Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I am a casual VB fan. I get the Longhorn Network so I caught a couple of Texas' VB matches. Let me tell you, senior OH #1 Micaya White is the real deal. She is 6'1" and fills the stat sheet. Against Kansas last week she had 16 kills, 10 digs, and 4 aces. She has a monstrous serve that has ace written all over it. She really caught my attention the first match I watched. Coach doesn't sit her very long. So, if VB is your interest, I would recommend Texas to follow. Sorry to hijack thread.
Texas was upset by Louisville in Austin and are out. Here's the Final Four:

Last edited:
Mizzou is bad. I thought they’d have a down year but nothing like this.

I watched a lot of this game and yes they are not that good. But what made the difference in the game is these two stat lines. Starting guard Jordan Chavis 23mins 0 pts and as a team they were out rebounded on the offensive glass 15-7.

Missouri supposedly has a lot of talent with the number one player in Missouri, five star Frank and Amber Smith along with previous SC player Troup. All were rated quite highly but Jasmine Franklin of Missouri State is better player than any of them and JMO should be a number one draft choice in the WNBA she can flat out play in a facets of the game. She is only a sophomore as is point guard Manning who doesn't score much but is a fantastic distributor and defensive player. Calip who is a junior can really take it to the basket. I am sure the new coach there is delighted with what Harper left them. They drew over five thousand fans and the announcer says they've had crowds of over 6000 which is fabulous for a small school like Missouri State. Harper should've begged Franklin to transfer she would've been the difference maker for us to win the SEC.

Reactions: creekdipper
Another player who has improved is 6'4" junior center Emily Gartner. She worked really hard in the off-season and is in much better shape.

Against Mizzou, in 28 minutes she had 13 points and 11 rebounds (although had a terrible 1-5 FT performance, which is uncharacteristic for her).

Even more impressive were her 11 points and 8 boards against Oregon State in only 26 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan2012
Another player who has improved is 6'4" junior center Emily Gartner. She worked really hard in the off-season and is in much better shape.

Against Mizzou, in 28 minutes she had 13 points and 11 rebounds (although had a terrible 1-5 FT performance, which is uncharacteristic for her).

Even more impressive were her 8 points and 11 boards against Oregon State in only 26 minutes.
The girl is huge but had some really nice post moves. I hope Coach Kellie can recruit as well here as she did there I really like their team. They can play with anybody.

Yesterday was a tough pill to swallow with seeing my Cats lose after pretty much controlling majority of the game. It is exciting to see them back able to compete with top teams though so I was excited about that, it has been a while since I've seen a UK team look as good as they do this year (so far). Unfortunately, Mitchell is always one elite post away from really getting over that hump.

Reactions: mcannon1
Yesterday was a tough pill to swallow with seeing my Cats lose after pretty much controlling majority of the game. It is exciting to see them back able to compete with top teams though so I was excited about that, it has been a while since I've seen a UK team look as good as they do this year (so far). Unfortunately, Mitchell is always one elite post away from really getting over that hump.
What's up Jayqueuk. Does your team this year look as good or better than those teams that had Makayla Epps? Mitchell had some tough teams those years she was on the team & they gave South Carolina fits.

EP-181239953.jpg

Former UConn player Lexi Gordon

TRANSFER IN
Lexi Gordon

"Lady Raider junior Lexi Gordon made her first appearance in a Texas Tech uniform Sunday after transferring from UConn in the middle of last season. In her Tech debut, Gordon finished with 6 points & 4 rebounds."

- Texas Tech WBB website, 15 Dec 2019

Reactions: mcannon1
What's up Jayqueuk. Does your team this year look as good or better than those teams that had Makayla Epps? Mitchell had some tough teams those years she was on the team & they gave South Carolina fits.

Those teams are exactly what this team kind of reminds me of. The post play was better with those teams than this one, but the overall talent across the board is a little better with this team IMO. I always love the games against South Carolina, and I myself am a new resident of south carolina so it makes it a little more fun lol

Reactions: Ladyvol777
UConn is owning DePaul on the road at the half by 20+. If they have no injuries to the top 4 players they could win it all this year. They are so consistent on both ends of the floor. Of course a team with skill at the post position with depth can give them problems

Last edited:
UConn took the 2nd half off and DePaul came very close to making them pay for it. A 26 point lead at the half shrunk to 4 as DePaul kicked their a** in the 2nd half. They finally woke up with a couple of minutes left in the game to shut DePaul down and pull it out.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
Missouri supposedly has a lot of talent with the number one player in Missouri, five star Frank and Amber Smith along with previous SC player Troup. All were rated quite highly but Jasmine Franklin of Missouri State is better player than any of them and JMO should be a number one draft choice in the WNBA she can flat out play in a facets of the game. She is only a sophomore as is point guard Manning who doesn't score much but is a fantastic distributor and defensive player. Calip who is a junior can really take it to the basket. I am sure the new coach there is delighted with what Harper left them. They drew over five thousand fans and the announcer says they've had crowds of over 6000 which is fabulous for a small school like Missouri State. Harper should've begged Franklin to transfer she would've been the difference maker for us to win the SEC.
Blackwell in Mizzoui is going to be a superstar. She’s all that she’s been hyped up to be and then some. She’s going to be a good one. Plus next year they’ll add Williams from SC and Shug Dickson via Tulsa and Texas tech.. but this is going to be a long season.
Roundtree was a great hs player, hopefully she will get her mojo back and they’ll be decent this year.

You got Patterson coming in at point guard she will make a huge difference probably beat Louisville if she is eligible for that game.

Reactions: JayQueUK
So looking around, I noticed LSU plays Florida Gulf Coast on Thursday, and LSU is the visitor. How did that happen, I know FGCU has become a fairly decent mid major in the last decade, didn't think they could host a major team though.

VN Store

Back