Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Unranked North Carolina beat ranked NC State tonight

I actually think NC has a solid chance of winning the ACC tournament. They’re well coached but don’t have a stellar roster right now. Not a team I would hope to be playing in March though.

Unranked Iowa also beat Maryland. I think Maryland must be having some internal issues. They have a ton of talented players but they don’t seem to enjoy playing together this season. Seems like there is tension in their team. I hate to say it but I bet Mimi Collins is second guessing her decision to transfer there.

North Carolina over number nine NC State. This is the same North Carolina team that lost at Alabama. Guess we can shuffle that top 25 next week.

North Carolina over number nine NC State. This is the same North Carolina team that lost at Alabama. Guess we can shuffle that top 25 next week.

I think Maryland might actually fall out of the top 25 next week, or very close. They have two losses to unranked opponents in the season and a few more close calls. The only ranked opponent they have beaten so far this season is Michigan who has been in and out of the top 25 due to inconsistency as well.

Congrats to Baylor. Is landrum not playing as well this year on offense? I seem to remember she was on fire at times last year. Cox will make a big difference if she stays healthy.

Just a thought. If Baylor wins another NC with transfer with cooper, does mulkey go after another transfer guard with experience? Seems to work.

Maybe she'll go after Christyn Williams......

:p

LSU knocked off Texas A&M tonight. Another ranked team losing to an unranked opponent. Making the MIZZZOU win look better and better lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: BUBear
Congrats to Baylor. Is landrum not playing as well this year on offense? I seem to remember she was on fire at times last year. Cox will make a big difference if she stays healthy.

Just a thought. If Baylor wins another NC with transfer with cooper, does mulkey go after another transfer guard with experience? Seems to work.

She’s had a couple of off games but just a few games ago she set the NCAA record for 3s in a game. She was 14-23 or something crazy like that lol.

Reactions: BUBear
Vandy also knocked off Georgia after losing to a poor Florida team. Georgia played MSST tough last time out. It’s going to be a mess in the middle-bottom of the SEC. We need to stay out of that scrum and establish ourself as one of the top 4 teams sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Not saying we are one of them, but UCONN is very beatable by at least 10 teams. Geno is really slipping as a coach. They were terrible in 4th quarter, looks like they are out of shape. All that talent and not even able to hardly score in 4th quarter. I think his mind is going. Much as he said Pat's was years before it was. I guess what comes around goes around. I have seen Baylor play 4 games this yr and they are not a great team. Humiliating defeat, he should worry about health and step down lol.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Not saying we are one of them, but UCONN is very beatable by at least 10 teams. Geno is really slipping as a coach. They were terrible in 4th quarter, looks like they are out of shape. All that talent and not even able to hardly score in 4th quarter. I think his mind is going. Much as he said Pat's was years before it was. I guess what comes around goes around. I have seen Baylor play 4 games this yr and they are not a great team. Humiliating defeat, he should worry about health and step down lol.

I’m feeling a touch more optimistic about our game with them. They really struggled with Baylor’s size. They hadn’t played a team with a good post threat since Fasoula and Vandy.

We have the size to make them uncomfortable. It’s going to come down to our offensive execution and valuing the basketball. Based on this game I think our conditioning will be better as well. I’m sure they’ll kick it into high gear after this though.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustaChicken
Seven ranked teams lost tonight. Is that a record?

Not surprised that UConn lost – but maybe by the margin. There'll be a lot of takes on the game... I saw three big factors: 1) No front court scoring for UConn. (Nelson-Ododa sure didn't look like someone who should have just been added to the Wooden watchlist!) 2) UConn has three exceptional players. Period. Baylor has six or seven exceptional/very good players. 3) Geno's game plan to clog the lane and wear out the Baylor bigs back fired, as Mulkey's team shot threes well and used their depth to leave UConn's big three exhausted in the fourth quarter. UConn had more shots and the rebounds were even – but when you only shoot 29% you're not going to win.

Elsewhere... Arkansas got up off the mat after the first quarter but SC coasted to the win. Miss State put Mizzou away early. And how about LSU losing to Missouri and then grabbing the win in College Station? (A&M is a different team without Carter. Hopefully it's just a bad ankle twist.) Bama, Ole Miss and Auburn are now all 0 and 3 in Conference after their losses to KY, TN and FL. But Bama gave Kentucky a pretty good game outscoring the Cats in three quarters. Can't leave out Vandy over GA.

The madness in the ACC continued as Florida State and NC State lost while Duke and Notre Dame continued their futile seasons. Duke lost to a 6 and 9 Virginia team while ND lost at home again to Boston College. Not sure anyone can win this Conference other than Louisville.

The Big Ten continues it's topsy-turvy ways as Michigan, Maryland and Michigan State all lost on the road. Raise your hand if you thought that Indiana would be at the top of the Conference standings with Rutgers, Iowa, Northwestern and Nebraska just a game behind.

The Big Sky Conference may have had the games of the night, though,. Two double-overtime tilts with Idaho beating Montana State 69 – 68 and Northern Arizona defeating Sacramento State 114 to 107.

Seven more ranked teams play tomorrow night, and those games in Arizona should be good ones.

Seven ranked teams lost tonight. Is that a record?

Not surprised that UConn lost – but maybe by the margin. There'll be a lot of takes on the game... I saw three big factors: 1) No front court scoring for UConn. (Nelson-Ododa sure didn't look like someone who should have just been added to the Wooden watchlist!) 2) UConn has three exceptional players. Period. Baylor has six or seven exceptional/very good players. 3) Geno's game plan to clog the lane and wear out the Baylor bigs back fired, as Mulkey's team shot threes well and used their depth to leave UConn's big three exhausted in the fourth quarter. UConn had more shots and the rebounds were even – but when you only shoot 29% you're not going to win.

Elsewhere... Arkansas got up off the mat after the first quarter but SC coasted to the win. Miss State put Mizzou away early. And how about LSU losing to Missouri and then grabbing the win in College Station? (A&M is a different team without Carter. Hopefully it's just a bad ankle twist.) Bama, Ole Miss and Auburn are now all 0 and 3 in Conference after their losses to KY, TN and FL. But Bama gave Kentucky a pretty good game outscoring the Cats in three quarters. Can't leave out Vandy over GA.

The madness in the ACC continued as Florida State and NC State lost while Duke and Notre Dame continued their futile seasons. Duke lost to a 6 and 9 Virginia team while ND lost at home again to Boston College. Not sure anyone can win this Conference other than Louisville.

The Big Ten continues it's topsy-turvy ways as Michigan, Maryland and Michigan State all lost on the road. Raise your hand if you thought that Indiana would be at the top of the Conference standings with Rutgers, Iowa, Northwestern and Nebraska just a game behind.

The Big Sky Conference may have had the games of the night, though,. Two double-overtime tilts with Idaho beating Montana State 69 – 68 and Northern Arizona defeating Sacramento State 114 to 107.

Seven more ranked teams play tomorrow night, and those games in Arizona should be good ones.
Very informative post. I enjoyed reading it. Was like my morning newspaper :)

Maybe if the game chicks would ever actually play a close game against UC I’ll quit digging them.
Nah...you're not going to get away with that...you trash Dawn all the time on here. I don't post a lot (since 2008, longer than you I might add) but I read all the time. You have trashed her not just for UCONN...she has teams that have won a national championship, 4 SEC tournaments in a row...several regular season championships, and had final four and sweet sixteen runs...you are always trashing her and now you want to insist it's all about UCONN loses...BS ! You are just a sore petty fan. I will always be a Vol fan because of my sisters love...but you...you are a small minded fan indeed. It's actually sad....

Reactions: Creekdog
I actually think NC has a solid chance of winning the ACC tournament. They’re well coached but don’t have a stellar roster right now. Not a team I would hope to be playing in March though.

Unranked Iowa also beat Maryland. I think Maryland must be having some internal issues. They have a ton of talented players but they don’t seem to enjoy playing together this season. Seems like there is tension in their team. I hate to say it but I bet Mimi Collins is second guessing her decision to transfer there.
I hope it gets better for them for Mimi’s sake. I hope she doesn’t have to transfer again and waste another year of her life.

Geno still coaches better movement off the ball than anyone in the game....he does not need better "talent", his development and coaching still far exceeds most if not all programs.

Okay, time to display ignorance of what should be a simple topic. Here's the question:

Assuming agreement with Rooster's premise (and I tend to agree for the most part)...and I have highlighted the pertinent statement...

why is it so hard for other coaches to emulate the UCONN offense?

Now, I'm ruling out the obvious: Different talent levels, different offensive philosophies, different personnel, different motivating capabilities, etc.

But assuming that the other coaches have the ability to break down film and copy other successful programs and actually understand how to implement the X's and O's*...and besides the numerous books, online videos, coaching clinics, assistants who have played in those systems, and ability to observe practices and plenty of games, why do some schools make it look easy (unless playing a superior defensive team) while other programs look challenged if not clueless at times?

*I have experience in the clueless offensive arena as a former offensively-challenged middle school girls' basketball coach for 5 years in a default situation. I don't feel too bad about it today for a variety of reasons given my lack of organized basketball experience along with girls who for the most part had never played team basketball (one literally picked up the ball and ran with it like Franco Harris trying to stiffarm the other girls. The look on the ref's face was pricelesss and a memory I treasure to this day. Good times!).

LSU knocked off Texas A&M tonight. Another ranked team losing to an unranked opponent. Making the MIZZZOU win look better and better lol.

Carter has been very tentative the last two games. Just not taking charge like she normally does. Still shooting a good percentage but she’s not hunting shots like usual. Also had 0 assists and 1 rebound. If she’s not shooting it, and not passing it, she’s not doing much. :(

You should be made aware that Carter injured her ankle in the second quarter last night and did not return. She had 12 points at that point, on pace for a big game. You should do some research before you post your “analysis”......

Reactions: gule
You should be made aware that Carter injured her ankle in the second quarter last night and did not return. She had 12 points at that point, on pace for a big game. You should do some research before you post your “analysis”......
and for people that haven't watched Carter this year, she is playing a different game than in the past. She is trying to get her teammates more involved and is becoming more of a facilitator. She is still the main feature but is playing much differently this year.

I don't think you can be shocked by anyone losing to most anyone in the SEC. I was totally surprised that LSU beat A&M at their place and Vandy over Georgia at their place. This season there is no way to determine what will happen in about half of the games. I mean UT Martin lost to Louisville in overtime and last night Louisville wins by forty. They also best Oregon so how they play an overtime game with UT Martin? This season is totally unpredictable.

Reactions: JustaChicken

Carter has been very tentative the last two games. Just not taking charge like she normally does. Still shooting a good percentage but she’s not hunting shots like usual. Also had 0 assists and 1 rebound. If she’s not shooting it, and not passing it, she’s not doing much. :(

Carter missed most of the game with an injury.

It was just an outstanding game by Baylor to take Connecticut’s best punches and then knock them out in the final round. I think the Huskies wore down and then the idea that they might lose took over. Baylor’s relentless attack and superior play got in their heads and that was that. It was one of those magical nights for Baylor, and I’m really happy for their entire team — but especially Lauren Cox.

The way Cox came out of nowhere, hitting threes, to wreck Auriemma’s game plan was amazing. I mean, there was absolutely zero reason for GA to think that LC was going to be a three-point threat. But Lauren Cox did what all the greats do: she played UP to the competition. Magical.

It was also a thrill to see a former Lady Vol having such a great game. Cooper is so strong and tough — happy for her!

I hate to say this, but I’m afraid that taking this tough home loss is likely to fire Connecticut up for their game against Tennessee. Outside of Zaay’s season ending injury, the illuminating Baylor victory could end up being the worst thing to happen to the Lady Vols all season. :eek:

It was just an outstanding game by Baylor to take Connecticut’s best punches and then knock them out in the final round. I think the Huskies wore down and then the idea that they might lose took over. Baylor’s relentless attack and superior play got in their heads and that was that. It was one of those magical nights for Baylor, and I’m really happy for their entire team — but especially Lauren Cox.

The way Cox came out of nowhere, hitting threes, to wreck Auriemma’s game plan was amazing. I mean, there was absolutely zero reason for GA to think that LC was going to be a three-point threat. But Lauren Cox did what all the greats do: she played UP to the competition. Magical.

It was also a thrill to see a former Lady Vol having such a great game. Cooper is so strong and tough — happy for her!

I hate to say this, but I’m afraid that taking this tough home loss is likely to fire Connecticut up for their game against Tennessee. Outside of Zaay’s season ending injury, the illuminating Baylor victory could end up being the worst thing to happen to the Lady Vols all season. :eek:
This was an enjoyable game. UConn fell apart on offense for most of the game and played 1-on-1 hero ball between three players. I do have to admit Walker is a much better player. Shot 5-20, but she plays without fear. Still, they don't have the horses to run. If they have to continue to play Irwin lots of minutes, they will not be a contender. She's a liability against good teams. They better hope that their center isn't this useless against teams with size :D.

Makes me think the Tennessee game could be interesting if they can find a way to neutralize the UConn center with their size. Tennessee has the defenders to make things hard for UConn, and I don't care if they have to sling balls and just grab rebounds and putbacks...as long as they can find a way to manufacture points.

UConn should be the favorite by far, but this is a winnable game IMO with a little luck. UConn doesn't have the bodies to allow for a no show from their center.

VN Store

Back