Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Without her they are average and are losing big to Kentucky. Carter was the player they could not lose gonna cost them bigtime.

Notre Dame continues the downward spiral. From now until the end of time, every time my memory goes back to Tennessee's 2018-19 season with all its horrible losses and negative record-setting disappointments, all I'll have to do to snap out of it is think, "Well, it could have been worse. At least Tennessee didn't come within two points of winning the national championship one year then turn around the next year and not even come close to making the tournament.

Tennessee fans: "We feel so awful that our program fell so far so quickly."
Notre Dame fans: "Hold my beer."

Seriously, I feel really bad for ND and hope they get back on track next season.

www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notre-dame-throws-one-away-at-duke/article_de5cb282-7440-5470-b5b0-95f8f386bcf5.html

Last edited:
Notre Dame continues the downward spiral. From now until the end of time, every time my memory goes back to Tennessee's 2018-19 season with all it's horrible losses and negative record-setting disappointments, all I'll have to do to snap out of it is think, "Well, it could have been worse. At least Tennessee didn't come within two points of winning the national championship one year then turn around the next year and not even come close to making the tournament.

Seriously, I feel really bad for ND and hope they get back on track next season.

www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notre-dame-throws-one-away-at-duke/article_de5cb282-7440-5470-b5b0-95f8f386bcf5.html

Struggle is real. I think Niele Ivy was a much bigger part of their success than even Muffet would like to admit.

Notre Dame continues the downward spiral. From now until the end of time, every time my memory goes back to Tennessee's 2018-19 season with all it's horrible losses and negative record-setting disappointments, all I'll have to do to snap out of it is think, "Well, it could have been worse. At least Tennessee didn't come within two points of winning the national championship one year then turn around the next year and not even come close to making the tournament.

Makes you appreciate Coach K a little more,,we were headed that way

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Struggle is real. I think Niele Ivy was a much bigger part of their success than even Muffet would like to admit.

Also hear there will be 2-3 players in the transfer portal after the season ? looking at the roster that could happen, This team is loaded with Freshman and Sophomore and with the #3 ranked class coming 5 new players hmm !

Reactions: VolBall09
What a shame. That coach should be ashamed of herself.

I agree, that’s disgusting. Even if what she is saying is 100% true, it’s 100% wrong. Making personal attacks on a child is never OK. It’s one thing to make comments about her basketball skills. It’s totally different to make comments about her personal character, especially on a public forum.

Private Message or not, whatever you put on the internet is public. Like it or not.

I'm a little confused about the Reese story. It sounds like the opposing coach disapproved of Reese's on-court behavior and what the coach found to be an arrogant attitude (and maybe overly-aggressive as evidenced by Reese's three-game suspension for fighting during a scrimmage). Then the coach was upset that Reese was getting lots of attention in the media and fired off a private complaint to the website advising in her opinion that there were more deserving players who should be featured. The curator of the site chose to make the message public.

At best, the coach let her frustration get the better of her judgment, and she aired her gripes to a stranger even if her perceptions had a lot to back them up and were widely shared. At worst, she was just airing her sour grapes toward a talented athlete who had beaten her team rather than being concerned about other athletes being overlooked. Either way, it was ill-advised to unload upon Reese.

The mom didn't come off looking great, either. She brought uo "racial undertones" as possible motivation of the coach...yet said she would have no problem if the comments had come from other players or parents. So...not really so bad?

And the curator could have just responded privately to the coach and dressed her down instead of revealing the messages. She could have told the coach to knock it off unless she wanted future messages to be made public.

There's probably a mix of truth and accompanying blame to go around. Anyway, the coach is out of a job.

Reactions: gule and krichunaka
I'm a little confused about the Reese story. It sounds like the opposing coach disapproved of Reese's on-court behavior and what the coach found to be an arrogant attitude (and maybe overly-aggressive as evidenced by Reese's three-game suspension for fighting during a scrimmage). Then the coach was upset that Reese was getting lots of attention in the media and fired off a private complaint to the website advising in her opinion that there were more deserving players who should be featured. The curator of the site chose to make the message public.

At best, the coach let her frustration get the better of her judgment, and she aired her gripes to a stranger even if her perceptions had a lot to back them up and were widely shared. At worst, she was just airing her sour grapes toward a talented athlete who had beaten her team rather than being concerned about other athletes being overlooked. Either way, it was ill-advised to unload upon Reese.

The mom didn't come off looking great, either. She brought uo "racial undertones" as possible motivation of the coach...yet said she would have no problem if the comments had come from other players or parents. So...not really so bad?

And the curator could have just responded privately to the coach and dressed her down instead of revealing the messages. She could have told the coach to knock it off unless she wanted future messages to be made public.

There's probably a mix of truth and accompanying blame to go around. Anyway, the coach is out of a job.

fired off a private complaint
she aired her gripes to a stranger

A private complaint to a stranger?
Explain for me??

Reactions: LurkerExposed

I think mom was saying she would understand if it came from those other sources because those things are to be expected...coming from a coach, who should be held to a higher standard, not so much.

If I read the article correctly, she was contacting a website that had already produced two videos highlighting Reese. The stranger who saw the comments was the curator of the website's feedback. At least, I think that's what happened.

The coach was obviously irritated by Reese for whatever reason, and I don't think she ever indicated that her views had changed. Sounds like her apology was for griping to the website operators where she thought her comments would remain private. Unfortunately for her, the damage control didn't work.

I think mom was saying she would understand if it came from those other sources because those things are to be expected...coming from a coach, who should be held to a higher standard, not so much.

Thanks. I know she said as much, although it didn't register that she was saying that she was used to hearing heated comments and insults (in general, not necessarily toward daughter) from immature kids and crazy fans. Makes sense to any of us who have been in the stands. As a coach, I had to calm down overzealous parents more than once.

I think the coach thought her professional status would lend more credibility to her gripes (note that she cited her role as a coach) ...I.e., that the site would take her more seriously than some random fan (or envious or jealous parent).

I can remember several opposing players who were showboats, hot dogs, arrogant, taunting, whiny etc. There was one in particular whom my kids nicknamed "B.A." ("Bad Attitude").

Still, I only remember once when I talked to the opposing coach because his player seemed to be deliberately taunting my players late in a blowout game ( with his encouragement). My beef was with him more than the kid.

I still remember Pat furiously getting Shannon Bobbit over to the sideline and yelling "We don't do that!!!!"

Coaches ought to air their gripes with other coaches, IMO.

VN Store

Back