Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I respectfully disagree. I don't think the SEC is wide open this year. But could be a toss up between Miss State, A&M & SC

giphy.gif

What'd you all think of SC's freshmen? Maryland returned all 5 starters this year plus their #3 recruiting class. They whipped SC in Columbia last year

Real Deal! They all have to intangibles to be really special. Beal shots will begin to fall as will Cooke’s but once Amihere gets 100% I don’t see anyone in the SEC and maybe the country who will be able to stop those two! We’re in for a real treat!

Does anyone know when Alexis Morris will be eligible for Rutgers? I think they are going to have a pretty solid team this year. If everyone can stay out of trouble and the wheels don’t fall off.

I can’t recall all the details of her departure.

Guirantes, the Texas Tech transfer has gone off so far this season.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Does anyone know when Alexis Morris will be eligible for Rutgers? I think they are going to have a pretty solid team this year. If everyone can stay out of trouble and the wheels don’t fall off.

I can’t recall all the details of her departure.

Guirantes, the Texas Tech transfer has gone off so far this season.
Reportedly, in January.

Reactions: VolBall09
Maryland down against JMU, 44-32 in the middle of the 3rd. What the heck is going on?? And Vanderbilt keeping UConn to a low score...can't see the game yet, but that is strange.

No, they wouldn't. Especially after Zay went down...

I think it will be a good game and I actually give us the edge. They were out rebounded by Vandy tonight and they have nowhere near the size we have. Nelson-Ododa will have her hands way full against us. If she gets in any sort of foul trouble they will be dead in the water. She’s going to be forced to play carefully against any team with significant size.

They have no bench and have to count on all 5 starters to score in double figures and stay out of foul trouble. They just don’t have that going on at all right now. Our bench was actually a huge difference maker in the ND game. Contributions from Kamera and KK were the difference in the game. I could picture a similar scenario against UCONN.

I think it will be a good game and I actually give us the edge. They were out rebounded by Vandy tonight and they have nowhere near the size we have. Nelson-Ododa will have her hands way full against us. If she gets in any sort of foul trouble they will be dead in the water. She’s going to be forced to play carefully against any team with significant size.

They have no bench and have to count on all 5 starters to score in double figures and stay out of foul trouble. They just don’t have that going on at all right now. Our bench was actually a huge difference maker in the ND game. Contributions from Kamera and KK were the difference in the game. I could picture a similar scenario against UCONN.

I believe our post players, especially Tamari Key will give Nelson-Ododa significantly more problem than Fasoula, Vandy's one decent sized post player, did, assuming that the home court refereeing doesn't take a drastic toll! I'm not sure about giving us the edge, however. The Lady Vols are going to have to cut down on the lazy passes significantly and learn to value the possession of the ball more than they have shown in the first three games, so far. The UConn team has some effective shooters and they are really quick in getting in the passing lanes, especially Christyn Williams. One good thing is that we shouldn't have to worry about getting the crew that refereed tonight's game with Vandy. In my opinion, they allowed UConn to get away with significantly more rough, physical play than should have been allowed. Even the broadcasters commented, on more than one occasion, that the refs were "really allowing them to bang away in the interior".

Jim

She’s not out indefinitely. The press release literally says she’ll miss “at least one game.” That’s not indefinite.
Actually, that's the definition of indefinitely.
Indefinitely = for an unlimited or unspecified period of time.
She's not out for the remainder of the year, but they don't say when she'll return; hence, she will be out an indefinite period of time.
If they had included the original estimate of missing 4-6 weeks in the press release, then I would tend to agree with you that it's not indefinite.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I believe our post players, especially Tamari Key will give Nelson-Ododa significantly more problem than Fasoula, Vandy's one decent sized post player, did, assuming that the home court refereeing doesn't take a drastic toll! I'm not sure about giving us the edge, however. The Lady Vols are going to have to cut down on the lazy passes significantly and learn to value the possession of the ball more than they have shown in the first three games, so far. The UConn team has some effective shooters and they are really quick in getting in the passing lanes, especially Christyn Williams. One good thing is that we shouldn't have to worry about getting the crew that refereed tonight's game with Vandy. In my opinion, they allowed UConn to get away with significantly more rough, physical play than should have been allowed. Even the broadcasters commented, on more than one occasion, that the refs were "really allowing them to bang away in the interior".

Jim
I didn't watch the game but have a question regarding your quote of the broadcasters.
The refs were "really allowing them to bang away in the interior".
Does them mean only uconn was allowed to bang away or does it mean both teams were allowed ?

Last edited:
I didn't watch the game but have a question regarding your quote of the broadcasters.
The refs were "really allowing them to bang away in the interior".
Does them mean only uconn was allowed to bang away or does it mean both teams were allowed ?

Well, the announcers were no clearer than what I typed. But, announcers being announcers, I'm sure they meant both teams, since they so seldom will call out one-sided calls. If you had watched the game, I think you would have seen that Vandy wasn't doing a lot of banging inside, however. Not because they weren't allowed to necessarily, but because they just weren't very successful at it. If I get the import of your question, you seem to be asking if the refs were giving UConn an advantage and my answer would be that it was not necessarily intentional. But, in my opinion, failing to call, what appears to be, an obvious foul and is called almost uniformly on the perimeter, awards the more physical team for their physical play. It may just be one of my pet peeves, but I have reviewed peoples' comments for years lamenting touch fouls on the perimeter, while allowing clear mauling to go on in the interior play. The particular problem with this, at least in my opinion, is that, despite what is frequently stated, basketball was never intended to be the contact sport it has become. Of course, another problem is that the rules (and I feel this applies pretty much across the board), particularly on the interior, are applied so inconsistently. Just my jumping on my soapbox!

Jim

She’s not out indefinitely. The press release literally says she’ll miss “at least one game.” That’s not indefinite.

Doubt it is any more than 1-3 games which they shouldn’t need her in. Bet she’s back by or before the South Carolina game.

Baylor’s Lauren Cox out indefinitely with foot injury

And the article on ESPN that said one game in the headline added this in the article.

“Baylor senior forward Lauren Cox will be out for with a foot injury for Thursday's game against Houston Baptist, and her return is uncertain. Cox could miss several games for the defending national champion Lady Bears.”

Sounds like indefinitely to me.

Baylor’s Lauren Cox out indefinitely with foot injury

And the article on ESPN that said one game in the headline added this in the article.

“Baylor senior forward Lauren Cox will be out for with a foot injury for Thursday's game against Houston Baptist, and her return is uncertain. Cox could miss several games for the defending national champion Lady Bears.”

Sounds like indefinitely to me.

That’s pure conjecture. Nowhere has Baylor released an official statement stating she’ll miss anymore than one game. They said she’ll sit Thursday and resume play based on symptoms. When it’s stated that play will resume based on symptoms that means it’s essentially 100% up to the athlete. If she says “it feels fine” she plays. You, and those garbage articles, are making it out to sound as though she’ll be out for an extended period of time. 1573754509865.jpegHere is the ONLY official statement.

Last edited:
That’s pure conjecture. Nowhere has Baylor released an official statement stating she’ll miss anymore than one game. They said she’ll sit Thursday and resume play based on symptoms. When it’s stated that play will resume based on symptoms that means it’s essentially 100% up to the athlete. If she says “it feels fine” she plays. You, and those garbage articles, are making it out to sound as though she’ll be out for an extended period of time. View attachment 238295Here is the ONLY official statement.
Which means indefinite.

VN Store

Back