do whatever to win and other players will be attracted to that

agree,,,I feel they were chosen for need,
not for pedigree

agree,,,I feel they were chosen for need,
not for pedigree

exactly, and by pedigree not talking about their work ethic, their home lives, or their skills. talking about “ranking”.

so i think TN got players that will help them get those top players (by instilling great culture and providing wins)HOWEVER when those top players get here they will have great bets to lead them which has been some of the issue of the past. i miss the izzies, burdicks, and massengales.

Last edited:
The only reason Dangerfield started is because Lexi Brown did not play. Banham has played much better and should have started. She was more efficient in half as many minutes. IMO Crystal is too small for the W. She won’t be able to get into the paint like she did in college against AAC teams. She has trouble getting her shot off over the taller perimeter defenders in the W. I don’t see her playing more than 2 seasons at this level. If she can get to where she can shoot like Leilani Mitchell she might have a chance. Over hyped IMO just like Nurse and Hartley. Have never been impressed with either of them. Hartley is playing well this year but there are many better players who can’t even get on a roster. UCONN name carries them a long way.

I think this season will open a lot of eyes with lots of different players getting an opportunity.
Seriously, Nurse was over-hyped? In what way? She's been a solid contributor in her two years in the W.

Are you saying there are better players not on a roster that are better than Nurse and Hartley. No way.

BTW, Dangerfield hit 3-8 three pointers today and scored 17 points in playing 37 minutes and starting again while Brown is still out.

I always want the talented bigs to go to Baylor. All the other schools on her list she’ll spend most of her time setting screens. Kim is the best modern coach in terms of using the big girls appropriately.

So you don’t think Dawn knows how to use the big girls? A’ja Wilson and A. Boston ring a bell?

Reactions: SCspur

VN Store

Back