Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Not based on that ridiculous theory you put out there about him.

You really believe he would risk a players health in order to win championships and break records?

Not a theory....

Geno Auriemma unleashes rant on Lady Vols after Evina Westbrook’s denied appeal

“Well think about this. A kid is in an environment that’s not necessarily healthy,” Auriemma said according to 247Sports. “An environment that, if you knew what the environment was, which I can’t say, you would not want your kid in that environment. And the athletic director there (Philip Fulmer) knows it, OK, but he’s not going to support her leaving, which would’ve helped us a little bit. And now her reward is she has to sit at home, even when we travel, and can’t play. So she should’ve stuck it out, right?”

I don’t have to theorize when he has provided such a distinct, telling digital trail.

Not a theory....

“Well think about this. A kid is in an environment that’s not necessarily healthy,” Auriemma said according to 247Sports. “An environment that, if you knew what the environment was, which I can’t say, you would not want your kid in that environment. And the athletic director there (Philip Fulmer) knows it, OK, but he’s not going to support her leaving, which would’ve helped us a little bit. And now her reward is she has to sit at home, even when we travel, and can’t play. So she should’ve stuck it out, right?”

I don’t have to theorize when he has provided such a distinct, telling digital trail.

And that shows that Geno would risk an injury to a player to win a championship? How did you get that from that quote?

And that shows that Geno would risk an injury to a player to win a championship? How did you get that from that quote?

He publicly bashed Tennessee for an “unhealthy environment“ which is what he was surreptitiously creating for Westbrook by lobbying/appealing/demanding that she get immediate eligibility, knowing that she still had vulnerability in that limb. Hypocrisy!

IF she has been practicing with her UConn teammates, why would her subsequent injury not be on Gee no's watch? UT has no liability...... imho

Reactions: stlvolsfan
He publicly bashed Tennessee for an “unhealthy environment“ which is what he was surreptitiously creating for Westbrook by lobbying/appealing/demanding that she get immediate eligibility, knowing that she still had vulnerability in that limb. Hypocrisy!

In my opinion it’s unlikely that he knew she’d need two surgeries. How could he have known that even before Evina? My best guess is that after the first surgery maybe rehab wasn’t going as smoothly as expected and, so, since she’d already been declared ineligible for this season, the surgeon decided to go back in to see if there was something that needed cleaning up.

As for Auriemma’s extreme reaction to Westbrook’s denial, I’m still of the opinion that he had been so sure that she’d get to play that he told Evina and her family that he was absolutely, positively, 100% certain she’d play.

For all we know — and we’ll NEVER know — Evina and her family may have been privately on the fence about whether she should or shouldn’t transfer. It very well may have been that the last thing standing between her staying or transferring was the issue of whether she’d have to sit or not. She may have really, reeeeaaaallllyyy not wanted to have to spend an extra year at college. Maybe she told Auriemma that, and after he made his honest determination that she was a lock to receive the waiver, he very likely made a sincerely-felt (if ill-advised) promise to a group of people that ended up being broken.

IMO, his extreme reaction seemed to indicate that he’d been personally bruised by the denial (because he felt like a cad for breaking a promise) in addition to feeling bad for Evina.

Last edited:
Don’t you spin me as Simple Simon. Auriemma is a hypocrite. His motive is clear. He is just obsessed with hanging another banner or breaking a record. And he couldn’t handle not getting his way. He was prepared to use this kid, knowing that she would be playing with a vulnerable limb that could be secured/improved with medical attention and time. What a hypocrite! That’s an unhealthy environment!
Just a few facts here.

Her surgery that impinged upon her playing took place last summer. Shortly after she signed with UConn. The same time as Crystal Dangerfield. They went through therapy and Evina was cleared to play. The current surgery was, as I understand, just a cleanup that could have waited until the spring. No one put Evina in danger at UConn.

To say that the environment was unhealthy is to avoid the facts. I follow LV's and knew there was some issue with her knee. I don't remember anyone at UT saying she was planning on off season surgery. When she got to UConn they immediately scheduled the surgery to take care of her.

AS I read your comments it seems to me that your trying to paint UConn as an unhealthy environment is just your failed attempt to cover for your favorite team. When the argument is lost the loser resorts to sarcasm. Just drop it and let's get back to talking basketball.

Reactions: brassie
IF she has been practicing with her UConn teammates, why would her subsequent injury not be on Gee no's watch? UT has no liability...... imho
Facts @gule facts. The surgery was a routine cleanup that is common after treatment. It was not to fix an injury. You're right UT has no liability, if that is important to you.

Not a theory....

That''s Geno. Straight forward. No BS exactly what he thinks all the time. No deception or trying to spin something. he not very tactful never has been. Just honestly giving his unvarnished approval.

In my opinion it’s unlikely that he knew she’d need two surgeries. How could he have known that even before Evina? My best guess is that after the first surgery maybe rehab wasn’t going as smoothly as expected and, so, since she’d already been declared ineligible for this season, the surgeon decided to go back in to see if there was something that needed cleaning up.

As for Auriemma’s extreme reaction to Westbrook’s denial, I’m still of the opinion that he had been so sure that she’d get to play that he told Evina and her family that he was absolutely, positively, 100% certain she’d play.

For all we know — and we’ll NEVER know — Evina and her family may have been privately on the fence about whether she should or shouldn’t transfer. It very well may have been that the last thing standing between her staying or transferring was the issue of whether she’d have to sit or not. She may have really, reeeeaaaallllyyy not wanted to have to spend an extra year at college. Maybe she told Auriemma that, and after he made his honest determination that she was a lock to receive the waiver, he very likely made a sincerely-felt (if ill-advised) promise to a group of people that ended up being broken.

IMO, his extreme reaction seemed to indicate that he’d been personally bruised by the denial (because he felt like a cad for breaking a promise) in addition to feeling bad for Evina.
Evina won't have to stay another year in college. UConn expects her to go pro after her junior year.

Facts @gule facts. The surgery was a routine cleanup that is common after treatment. It was not to fix an injury. You're right UT has no liability, if that is important to you.

And where are you getting these ‘facts?’

It’s almost never a good sign when they have to go in twice. Typically means the original surgery did not accomplish the intended goal or created an unintended sequela (scarring etc) requiring correction. Problems like this are why many orthopedists now take a more conservative approach to knee surgeries.

It is not unheard of to plan to have two surgeries, but the timeline here doesn’t make sense for that to be the case. The only case where I would call it a “routine cleanup” is if it had been planned for. Unplanned surgery is not routine, ever. Most major knee operations have a global period of 90 days and if something needs to be corrected it’s typically done within that time frame before the incision heals and scars. There are very few operations that require a follow-up surgery because you risk creating more problems, like infection and scarring, each time you open the joint. You also extend the healing time further, making return to normal play less and less likely.

Quite possible she got bad medical advice AT UConn. Not the other way around. Surgery isn’t always the answer.

Last edited:
Just a few facts here.

Her surgery that impinged upon her playing took place last summer. Shortly after she signed with UConn. The same time as Crystal Dangerfield. They went through therapy and Evina was cleared to play. The current surgery was, as I understand, just a cleanup that could have waited until the spring. No one put Evina in danger at UConn.

To say that the environment was unhealthy is to avoid the facts. I follow LV's and knew there was some issue with her knee. I don't remember anyone at UT saying she was planning on off season surgery. When she got to UConn they immediately scheduled the surgery to take care of her.

AS I read your comments it seems to me that your trying to paint UConn as an unhealthy environment is just your failed attempt to cover for your favorite team. When the argument is lost the loser resorts to sarcasm. Just drop it and let's get back to talking basketball.

Agree with VolBall09 "And where are you getting these ‘facts?’" This is all speculation unless you're in the Westbrook family.

Here is some more speculation which might have been accurate. In January 2019, Summitt board posters discussed hearing Westbrook required surgery to correct her knee, which was an issue since high school. Pain was increasing and recovery was taking longer after each game/practice. The decision was hers but one that she and her family kept postponing for many years. Many on the Summitt heard her plan was after 2018-2019 season she was going to have surgery and would miss following season since recovery would take 9 plus months.

After Westbrook left TN, based on discussions with Conn/Geno, she had "mini" surgery since she might have the opportunity to play this season. When waiver was rejected, Westbrook completed "full" surgery that she always required.

Last edited:
Just a few facts here.

That’s exactly how Geno did us. Suck it up buttercup

Reactions: stlvolsfan

It’s almost never a good sign when they have to go in twice. Typically means the original surgery did not accomplish the intended goal or created an unintended sequela (scarring etc) requiring correction. Problems like this are why many orthopedists now take a more conservative approach to knee surgeries.

It is not unheard of to plan to have two surgeries, but the timeline here doesn’t make sense for that to be the case. The only case where I would call it a “routine cleanup” is if it had been planned for. Unplanned surgery is not routine, ever. Most major knee operations have a global period of 90 days and if something needs to be corrected it’s typically done within that time frame before the incision heals and scars. There are very few operations that require a follow-up surgery because you risk creating more problems, like infection and scarring, each time you open the joint. You also extend the healing time further, making return to normal play less and less likely.

Quite possible she got bad medical advice AT UConn. Not the other way around. Surgery isn’t always the answer.

Either way, I don't think bad medical advice can be blamed on the basketball program or coach. The physician is responsible to the patient. If s/he's recommending or providing suboptimal care, then that's solely on him/her.

A routine clean up removes scar tissue. The reason they had the surgery now is exactly your point. She could have practiced the whole year. But have the scar tissue removed now so she is completely healed and ready to go next year. Open a joint. You make is sound like it was reconstructive. Are you familiar with arthroscopic surgery. Golly why be argumentative. It's no big deal anywhere in the world but this forum. Back to basketball please ladies.

Agree with VolBall09 "And where are you getting these ‘facts?’" This is all speculation unless you're the Westbrook family.

Here is some more speculation which might have been accurate. In January 2019, Summitt board posters discussed hearing Westbrook required surgery to correct her knee, which was an issue since high school. Pain was increasing and recovery was taking longer after each game/practice. The decision was hers but one that she and her family kept postponing for many years. Many on the Summitt heard her plan was after 2018-2019 season she was going to have surgery and would miss following season since recovery would take 9 plus months.

After Westbrook left TN, based on discussions with Conn/Geno, she had "mini" surgery since she might have the opportunity to play this season. When waiver was rejected, Westbrook completed "full" surgery that she always required.
Thanks Will. Now lets get back to Basketball

Reactions: Will83
UConn’s athletic department has self-reported at least 28 minor violations over the past two years, including one involving Kyrie Irving

Despite all of this, Geno is as clean as he can be. I wonder who was the recruit that ended up going to Tennessee who was there. when Kyrie Irving visited Geno. I suspect the recruit that ended up committing to UConn was Bueckers (Kyrie is her favorite NBA basketball player).

Aubrey Griffin was UConn's only 2019 committed recruit.

Out of Jordan Horston, Tamari Key, Emily Saunders, only Jordan was recruited by UConn.

Confirmation: Recruit Griffin excited to give UConn a look

That headline is slightly misleading to this forum. The women's basketball program had 3 self-reported violations, out of the 28 total, none of which seem particularly earth-shattering.

Reactions: Will83
Just a few facts here.

...and continue the cover-up....

Reactions: Terrells Bay88
South Carolina whipped Kentucky at home by 27. For Kentucky Howard does get some help scoring with the now eligible transfer point guard Patterson.
Who does Tennessee put on Howard?

Yeah, I’m afraid we don’t have a heckuva lot of lateral speed on this team, so every opponent with players with a particularly quick first step has a good chance of beating most of our roster.

I think Tennessee has been (for the most part) doing a terrific job of staying within 4-5 feet of their “man,” and (again, for the most part) that has been enough to slow down most opponents enough to beat them.

Even though we’re staying with opponents fairly well, in my opinion we’d be a far better defensive team if our hands were more active. Right now, we’ve mastered staying within a few feet of the opponent, and even are doing a decent job of staying in a semi-decent stance while having our hands out to the sides a little.

It appears to me that we’ve made great progress toward understanding Step One in “how to play tenacious defense,” but are still a long way away from mastering Step One.

Kellie needs for her team to continue to build stamina so that they can continue getting better and better at staying in an ACTIVE defensive stance — NOT just stand there with knees slightly bent, flat-footed, with arms out just a little but mostly inactive. The most difficult thing to do is keep an active defensive stance instead of the (mostly) passive one they have at this point, but they must get stronger so that they can get to the next level.

Their legs should always be moving, and their arms moving in such a way that it irritates and throws the offensive player out of kilter because they never know whether they’ll be able to get off a clean pass. Right now, we’re still mostly easy to pass and drive around because we (mostly) are only good at standing near them, but not in much of an interfering way.

Do I make sense?

Anyway, our players could actually do some of the admittedly excruciating leg/arm/cardio stamina work on their own if they reeeeeaaaalllly want to make a deep run this season. If even two players were willing to make that kind of sacrifice it would pay huge benefits for everyone.

VN Store

Back