Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

That was last year.

I don't want to take away from their win at all, but you have to admit there is more competition this year. It's not enough to play a bunch of cupcakes and a relatively weak conference schedule. They have excellent players and are coached extremely well, it won't hurt to challenge them more! I think Vic is a bigger culprit on this than Kim, frankly, but I hope this changes in future seasons.
They won three championships last year?

I believe you're right. SC is gonna beat the stew out of Mizzou! :D

D. Staley actually sued the Mizz athletic director (Jim Sterk) for defamation , (comments he made on radio/tv saying Dawn fostered a racist and unruly game environment). The lawsuit was brought after Staley made a formal request to the SEC to investigate and require the mizzou ad to issue a retraction and apology. The SEC did nothing at first, so Staley brought the lawsuit. This resulted in first the conference and then the Univ of Mizz responding, with both requiring the athletic director to issue a public apology and pay a fine of $25,000 which he did. He also settled the lawsuit with Staley by donating $50,000 to the charity of her choice. There is no love loss there, Staley will look to embarrass Mizzou.

South Carolina's Dawn Staley settles lawsuit against Missouri AD

Last edited:
Five teams have never won a Women's SEC Championship and three have only won one. One team has won two and three teams have won four. One team has won six and one team has won 17. Who can name the five teams that have never won any?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Five teams have never won a Women's SEC Championship and three have only won one. One team has won two and three teams have won four. One team has won six and one team has won 17. Who can name the five teams that have never won any?

I’ll take a stab at it. Florida, Alabama, Missouri, Ole Miss and maybe Arkansas?

Only one I’m not sure on is Ark. I feel like maybe they won one when Blair was coaching there but I feel like I remember UT winning the SEC but Arkansas made a deep NCAA tournament run.

Reactions: Volfan2012
I’ll take a stab at it. Florida, Alabama, Missouri, Ole Miss and maybe Arkansas?

Only one I’m not sure on is Ark. I feel like maybe they won one when Blair was coaching there but I feel like I remember UT winning the SEC but Arkansas made a deep NCAA tournament run.
Those are the five that have never won an SEC Tourney title.

Last edited:
Vandy has won six SEC Tournament titles but 0 regular season titles. Ole Miss won the regular season in 1991-1992 but lose the tournament title to Tennessee

Overall titles both SEC Regular and SEC Tourney

Tennessee 34
Georgia-11
Auburn-10
South Carolina-8
Vanderbilt-6
LSU-5
Miss St-3
Ky-3
Ole Miss-1
Texas A&M-1
Missouri-0
Florida-0
Alabama-0
Arkansas-0

Last edited:
Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I will toss in that Vandy, Alabama, and Arkansas have all made the NCAA Final Four before. Historically speaking, the SEC has been so grueling from top to bottom some years that it was more doable to make a FF than it was to win an SEC Tourney title.

Last edited:
Yes she had an “altercation” with Nared (an altercation that got her dismissed from the University not just the team)

A lack of leadership could be a factor but it isn’t the defining factor because at work a lack of leadership doesn’t cause me to put hands on my coworkers when there is a disagreement ...

A lack of leadership on my division 1 track team didn’t cause me to put my hands on my teammate when we had a strong disagreement.

I just think maturing has to be part of the process and some people take longer than others. So my point was yes we would love her play and her points NOW but who is to say TN would get that if she hadn’t gone through what she had to go through! If that stuff came with the drama or immaturity I don’t want that from ANY player as we have seen how that can “toxic” (there is that dreaded word 😂) to a team.

I wish her the best because she can be a difference maker and I am glad to see doing well at Baylor but I know the lack of leadership excuse would have to be used at S.C. too if my understanding was correct or was it a mutual decision for her to transfer ?
Can someone from S.C. chime in
@SCspur or @JustaChicken or @superfly ?
Thanks for your insight. It’s never okay to resort to violence, I wasn’t trying to apply that. I thought her transfer had more to do with the incoming freshman class than attitude. Maybe I’m wrong.

Vandy has won six SEC Tournament titles but 0 regular season titles. Ole Miss won the regular season in 1991-1992 but lose the tournament title to Tennessee

Overall titles both SEC Regular and SEC Tourney

Tennessee 34
Georgia-11
Auburn-10
South Carolina-8
Vanderbilt-6
LSU-5
Miss St-3
Ky-3
Ole Miss-1
Texas A&M-1
Missouri-0
Florida-0
Alabama-0
Arkansas-0
The SEC trophy should be the “Pat Head Summit” trophy. Because she owned that baby.

Here's a link to a terrific story about Missouri State, their coach, and their impressive position at #1 in the RPI rankings:

Surprise! Missouri State women rise to No. 1 nationally in RPI

I really liked this part:
She does things a bit differently. She is a fan of acronyms, emphasizing what she calls FAB — family, academics and basketball — and LAB, which is life after ball. She exposes her players to life skills programs throughout the year, including speakers on sleep, finances, self defense, cooking and skin care.

What a terrific approach! I remember reading that the Mo State players loved Kellie, but it sure sounds like the coach they got to replace her is a real gem who will make them better humans as well as basketball players. Love it!

Reactions: Xraygurl
3 of tonights games that feature ranked teams on both sides

Stanford at Oregon 8 CST game but may catch the 1st half
FSU at NCS
Texas A&M at Kentucky - Will Carter be back and if so, at 100%?

Reactions: krichunaka

VN Store

Back