Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Plenty of time for 2021 recruits who are silent commits and I would expect it's hard to get a group together to make a splash announcement. But Dawn has let several cats out of the bag with her tweets.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Plenty of time for 2021 recruits who are silent commits and I would expect it's hard to get a group together to make a splash announcement. But Dawn has let several cats out of the bag with her tweets.

You get a "B" for university choice
but
an "A" for originality in avatar names!

I’m not sure why everyone keeps saying our recruiting is dead? We have had 10 top classes even under Holly. Our problem has been retention. Not recruiting. Normal to have a down year in 2020 with a coaching change. Coach Harper is on track to pull in a potentially top 5 class for 2021. We still have the fans and the brand. The kids may not remember, but they sure do like the idea of playing in front of nearly 10k people every home game. And anyone who plays women’s basketball knows who Pat Summit is. Her legacy didn’t die with her. She’s basically the John Wooden of women’s basketball.
The thing I like about Harper's recruiting versus Holly is that the players are more offensively skilled, can make free throws although they may not be quite as athletic as some of the Holly players. Holly recruited a lot of very athletic players who were somewhat challenged to make baskets and free throws. I know it is still to be determined what Harper players do in college, but they certainly have the numbers offensively and percentage shooting free throws that some of our past recruits haven't had. I'm hoping to see a huge jump even next season in offense efficiency and free throw shooting. We need a team that can shoot the free throw over 70 percent. We lost at least three games because of poor free throw shooting even with our turnover over woes. I know some people don't like players that can play inside out and more than one position. Some think it is better to be skilled at one position and develop your ability at that position. I think Harper is going for the inside out players and we won't see the standard post player that can only shoot from 8 feet in and struggles at the free throw line. Looks to me she is using the same system she used at Missouri State except she is able to get a little better quality player. The hope is better players in the same system will accomplish more which would be great as Missouri State has done some remarkable things with three and two star players in the last couple of seasons.

As most people seem totally dedicated to discussing Non-Lady Vol basketball news in this thread... :rolleyes:

Raoul just posted something about a possible backup pg. Sees she didn't impress Q at another orange school.

"hearing that Alisha Lewis (5-7 FR point guard, Wallingford, PA) has entered her name into the transfer portal, out of Syracuse WBB. She was ranked #35 in the 2019 recruiting class by espnW"

Is that what this thread is for discussing NON Lady Vol basketball related news

Raoul just posted something about a possible backup pg. Sees she didn't impress Q at another orange school.

"hearing that Alisha Lewis (5-7 FR point guard, Wallingford, PA) has entered her name into the transfer portal, out of Syracuse WBB. She was ranked #35 in the 2019 recruiting class by espnW"
Hmm. What do we know about her? How much if any did she play last year? Could be mildly interesting though I'd love the elusive PG candidate to be pretty experienced.

Reactions: stlvolsfan

I'm not so sure that she has. Coaches on staffs are not allowed to name names or specifically talk about prospects by name when they discuss their classes, but they do often tell reporters about what their class needs are in terms of positions. In FB, they'll tell you if they are needing to take 2 QB prospects or 1 or none, or if they need to replenish the OL or DL, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

With BB - men's or women's - they can tell you if they plan on bringing in a small class or a large one. Sometimes the limitation in available scholarships can set that narrative for them. But they can talk about if they need to have a class heavy on interior post depth or if they need perimeter guards. And again, nothing wrong at all with that.

All Staley did with her tweets, is tell us that her staff is taking at least 4 for this cycle. Perhaps one of them may be a "big". I don't see any cats scampering around.....

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Since Fudd’s recruitment has been close to the vest, I wonder if her announcement will be low keyed. I wonder why the other South Carolina’s commits have not announced?
Bree Hall, in a podcast released yesterday, told the interviewer that the other 3 commits had more elaborate plans for their announcements than she did with her’s, a quick 15 second Tik Tok filmed by her mom requiring only a wardrobe change. Probably means the other commits were having videos done for theirs which seems to be the case for Rivers, judging by the short clip in the previous post.

Last edited:
As an older person, all the social media “reveal shows” seem as silly as they can be to me. It all started with Candace Parker’s live announcement on ESPN, and ever since, there have been many such productions, both pro- and amateur-made.

That said, as I *am* an older person, I was not conditioned by society from toddlerhood to think that acquiring social media “follows” and “likes” and “retweets” was as vital to life as air, so naturally I can’t personally identify with the need for these over-the-top announcements. But I do recognize that most teens today have lived the majority of their lives mindful of a daily tally of how many likes and follows they’re getting, and so these dramatic “decision reveal” videos are potential goldmines of ego-boosting “likes.” Then there’s the much-anticipated flood of new “follows” as their new allegiance is pledged.

This is simply the reality of most humans under the age of 35 these days, and for a great number of those over that age. I don’t always get it, but I readily admit that there are far worse things young people could obsess over than social media attention.

Anyway, it’s all good. We’re all different and that’s what keeps it interesting, right?

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see the other SC commits and how soon they reveal themselves.
Looks like some of the recruits for other schools may be waiting to see if official visits will be allowed for summer and fall.

Do WHAT? I know I just didn’t read what I think I read?

Please tell me this is just a lack of whatever it is you have because THAT comment. NOT OK! PERIOD!!!!

You always talkin’ about don’t start nothing it won’t be nothing well you are about to start a whole bunch of something !!!!😡

If you could edit your post to remove the quote, new readers will not have to read that trash either. Thanks

Reactions: gule
..a three guard class with the guards we already have...That makes no sense to me....I say a wing is more likely...two wing players would make more sense...but who knows ?
Well you may be right but we know two of them are guards and Dawn has done a lot of retweeting of Johnson and of the three she is a point guard. I do agree that three guards is a lot but it could happen.

Johnson is a PG, Rivers is a SG, and Hall is a SF.
I am aware of that...but the roster has plenty of young guards....we need wing players also....but I will be happy with the three listed and a wing player...who wouldn't ?

Last edited:
Reactions: SCspur

VN Store

Back