Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Unfortunately, women's basketball has been plagued by some really trashy behavior lately. Williams, Howard and Martin (plus the Phoenix-Dallas "Fight Club") are giving the sport a black eye.

What makes it worse is that these women had practically zero repercussions. Williams should have been kicked out of the league and Howard should have been suspended pending an internal investigation. The fact that the league did their darned best to cover up these indiscretions is not a good look.
Very true. If it was the NFL or NBA or any male league people would be boycotting. We as women should demand more from ourselves.

Very true. If it was the NFL or NBA or any male league people would be boycotting. We as women should demand more from ourselves.

They've done a full 180 comparing how Kobe's rape allegation was swept under the rug 15 years ago to the zero tolerance today for anything that would make the league look bad. Then you have Natasha Howard being heavily promoted by the WNBA website and All Star game while some pretty disturbing allegations and videos are floating around the internet. I don't know if it's because she's gay, black, a woman or all three, but it's inexcusable to ignore it in this current social climate. The WNBA should be ashamed of themselves.

They've done a full 180 comparing how Kobe's rape allegation was swept under the rug 15 years ago to the zero tolerance today for anything that would make the league look bad. Then you have Natasha Howard being heavily promoted by the WNBA website and All Star game while some pretty disturbing allegations and videos are floating around the internet. I don't know if it's because she's gay, black, a woman or all three, but it's inexcusable to ignore it in this current social climate. The WNBA should be ashamed of themselves.

I would guess it's because her team relies on her and is desperate to win, forgoing ethics in the process. The most obvious reason, imo.

I would guess it's because her team relies on her and is desperate to win, forgoing ethics in the process. The most obvious reason, imo.

Then the WNBA needs to STFU about their social justice preaching if they're not willing to lead by example. They are just being the worst kind of hypocrites by sticking their collective heads in the sand whenever one of their players does sh1t like this.

Photo of Angie and her team against Oregon State! Oregon State won 85-51 -- I watched a little and Angie can still stroke it! Oregon State has some TALL girls.

Reactions: RollerVol
Was looking at the South Carolina roster and Amihere is listed as a redshirt freshman. Is she playing this year.

Here is what it says ... so she left school early and was technically a freshman last season. Smart move to get healthy.
  • Joined the team in January 2019 to receive treatment for a season-ending injury suffered early in her senior season of high school.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Was looking at the South Carolina roster and Amihere is listed as a redshirt freshman. Is she playing this year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she played after having about 8 months of physical therapy depending on when the surgery was and she still has about another 2-2.5 months to go til the season.

Last edited:

Yes she’s playing this year. She’s listed as a R-Freshman because she spent a semester on campus already. Athletically she’s a freshman but Academically she’ll be a sophomore spring semester.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Yes she’s playing this year. She’s listed as a R-Freshman because she spent a semester on campus already. Athletically she’s a freshman but Academically she’ll be a sophomore spring semester.

Uhm that’s what I said 😂 jk SC jk

Reactions: SCspur

Two 2021 athletes that have previous Baylor-related twitter postings
Jada Malone & Raven "Hollywood" Johnson

Current event achievement for both @ John Lewis Top 160 last weekend

Didn't know which thread to post this to:

JERSEY RETIREMENT
Kamie Ethridge

"The University of Texas will retire the No. 33 jersey of Kamie Ethridge in a halftime ceremony during the home football game against LSU on Saturday, Sept. 7 at Darrell K Royal Texas Memorial Stadium. The 1986 National Player of the Year, Ethridge will become the first female student-athlete at The University of Texas to have her jersey retired. A Lubbock, Texas, native, Ethridge starred for the Longhorns from 1982-83 to 1985-86. As the team's starting point guard, she led her 1986 Texas team to the NCAA Championship and a 34-0 record, marking the first undefeated season in women's college basketball."

Didn't know which thread to post this to:

JERSEY RETIREMENT
Kamie Ethridge

"The University of Texas will retire the No. 33 jersey of Kamie Ethridge in a halftime ceremony during the home football game against LSU on Saturday, Sept. 7 at Darrell K Royal Texas Memorial Stadium. The 1986 National Player of the Year, Ethridge will become the first female student-athlete at The University of Texas to have her jersey retired. A Lubbock, Texas, native, Ethridge starred for the Longhorns from 1982-83 to 1985-86. As the team's starting point guard, she led her 1986 Texas team to the NCAA Championship and a 34-0 record, marking the first undefeated season in women's college basketball."

Reactions: lvocd
And the first to have her jersey retired there? That surprises me. Will others follow, I wonder? Clarissa Davis? Andrea Lloyd? Annette Smith? Nell Fortner? Sue Anderson? Vicki Hall? Bev Williams?

Reactions: BUBear
Hailey Van Lith is on a four day official visit to Louisville that started on the 12th of this month.

Sept 13, 2019

Reporting from Louisville
Jody Demling of the Cardinal Authority blogging that Baylor is the leader at this time for Hailey Van Lith. He feels that Louisville has "a chance".

Sure hope Kim can seal the deal with HVL and Sarah Andrews.

"Louisville says the NCAA has granted waivers to Georgia Tech transfers Elizabeth Balogun and Elizabeth Dixon, making two of the Atlantic Coast Conference's top freshmen last season immediately eligible to play for the Cardinals. Balogun and Dixon left Tech after the school fired coach MaChelle Joseph on March 26 following an independent investigation into alleged mistreatment of players and staff."

Sure wish the NCAA would be transparent and say exactly why some players get waivers and others do not. Frankly, my suspicion is that all a player has to do is claim that she was "mistreated" and bingo, with who knows what, if any, due process, she gets a waiver.

P.S. One wonders if Pat Summitt would have lasted even 5 years if she had to coach under today's standards of "mistreatment" --- just sayin'

Last edited:

VN Store

Back