Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

You can't run a successful program without coaching the Olympic team? Better tell Kim, Jeff, Vic, etc...then.

This is petty behaviour from our fanbase. When Kellie turns the program around, the top 10 recruits will follow and we can talk about beating Dawn on the court and not this petty stuff.
Jeff is the head coach the Team USA U19 team but I get your point.

You can't run a successful program without coaching the Olympic team? Better tell Kim, Jeff, Vic, etc...then.

This is petty behaviour from our fanbase. When Kellie turns the program around, the top 10 recruits will follow and we can talk about beating Dawn on the court and not this petty stuff.

So it’s petty to think that coaching team USA has advantages when it comes to recruiting? I just want to be clear in what you’re saying I may have missed something else coach jumper has said.

I think there are some advantages to coaching team USA but I don’t think it is the reason for Dawns success. Her playing career, her coaching record, and her ability to engage are the reasons amongst other things why she is so successful at recruiting.

There are some of us who see that coaching team USA has its advantages and are able to separate that from Dawn being able to haul talent.

So it’s petty to think that coaching team USA has advantages when it comes to recruiting? I just want to be clear in what you’re saying I may have missed something else coach jumper has said.

I think there are some advantages to coaching team USA but I don’t think it is the reason for Dawns success. Her playing career, her coaching record, and her ability to engage are the reasons amongst other things why she is so successful at recruiting.

There are some of us who see that coaching team USA has its advantages and are able to separate that from Dawn being able to haul talent.
I think it's petty to infer that Dawn is now starting to recruit better because of her association with the team USA coaching. She's slowly built up her program, won a NC and has been developed a reputation as one of the best coaches in the game. THAT is why she's killing it on the recruitment trails, not because she has a 3-year agreement to coach Team USA. Even with Geno, he coached for 7 years after winning 6 NCs. I think those 6 championships had more to do with his recruiting haul than his USA coaching gig.

no, reverse it,,,you can't coach an Olympic team without a winning program,,,but the dividends keep on coming far after you coach the O-team, bc getting to that team is associated with its coach

no, reverse it,,,you can't coach an Olympic team without a winning program,,,but the dividends keep on coming far after you coach the O-team, bc getting to that team is associated with its coach
Not when the tenure as coach is as short as it is. Dawn's agreement is only 3 years. If she doesn't get extended, there will be a new coach before the recruit even graduates from SC. Even with Geno, which players did he recruit after he was named Team USA captain that played on the main team? Only Breanna, and she was gonna be on the Olympic team at some point because she's one of the best players in the game. I'm going to also predict that if Napheesa Collier makes the main team at some point, it won't be because Geno made her a promise...but because she's one of the best young players in the game.

She hasn't publicly but it has been stated on the SC website that she is a SC commit. I'll take their word on that since she was heavily leaning their way.

I'm not going to take their word.. At times recruiter tries to give people wrong clue and don't be suprise if she commits to vols?

We retract our J.J. Cale/Lynyrd Skynyrd song. Just like the magic bus...you caaaaaaan't have it!

Wishing Bree happiness and success at SC along with career stat lows any time they play us.

Last edited:
Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
@stlvolsfan

Hey sorry to see Sug was cut from the Mystics. I knew it was an uphill battle but I wanted to see her to have a chance to give it a go because she would/will be a dynamic guard at some point.

With the league making everybody have roster cuts to be able to pay players I knew this wasn’t going to be pretty :-( especially with no one being able to actually show their skills.

Wishing her the best and hopefully she comes back and gets a chance to work out for the Mystics!

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Having more time with potential recruits as a byproduct of working for Team USA absolutely confers a recruiting advantage. How much of an advantage is debatable. But it’s absolutely an advantage, and as with many things in our society, it is an advantage awarded to those who are already ahead. The only way to get that advantage out of their hands is to beat the crap out of them until Team USA comes calling to give *you* that advantage.

So it’s petty to think that coaching team USA has advantages when it comes to recruiting?
Okay pouty rather than petty. Better?
The only way to get that advantage out of their hands is to beat the crap out of them until Team USA comes calling to give *you* that advantage.
Exactly. To the victor goes the spoils, who knew? It's a total chicken and egg thing, which came first coach gets best recruits, wins alot, is named USA coach? Or vice versa? Either way, yes, the most successful coaches and programs get alot of breaks which help lure more good recruits.

I'd say being Olympic coach is mid-list for recruits, certainly behind winning championships, getting to the WNBA, and overall feeling of chemistry with the team upon visiting. LOL, it could be argued that prolonged exposure to Geno as a coach should hurt his recruiting.

How funny it must sound to other fans for us to be pity partying over this. Exactly what the rest of the WBB world said about Pat and her books, movies, BFFs in the media, etc, etc. for oh so many years.

Having more time with potential recruits as a byproduct of working for Team USA absolutely confers a recruiting advantage. How much of an advantage is debatable. But it’s absolutely an advantage, and as with many things in our society, it is an advantage awarded to those who are already ahead. The only way to get that advantage out of their hands is to beat the crap out of them until Team USA comes calling to give *you* that advantage.
How did Holly end up with the No. 1 class...she never coached the Team USA....? Dawn has only had one...same as Holly....I am confused.

Okay pouty rather than petty. Better?

Exactly. To the victor goes the spoils, who knew? It's a total chicken and egg thing, which came first coach gets best recruits, wins alot, is named USA coach? Or vice versa? Either way, yes, the most successful coaches and programs get alot of breaks which help lure more good recruits.

I'd say being Olympic coach is mid-list for recruits, certainly behind winning championships, getting to the WNBA, and overall feeling of chemistry with the team upon visiting. LOL, it could be argued that prolonged exposure to Geno as a coach should hurt his recruiting.

How funny it must sound to other fans for us to be pity partying over this. Exactly what the rest of the WBB world said about Pat and her books, movies, BFFs in the media, etc, etc. for oh so many years.

Not funny at all. Pat coached national team, but how long? Yes, she got books, movies, etc.. The highest exposure a college coach can get from recruiters is to coach world basketball & Olympics... Players may not care to watch movies or read books, but when it comes to basketball, definitely they must watch and knows who's coaching, especially when most athletes dream is to play for their country.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Not funny at all.
Not meant to be funny. Were you around then? The degree of jealousy and the volume of the unfair advantage whining over everything Pat did, said and got was incredible and we dismissed it as petty sour grapes every single time. Shoe feeling way different now on the other foot.

giphy.gif

Deleting the last four pages should take care of it. More talk than the subject is worth and I apologize for contributing excessively even when there were chickens present.

200.gif

Thats a gamecock for you. They just keep coming back at ya.

VN Store

Back