Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Yea, I have no clue why some get approved and others don’t.

Annie essentially sat out a season anyway so I’m guessing that played a part in their decision. Littleton left Texas and there was no coaching change so I can’t understand why they thought she had a chance anyway? I’m sure Dawn will still whine about it.

I won’t be shocked if Evina is approved because there was a coaching change at her previous school.

I wonder if the NCAA would consider "toxic" atmosphere among fans and in the locker room as a reason to award her a waiver?

Te’a has to sit out and still got denied.

Very different situation. She was dismissed from the University. Not just the team. It takes quite a lot to be completely dismissed from a school which indicates that the fight likely wasn’t her first issue with the school. It was also reported that Tennessee contested her waiver. Never heard them doing so with Annie.

Very different situation. She was dismissed from the University. Not just the team. It takes quite a lot to be completely dismissed from a school which indicates that the fight likely wasn’t her first issue with the school. It was also reported that Tennessee contested her waiver. Never heard them doing so with Annie.

Weren’t there reports that CHW tried to keep Annie but the AD and admin said she was being dismissed?

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Weren’t there reports that CHW tried to keep Annie but the AD and admin said she was being dismissed?

I have absolutely no idea. I wouldn’t be surprised though. I do think her situation was very different. From what I recall the infraction did not occur on campus.

I thought it was actually Te'a who Holly fought to keep from being dismissed?

All these dismissals I can’t keep them straight. Thank you. And my post was not to point fingers at any of the players but trying to get a handle on why the NCAA clears some and not others.

Didn’t see it mentioned but Anastasia Hayes was granted a waiver to play for MTSU. She got the waiver to play in the fall instead of having to sit out til after first semester in her exhibition game she scored 14 points (on 4 of 16 shooting, 0-3 3%, and 6-10 from free throw line) .

It’s weird Mimi Collins was said to be denied and then I guess it was stated that MD didn’t apply? I don’t know why they wouldn’t apply?

No mention of Evina yet. The Annie situation makes me think she might get approved while the whole Mimi thing if they did apply might make me think other wise.

Good luck to them all on their future endeavors.
I just heard Evina’s waiver was denied

I just heard Evina’s waiver was denied
That is the information on the UConn message boards. UConn will appeal - and, in typical Geno fashion, he has been quoted as saying that he believed Tennessee didn't provide accurate information regarding Westbrook's situation.

It also appears, at least to me, that Geno and the UConn Athletic Director aren't on the same page. David Benedict issued a statement with regard to the NCAA denial of Westbrook's immediate eligibility in which he said,

"Her former school did not oppose the waiver. In fact, to its credit, it expressed appreciation for Evina's contributions there and wished her well. It made clear that she was in good academic standing, had not been dismissed from that team, and - but for the extenuating circumstances causing her to seek a fresh start and new environment via a transfer - would have remained on full scholarship."

Maybe Geno is just trying to "stir the pot" in advance of the resumption of the Tennessee-UConn games.

Jim

Last edited:
These transfers are all about whom the NCAA wants to bolster. Case in point, immediate eligibility granted after multiple interviews within days of announcing transfer with these quotes. None of this sounds like immediate eligibility...no hardship, comfortable, just wanted to win and improve draft stock.

I think the biggest reason why ......... was the right choice is the coaching staff and the players,” ........ told the Tribune in a phone interview Thursday night. “Their staff’s ability to develop players, to get them ready for the next level and compete at this level, it’s not really comparable to any other coaching staff.

I had no issue with ..............,” “Ultimately it came down to what I wanted to accomplish in college and the next level. ............ just wasn’t the place to get me there.”

I want to play for championships. And I want to get pushed every day in practice to get the development I need to get to the next level (WNBA).”

“Ultimately what it came down to, at the end of the day what I want to accomplish in college and the opportunities I wanted to have after college I didn’t feel I was on the right track,” she said.

“One of my friends said, ‘Sometimes you have to do what’s scary to grow.’ When she said that, I thought, ‘Yeah I need to do what’s scary rather than what I’m comfortable with.’

“.......... has a coach that is second to none and considered the best in the country,” .......... said. “My skills fit into the offense they run and that offense will allow me to play on the perimeter and in the post.”

“The scary part wasn’t ............... The scary part was deciding if I was leaving ............... or not. Obviously, I grew up here. I have family here, friends here. I’m comfortable. Sometimes you have to venture out a little bit to see what’s out there.”

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
That is the information on the UConn message boards. UConn will appeal - and, in typical Geno fashion, he has been quoted as saying that he believed Tennessee didn't provide accurate information regarding Westbrook's situation.

Jim

UConn official statement.

Jim[/QUOT
Who else can play point for UConn besides Dangerfield? Perhaps C. Williams?

Reactions: VolBall09
I have nothing against Evina as a person, but if it was as bad as UConn and Geno are making it out to be, more than just one individual who have left the program, and I say one because Mimi left as a result of Holly’s departure.

Seems like there may be something up with Evina if she was the only player receiving such poor treatment.

I have nothing against Evina as a person, but if it was as bad as UConn and Geno are making it out to be, more than just one individual who have left the program, and I say one because Mimi left as a result of Holly’s departure.

Seems like there may be something up with Evina if she was the only player receiving such poor treatment.

If we're talking about fans, then there's usually one scapegoat: Simmons, Massengale, Diamond, Mercedes and Evina were the easy targets in their seasons.

It sucks, but if you can't take some foaming at the mouth fans talking ish about you when you have a bad game, then it's probably not in your best interest to play for a high profile program. Whatever Evina got was probably not even 10% of what football players at Alabama or Auburn deal with when they make plays that lose games.

If we're talking about fans, then there's usually one scapegoat: Simmons, Massengale, Diamond, Mercedes and Evina were the easy targets in their seasons.

It sucks, but if you can't take some foaming at the mouth fans talking ish about you when you have a bad game, then it's probably not in your best interest to play for a high profile program. Whatever Evina got was probably not even 10% of what football players at Alabama or Auburn deal with when they make plays that lose games.
I seem to be going against the grain with this opinion, but I'm personally skeptical that criticism from fans had much, if anything, to do with the transfer. Having said that, I have no idea what the actual reasons were. As with most waiver requests, that information is private, i.e., not publicly known or verifiable.

Whether the NCAA approves or denies a waiver request, in most cases we as fans can only speculate as to why. Why was Jessica Shepard's waiver request at Notre Dame, a full year after the coaching change at Nebraska, approved? Why was Westbrook's denied? In the absence of verifiable information, speculation and conspiracy talk abound, unfortunately.

I will say, I don't think Geno is the type to submit a waiver request frivolously or cynically. Many fans (outsiders) thought he should've submitted a waiver request for Azura Stevens, amid rumblings of negative circumstances in the Duke program, but Geno stated then that he didn't really see the grounds for it.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back