Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Based on the way the events were unfolding around the departure of Pat, Holly was the logical choice....To me, the mistake was keeping Holly too long when it was painfully obvious she did not know offensive basketball. She is one hell of a nice woman, and did the best she could do.....
K0013057261-1251501.jpg
Wow, this picture is hard to look at. Was this during the last season she coached?

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Florida Gulf Coast knocked off Lipscomb to move to 12-0 in the A-Sun, 25-2 overall, and #22 in the Coaches Poll. They will now finish at worst tied for the A-Sun regular season title. One more win will see them win the regular season title outright and have home field advantage for the entire A-Sun tournament. This makes their 9th regular season title in the last decade, and makes it very likely they're going dancing again.

MS state with 14 turnovers with two minutes left in the 3rd qt. Howard is killing it for Kentucky. By the way Freshman Jackson having a bad game for MS, so not just Horston and Key.

Reactions: JustaChicken
Rhyme Howard makes scoring look so easy...

This is easily the worst game MSST has played all year. The turnovers were just lazy play.

Arkansas hung over 100 on UK last game, I think. They will be a tough outing.

I think Maryland has a good shot at the final 4.

Unless a team can beat UConn in the sweet 16, they will get a chance to play one of the three teams that beat them.

What was Howard's ranking in her class how could they miss on a player by that much. I say this cause I know she wasn't in the top 30 or so at least and she is a top ten player easily.

Reactions: Dube
What was Howard's ranking in her class how could they miss on a player by that much. I say this cause I know she wasn't in the top 30 or so at least and she is a top ten player easily.

#32 Hoopgurlz ..... Watched her in state tournament... Very smooth player and deferred to teammates, and not taking control like now ! I think Mitchell convinced her she was the player she has become ! JMO

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I think Maryland has a good shot at the final 4.

Unless a team can beat UConn in the sweet 16, they will get a chance to play one of the three teams that beat them.

The rest of the regular season and the conference tournaments will be about which teams end up as the #1 and #2 in the Fort Wayne regional. In its first reveal, Oregon was the #4 seed and UConn was #5. I doubt the seeding remains that way. Oregon is playing like the overall #1 seed now but it will have to win out and SC lose to take over that spot. I don't see Louisville losing again this season so the Cardinals are well-positioned to be the #1 in Ft Wayne and likely #4 overall. Watch out for Maryland as a possible #5 seed in Ft Wayne.

If UConn is not sent to Ft Wayne the streak of 12 consecutive Final Fours will end. A remarkable streak that had to end at some point.

Well, while both have had their ups and downs, Walker is averaging 19.5 point and 9 rebounds, while Williams, as a sophomore, is averaging 15.5 PPG.

not too shabby.
Except Walker has a repeated tendency to disappear in games that count and Williams is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates "you never know what you're going to get." Both are disappointments.

SC up 20 after the 1st as the announcer just said there wining with speed and athleticism Vandy just don`t have that.

Except Walker has a repeated tendency to disappear in games that count and Williams is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates "you never know what you're going to get." Both are disappointments.

Williams is the bigger disappointment because she's more talented than Walker.

Watching Oregon State vs UCLA. UCLA ball pressure hurting Oregon State it`s turnover city 8 TO`s in the 1st for state so far.

My response was to someone that posted "The last 2 UConn #1 recruits aren't exactly setting WCBB on fire." I think their seasons have been solid although Williams has really struggled from the field the last several games.

Oregon State had 24 TO, I guess Scott Rueck cant coach. On a serious note why do womens teams seem to have more turnovers than the mens teams?

Oregon State has FOUR forwards/centers (including two starters) out with injury. Three five-stars and the third ranked European player born in 2000. Their heights are 6-3, 6-6, 6-9, and 6-9. I’d have to assume they have a pretty thin backcourt.

I really wish Holly landed Taylor Jones. We were in her top-10, but she is a terrific post player. Does a lot of things really well for a freshman. Not as big or long as Key, but Key could learn a thing or two from her.

Oregon State has FOUR forwards/centers (including two starters) out with injury. Three five-stars and the third ranked European player born in 2000. Their heights are 6-3, 6-6, 6-9, and 6-9. I’d have to assume they have a pretty thin backcourt.

I really wish Holly landed Taylor Jones. We were in her top-10, but she is a terrific post player. Does a lot of things really well for a freshman. Not as big or long as Key, but Key could learn a thing or two from her.
Speed will kill that height....you have to have a combination spread across the team. It can't be all "tall" and it can't be all "speed".

Walker mostly padded her stats against weak AAC competition. Might as well be on the side of a milk carton against better teams. She can't create her own shot if she's got a tough defender like SC's Beal or Baylor's Richards on her. Even though she had 18 pts vs Baylor, it took her 20 some shots to get there and she shot under 30%.

Walker mostly padded her stats against weak AAC competition. Might as well be on the side of a milk carton against better teams. She can't create her own shot if she's got a tough defender like SC's Beal or Baylor's Richards on her. Even though she had 18 pts vs Baylor, it took her 20 some shots to get there and she shot under 30%.

was it you that said Walker was a better player than Davis? While Walkers team has a better record Davis’ stats across all competition has been better wouldn’t you say? Even against the tougher opponents she shows up and does about what her averages are.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
was it you that said Walker was a better player than Davis? While Walkers team has a better record Davis’ stats across all competition has been better wouldn’t you say? Even against the tougher opponents she shows up and does about what her averages are.
I'm not a walker fan. At this point in their careers Davis is the better player, IMHO.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back