Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

#7 Louisville just beat Duke by 5.
South Carolina beat Duke by 43.

Louisville beat Kentucky by 1.
South Carolina beat Kentucky by 27.

Louisville beat #2 Oregon.

Is Oregon really the #2 team in the country?
See the question I'd ask is, is Jeff Walz really that impressive of a coach? The way some folks here tell it, he's the second coming.....

Reactions: JustaChicken
These freshmen girls we have..have no fear. This is a better group than any that have been before them at this stage. UCONN won't intimidate them.

It's Dawn that craps her pants when it comes to UConn. The players change, the results don't. We'll see...

Reactions: gule
No, but she looks like a deer in headlights and her players have always reflected that on the court. Like I said, we'll see...

Well if the game won’t be close with UCONN and SC I could only imagine what it will be like against the Lady Vols. ;)

Well if the game won’t be close with UCONN and SC I could only imagine what it will be like against the Lady Vols. ;)

Ohhh so we are throwing stones are we ? LOL

You have to remember OUR coach knows what it is actually like to WIN against Geno and hand him a loss 😂😉

One good jab deserves another 😄

Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever
No, but she looks like a deer in headlights and her players have always reflected that on the court. Like I said, we'll see...
I would also point out that UCONN has had better players and a much deeper bench in each game we played them. I would venture to say that won't be the case for the first time against us...but as you say...we'll see...

Reactions: SCspur
Jeff Walz would've lost to UT Martin if one of their players had made a free throw at the end. Louisville ended up winning in overtime. When Louisville played Kentucky the player that just shot the lights out and scored 37 against Tennessee could not hit the broad side of a barn and missed a wide open three on the last play of the game that made Kentucky lose by one. If SC is ever gonna beat UConn I would say this is as good as it gets playing at home with the talent they have on their roster. SC is by far the most talented roster in the SEC so Iook forward to that game with no prediction of who will win.

UConn never has a deep bench. Where have you been?
You are crazy...they turn away players and pick and chose who they want. They may not have relied on them the way most teams do..but UCONN has always had a deeper bench than all of us. You have no clue what you are talking about...Geno.."Oh..I have a good starting 5 so I don't need a deep bench so please pick another school." NOT !!! He still had a bench of stars who were sitting instead of playing for other teams...so...get real !

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
UConn never has a deep bench. Where have you been?

UCONN may not usually have a deep bench, but they always have a quality bench. Almost every season (except maybe this one) they have at least 3 players riding the pine that would be starting at any other program. Only reason they have a such a short bench this season is because players are getting tired out that. They have had more transfers in recent years, fewer good players are willing to sit almost a whole season just to please a pig headed egomanic who “doesn’t play stupid freshman.”

Reactions: Argonaut
UCONN may not usually have a deep bench, but they always have a quality bench. Almost every season (except maybe this one) they have at least 3 players riding the pine that would be starting at any other program. Only reason they have a such a short bench this season is because players are getting tired out that. They have had more transfers in recent years, fewer good players are willing to sit almost a whole season just to please a pig headed egomanic who “doesn’t play stupid freshman.”

3 of them from the 2017 clan
Lexi Gordon to Texas
Mikayla Coombs to GA
Andra Espinoza Hunter to Miss St

Reactions: JustaChicken
I’m talking other seasons where he hardly ever goes past 7-8 players unless it’s a blowout. I know they have a quality branch every year

Not your typical UConn players and would never have played meaningful minutes. Not sure why they were recruited. Coombs was the only one of the three who had a chance because she plays hard and does other things on the court (defends, rebounds well for a guard), but she is so lacking in offensive skills and instincts that she just couldn't play at UConn's level. Espinoza-Hunter left for off the court reasons but wanting to stand behind the arc and shoot all game would not have earned her minutes. Gordon is too slow.

UConn has a short, but capable bench. Freshmen Makurat and Griffen would start for many top twenty-five teams.

There's a wide gap between starting at any other program and earning meaningful minutes at UConn. UConn plays an entirely different brand of basketball than all but a few teams in the country.

I would also point out that UCONN has had better players and a much deeper bench in each game we played them. I would venture to say that won't be the case for the first time against us...but as you say...we'll see...

Neither of which explain the margin of victory in some of the match-ups. In most of the games between the two teams SC just looked outclassed. This is the year for Dawn's team to beat UConn especially with the game at SC.

Reactions: PointGuard

VN Store

Back