Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Kiana Williams played almost the entire game. Maybe you mean Dijonai Carrington or Maya Dodson? Both are out with injury.
Damn, if they get either of these 2 back, enhances there chances of competing for a final 4. Are either of the injuries season ending for Carrington or Dodson?

Kiana Williams played almost the entire game. Maybe you mean Dijonai Carrington or Maya Dodson? Both are out with injury.

Thank you, wcbbfantakk, and you as well, Volfan2012. I should have clarified earlier, that I had checked the ESPN box score right after the game, and it listed her (Miss Williams) with all zeros, and “did not play,” (which they obviously corrected) so I asked the question, expecting that her absence might have played a considerable role in the loss at Texas. I’m looking forward to (at least trying) to watch the replay.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Damn, if they get either of these 2 back, enhances there chances of competing for a final 4. Are either of the injuries season ending for Carrington or Dodson?
No timetable has been given for either. My impression is that Carrington is expected back sooner. Dodson is still in a boot.

Wait, tennessee got blown out by 28 to a team that didnt even have two of its best players in the starting lineup? Yikes..

It's a trademark of a young-led team to be inconsistently great or bad.
Just part of the process
They could lose to Howard and beat uconn and it wouldn't surprise me.
They will be inconsistent until they become consistent

and we'll know when it happens
because all of us are looking for it.

It could start this week...

Reactions: stlvolsfan
It's a trademark of a young-led team to be inconsistently great or bad.
Just part of the process
They could lose to Howard and beat uconn and it wouldn't surprise me.
They will be inconsistent until they become consistent

and we'll know when it happens
because all of us are looking for it.

It could start this week...

It would surprise me...lol. On both counts.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
FYI mighty UC Davis with their 4-7 record played Stanford even most of the game before the Cardinal pulled away late for a 12 point win. That's reassuring...

Reactions: olddog
Clemson’s Kendall Spray (from Mt. Joliet, Tenn.) is the ACC’s Player of the Week.

Her uncle had posted a while back that she wanted to be a Lady Vol but was never even recruited by Tennessee. I really, really, REALLY hate it when we pass on lifelong Tennessee fans and then they go on to succeed elsewhere. At least she still gets to wear orange, even if it IS the wrong shade.

The good news is that Kellie has already proved that she’s going to give in-state talent the attention it deserves.

#12 Maryland gets beat(blowout status) by unranked Northwestern. Final score of 81-58. Still not sure if this season is proof of increasing parity in the women's game, but man it would be awesome if that is the case.

Northwestern should have been ranked -- and will be now. They have a very good team and could win the Big Ten this year. Their only loss was by 2 points to DePaul.

Speaking of cupcakes, Mo State just beat a team by 72 points...111-39.

And that was with the Mo St starters playing extremely limited minutes. Bench did the bulk of the damage.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Speaking of cupcakes, Mo State just beat a team by 72 points...111-39.

And that was with the Mo St starters playing extremely limited minutes. Bench did the bulk of the damage.

I just saw on William Jewel’s (the team MoSt crushed) website that the game was an exhibition game. Strange to have an exhibition in late December, but it does explain the score.

I just saw on William Jewel’s (the team MoSt crushed) website that the game was an exhibition game. Strange to have an exhibition in late December, but it does explain the score.

It is actually a smart way to get your team back into playing a game after the break when you think about it to get the team moving before conference play. It doesn’t hurt or help your record but it does get them moving and you can manage minutes. We played Hampton (even though they have a decent record and have a chance of winning their league) it was almost like a scrimmage.

Another way I have seen an exhibition game used is Sylvia Hatchell scheduled to play an exhibition between the end of the ACC tourney and the beginning of the NCAA tourney to keep her team sharp and get them moving and still be able to manage the minutes. She also worked on some schemes when brackets were revealed that she would implement against opponents.

Reactions: mcannon1
#12 Maryland gets beat(blowout status) by unranked Northwestern. Final score of 81-58. Still not sure if this season is proof of increasing parity in the women's game, but man it would be awesome if that is the case.

Parity would be great if it meant that the teams in the middle and the cellar dwellers were actually getting better. Unfortunately, the increase in upsets is because there are no longer very many quality teams at the top that demonstrate excellence in the way they perform. UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, Louisville, and Maryland are playing below their traditional levels. Sadly, there have been too many games televised on national TV this year between teams that shoot in the low thirty percent range, miss wide open jump shots and layups, and look like they have never run an offensive set before. It's clear that the numbers are not the result of defensive excellence by their opponents. Toss in all the turnovers and lazy fouls, and it's just butt-ugly basketball. I cannot image that a casual observer flipping channels would ever tune into WCBB again after seeing some of the performances shown this year.

There are a lot more good WCBB players available, but sadly the coaching isn't keeping pace with the talent level of the players.

I want be surprised at any upset I see because they are going to happen. Ohio State has been all over the place losing to lesser teams and winning against some top teams. Louisville should've lost to UT Martin they lucked out because of bad free throw shooting. You can't really relate the results of any game as to what the results of the next game will be regardless of opponent. Parity is higher in women's basketball this season than it has ever been.

Reactions: JustaChicken

VN Store

Back