Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

"Louisville says the NCAA has granted waivers to Georgia Tech transfers Elizabeth Balogun and Elizabeth Dixon, making two of the Atlantic Coast Conference's top freshmen last season immediately eligible to play for the Cardinals. Balogun and Dixon left Tech after the school fired coach MaChelle Joseph on March 26 following an independent investigation into alleged mistreatment of players and staff."

Sure wish the NCAA would be transparent and say exactly why some players get waivers and others do not. Frankly, my suspicion is that all a player has to do is claim that she was "mistreated" and bingo, with who knows what, if any, due process, she gets a waiver.

P.S. One wonders if Pat Summitt would have lasted even 5 years if she had to coach under today's standards of "mistreatment" --- just sayin'

I think this scenario is perfectly reasonable. The coach that the two players signed under was fired, so they left the program. It's for this reason that I think that Mimi Collins will also get immediate eligibility.

I think this scenario is perfectly reasonable. The coach that the two players signed under was fired, so they left the program. It's for this reason that I think that Mimi Collins will also get immediate eligibility.
Good test case --- personally, I doubt a simple coaching change is enough to trigger a waiver.

Good test case --- personally, I doubt a simple coaching change is enough to trigger a waiver.

This is one scenario where it seems that players will consistently get the waiver. I'm interested in seeing if Evina Westbrook gets one, given that it could be construed that she was in favor of a coaching change. It would make my day to see all of the transfers from schools with coaching changes get their waiver approved except for her.

"Louisville says the NCAA has granted waivers to Georgia Tech transfers Elizabeth Balogun and Elizabeth Dixon, making two of the Atlantic Coast Conference's top freshmen last season immediately eligible to play for the Cardinals. Balogun and Dixon left Tech after the school fired coach MaChelle Joseph on March 26 following an independent investigation into alleged mistreatment of players and staff."

Sure wish the NCAA would be transparent and say exactly why some players get waivers and others do not. Frankly, my suspicion is that all a player has to do is claim that she was "mistreated" and bingo, with who knows what, if any, due process, she gets a waiver.

P.S. One wonders if Pat Summitt would have lasted even 5 years if she had to coach under today's standards of "mistreatment" --- just sayin'

The news that might interest LV fans is both of those players are Tennessee natives.

Reactions: BUBear and mcannon1
This is one scenario where it seems that players will consistently get the waiver. I'm interested in seeing if Evina Westbrook gets one, given that it could be construed that she was in favor of a coaching change. It would make my day to see all of the transfers from schools with coaching changes get their waiver approved except for her.

You really dislike her so much you would wish she loses a year of eligibility? Or you dislike UConn that much? Or both....lol?

After reading some of these comments, I literally just said a little prayer of hope that Evina Westbrook is granted her waiver.

Good grief, people. :(

Though Westbrook did NOT call for a coaching change as so many have wrongly persisted she did, her final post-game interview DID serve a purpose, and I will be forever grateful to her for her minor role in it. As soon as the misinformation that she had "called for Holly to be fired" went viral, the national conversation surrounding the possibility that she eventually would/should be fired became the reality that even Warlick's most diehard defenders could no longer deny.

I want Evina Westbrook to be happy. Yes, I wish she could have been happy at Tennessee because I think she came to Knoxville with big dreams and a strong desire to be a LVFL like some of the players she grew up admiring,. But it wasn't to be -- and I don't blame her for it. Was the family photo announcing her transfer to Connecticut a little on the obnoxious side? Yes. BUT, I forgave her and her family that immediately knowing the ugliness that had been spewed at her for months on end. And if the truth were ever told, I have a feeling that photo wasn't Evina's idea at all. Just saying'. Regardless, that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

HAVE A GREAT YEAR, EVINA WESTBROOK!

Last edited:
After reading some of these comments, I literally just said a little prayer of hope that Evina Westbrook is granted her waiver.

Good grief, people. :(

Though Westbrook did NOT call for a coaching change as so many have wrongly persisted she did, her final post-game interview DID serve a purpose, and I will be forever grateful to her for her minor role in it. As soon as the misinformation that she had "called for Holly to be fired" went viral, the national conversation surrounding the possibility that she eventually would/should be fired became the reality that even Warlick's most diehard defenders could no longer deny.

I want Evina Westbrook to be happy. Yes, I wish she could have been happy at Tennessee because I think she came to Knoxville with big dreams and a strong desire to be a LVFL like some of the players she grew up admiring, but it wasn't to be -- and I don't blame her for it. Was the family photo announcing her transfer to Connecticut a little on the obnoxious side? Yes. BUT, I forgave her and her family that immediately knowing the ugliness that had been spewed at her for months on end. And if the truth were ever told, I have a feeling that photo wasn't Evina's idea at all. Just saying'. Regardless, that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

HAVE A GREAT YEAR, EVINA WESTBROOK!

That’s fine I wish her all the best too but there is a difference for wanting to leave and your coach being fired after two investigations for mistreatment of players and using derogatory language to student athletes.

I don’t blame Evina if she gets a waiver I blame the NCAA who has continually muddied the water on what an immoderate eligibility waver was. It used to be cleared a sick parent or family member ✅, mistreatment of players✅, etc.

Again I wish her all the best but I’m not worried about her unless she is suiting up against us!

Reactions: stlvolsfan
You really dislike her so much you would wish she loses a year of eligibility? Or you dislike UConn that much? Or both....lol?

The latter. I actually liked Evina. I was rooting for her all season when she was getting trashed by a lot of people on this board. But all's fair in love and war, and UConn is projected to be down this year and don't need a difference-maker like Evina to...well...make a difference for UConn. But cheer up...she still has 2 years of eligibility :)

The latter. I actually liked Evina. I was rooting for her all season when she was getting trashed by a lot of people on this board. But all's fair in love and war, and UConn is projected to be down this year and don't need a difference-maker like Evina to...well...make a difference for UConn. But cheer up...she still has 2 years of eligibility :)
Either way, I’m still in shock she chose UConn.

Reactions: volnationnj
I don’t like the way she handled the situation, but she’s a kid and wouldn’t want her punished for leaving. With that being said I wouldn’t be sad if she wasn’t granted a waiver bc I HATE UCONN

Reactions: Amb3096
Miss St with another commitment 6’2” Forward DeYona Gaston from TX. If all holds up that should be player number 15 but he still has offers for the tall Hamilton Heights center, Treasure Hunt, and Sara Andrews.

Miss St with another commitment 6’2” Forward DeYona Gaston from TX. If all holds up that should be player number 15 but he still has offers for the tall Hamilton Heights center, Treasure Hunt, and Sara Andrews.

This is interesting!!!!! A #95 recruit (HG) with two top ten recruits with offers ...... 🤔.

Somebody’s leaving ???? Simply subtraction by addition! 😈

They dropped Hunt, but remain in pursuit of Cardoso and Andrews.
This is interesting!!!!! A #95 recruit (HG) with two top ten recruits with offers ...... 🤔.

Somebody’s leaving ???? Simply subtraction by addition! 😈
Gaston is one of those who was ranked high and then fell due to injuries.

They dropped Hunt, but remain in pursuit of Cardoso and Andrews.

Gaston is one of those who was ranked high and then fell due to injuries.

Ah ok... where did you see they dropped hunt? Hunt and the Kentucky staff have been close for years and they have been in on her... wouldn’t be surprised if she goes there. Can’t count out Baylor with their recent success and SC. Auburn is the darkhorse and sort of plays like HH.

Ah ok... where did you see they dropped hunt? Hunt and the Kentucky staff have been close for years and they have been in on her... wouldn’t be surprised if she goes there. Can’t count out Baylor with their recent success and SC. Auburn is the darkhorse and sort of plays like HH.
Heard Hunt had a good visit at Baylor over the weekend. She attended the #1 ranked Lady Bears Volleyball match. Auburn rolled out the red carpet for her and brought in Charles Barkley to spend time with her

I think that if the coach you signed with gets fired you have a great shot at a waiver otherwise not so good. I expect Westbrook to receive a waiver to play next season.

I think that if the coach you signed with gets fired you have a great shot at a waiver otherwise not so good. I expect Westbrook to receive a waiver to play next season.
I agree but her choosing UConn almost automatically provided her a waiver. It adds more to the two teams finally playing each other after a decade of not doing so. It will be all that is talked about concerning WBB leading up to and during the week of the game.

I agree but her choosing UConn almost automatically provided her a waiver. It adds more to the two teams finally playing each other after a decade of not doing so. It will be all that is talked about concerning WBB leading up to and during the week of the game.

Somebody on our team has scrimmaged against her, and will be ready to guard her for real.
She's a threat, but stoppable.

E was not a speedster and didn't move well laterally...Someone like that you attack their dribble on the bringdown and close in on her when she reaches half-court...E goes to the back-down-dribble when closely defended, so she can be blindside-stolen from on her pivot to turn forward. Which by the way was how many of her turnovers happened in an orange uniform.

E was not a speedster and didn't move well laterally...

Depending on how well her surgery went and how complete her rehab is by the time Tennessee plays CT, Evina may pick up a little more lateral quickness. Even a skoch more could make her dangerous. Also, I imagine that Auriemma will drill the habit going to the back-down dribble right out of her, so Kelly likely won’t be able to capitalize on that.

I always liked Evina — still do! — so I hope she gets cleared to play and that she bounces back better than ever. I don’t know if she was close to any of her former Lady Vol teammates, but if she was I imagine it’ll be bittersweet to see them again. Just hope our players can leave Storrs with their heads held high because they gave 100% effort.

Reactions: olddog
Fun Fact

There are only five (5) current Big 12 players who have been on a team that has beaten the Baylor Lady Bears.

Holmes, Higgs, Sutton and Underwood at Texas; Martin at West Virginia.

Both games happened in LC's and Juicy's freshman year.

In their three years at Baylor, LC and Juicy are 61-2 against Big 12 teams.

ISU 0-7
KU 0-6
KSU 0-9
OU 0-6
OSU 0-6
TCU 0-7
UT 1-6
TT 0-8
WVU 1-6

Reactions: NoBackBoard
2019-20 PRESEASON POLL
BIG 12 Conference

1. Baylor (9) 81
2. Texas (1) 71
3. West Virginia 66
4. Iowa State 49
5. Kansas State 47
6. Oklahoma State 39
7. Oklahoma 34
8. TCU 27
9. Texas Tech 26
10. Kansas 10

.. First place votes in parentheses
.. Coaches not allowed to vote for their own team

- BIG 12 WBB website, 10 Oct 2019

2019-20 PRESEASON POLL
BIG 12 Conference

1. Baylor (9) 81
2. Texas (1) 71
3. West Virginia 66
4. Iowa State 49
5. Kansas State 47
6. Oklahoma State 39
7. Oklahoma 34
8. TCU 27
9. Texas Tech 26
10. Kansas 10

.. First place votes in parentheses
.. Coaches not allowed to vote for their own team

- BIG 12 WBB website, 10 Oct 2019
Sutton is going to be a beast this year! I’m hoping this is also the year Holmes lives up to all the hype. Bad thing about Texas, other than them they don’t have much. I wasn’t impressed by Collier last year. Looked like she had a long way to being elite.

Speaking of Connecticut, Auriemma is probably ALREADY preparing to play Tennessee in practice. :p I know he says that Tennessee “is just another team” to them now, but I guarantee you that, of all the games on the CT schedule this season, he wants his team to kick butt the MOST against the Lady Vols. He may try to play it down publicly, but whether they realize it or not, his players will probably start specifically preparing to beat Tennessee very soon.

Remember back in day when his players used to admit that nearly every practice, all season long, he was reminding them that “if we’re going to beat Tennessee we need to....” ? Well, I doubt he’ll be saying that out loud every day, but it won’t be too far from his mind. Guaranteed.

Reactions: BUBear

VN Store

Back