Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

We won;t get respect until they're sure....we teased them under CHW and made them look bad for ranking us in season's past/
Just more opportunity for Coach K to shine

Keep the games vs. UConn, SC and MSST competitive. That should earn Tennessee some respect.

Keep the games vs. UConn, SC and MSST competitive. That should earn Tennessee some respect.

If we win either the SC game or the UCONN game we will turn some heads.

I was actually looking at MSST and I think that is a game we SHOULD win. They don’t defend, shoot the three or rebound as well as MSST teams have the last few seasons.Would be a great win for us and I really feel we are about evenly matched. If we’re going to get them, this is the year.

Since SEC play started their numbers have slipped. We’ve played two of the same teams and their other opponent was Florida. So far they are allowing 41% shooting to SEC teams and they only hold a +4 margin on the boards and they haven’t played anyone decent yet. Carter isn’t rebounding the same against better competition. We are holding SEC opponents to 35% shooting and so far have a +17 margin on the boards against SEC teams. The only category they perform much better is turnovers. We average 19 APG to their 15, 16.5 turnovers to their 11 so it’s pretty much a wash.

Jackson is the real deal, but she’s still just a freshman. They are leaning on her heavily.

Last edited:
82452598_839671283121392_6759340066868740288_n.jpg

Baylor's NaLyssa Smith named BIG XII POW after averaging 25.0 PPG and 13.5 RPG against UConn and Oklahoma State.

Last edited:
Reactions: stlvolsfan
If we win either the SC game or the UCONN game we will turn some heads.

I was actually looking at MSST and I think that is a game we SHOULD win. They don’t defend, shoot the three or rebound as well as MSST teams have the last few seasons.Would be a great win for us and I really feel we are about evenly matched. If we’re going to get them, this is the year.

Since SEC play started their numbers have slipped. We’ve played two of the same teams and their other opponent was Florida. So far they are allowing 41% shooting to SEC teams and they only hold a +4 margin on the boards and they haven’t played anyone decent yet. Carter isn’t rebounding the same against better competition. We are holding SEC opponents to 35% shooting and so far have a +17 margin on the boards against SEC teams. The only category they perform much better is turnovers. We average 19 APG to their 15, 16.5 turnovers to their 11 so it’s pretty much a wash.

Jackson is the real deal, but she’s still just a freshman. They are leaning on her heavily.
I agree that MSST is the most winnable game of the three...namely because of the rebounding. But I wouldn't discount their defense. They are a tough defensive team and are their usual selves when it comes to drawing charges and picking off passing lanes. Bibby and AEH haven't been their usual sharp shooting selves, but there is always the threat they will go off, plus they have some nice looking freshmen guards.

Should be a good game!

Reactions: lvocd
I'm surprised we got bumped down but so did
Arkansas. As long as we stay in the top 25.
We're still a work in progress but I have faith
the coaching staff will get it done. Thanks
for all the positive pollsters. Makes up for the Debbie downers.

There was no disrespect meant for any team in the poll that might have gotten moved down after two wins this week. It was simply a matter of having to make room for Arizona State, who more than deserved to reenter the poll after going 2-0 against the highly-ranked Oregons. We’re still hangin’! :D

Reactions: Chippo
I'm surprised we got bumped down but so did
Arkansas. As long as we stay in the top 25.
We're still a work in progress but I have faith
the coaching staff will get it done. Thanks
for all the positive pollsters. Makes up for the Debbie downers.

when I watched that video, I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard

There was no disrespect meant for any team in the poll that might have gotten moved down after two wins this week. It was simply a matter of having to make room for Arizona State, who more than deserved to reenter the poll after going 2-0 against the highly-ranked Oregons. We’re still hangin’! :D

Good point. Although I was one who questioned our "demotion" (even though our wins weren't against stellar competition), it seemed apparent that room had to be made to ASU. Unfortunately, we were in the last row of the movie hall, so we had to slide over.

We'll soon enough get our chances to leapfrog other teams.

This is sort of like the band system of players challenging for various "chairs" in the pecking order. We just need to get back to work.

The music coming out of TBA is sounding sweeter every day.

I will address these "Baylor without Cox" statements about our win. This team is a team of mostly freshman. These players have also gotten better since the Baylor game...so...to insist that Cox would "now" make a difference is not a fact in any way. Baylor could lose with Cox in there now that our girls have played together for half a season....so...to say otherwise is just a pure speculative statement.

Our rpi is still 82 so they are not giving us a lot of credit thankful they are giving us some. We need to prove we belong and the chances to do that are coming up in the next few weeks. If we can't beat some of these teams we have no reason to be ranked a top 25 team.

Our rpi is still 82 so they are not giving us a lot of credit thankful they are giving us some. We need to prove we belong and the chances to do that are coming up in the next few weeks. If we can't beat some of these teams we have no reason to be ranked a top 25 team.
I think on paper that Tennessee's best win is Georgia, who is ~70-something in the RPI. They haven't lost to any bad teams, but they don't have any good wins and have played a weak schedule. Their RPI will not improve until they can get beat some decent teams. They will have some chances in the SEC, not just against the top 16 teams. They need to put away the other top 50 teams that they play.

VN Store

Back