Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Notre Dame assistant Niele Ivey has left the women’s basketball coaching staff to become an assistant coach with the Memphis Grizzlies. #stlmade

Notre Dame assistant Niele Ivey has left the women’s basketball coaching staff to become an assistant coach with the Memphis Grizzlies. #stlmade

My initial reaction is disappointment. Ivey is now the 9th female assistant coach for an NBA team. Young, gifted female coaches are leaving the women’s game for the NBA. Sure, it comes with more pay and prestige. But I’m not convinced this helps to grow women’s college basketball, which is my interest.

Integration comes at a cost. It often leaves the communities where they are plucked from worse off. I hope the women’s game doesn’t suffer, and I hope fans aren’t so hard on men who want to coach women seeing as how many women still see coaching men as superior.

I’ve read that Pat was asked to coach men and declined. Speaks to her commitment to the game. Wishing someone like her comes along again. I’ll be waiting.

My initial reaction is disappointment. Ivey is now the 9th female assistant coach for an NBA team. Young, gifted female coaches are leaving the women’s game for the NBA. Sure, it comes with more pay and prestige. But I’m not convinced this helps to grow women’s college basketball, which is my interest.

Would you have been willing to say to your family, "Well, I know we could have a far more comfortable future if I took this other job, but since I need to help grow my current company I need us all to be willing to give up the prospect of a more secure financial future for it. Okay, thanks."

I seriously doubt you would. It's so unfair to expect women to always make the sacrifices "to grow the game."

Would you have been willing to say to your family, "Well, I know we could have a far more comfortable future if I took this other job, but since I need to help grow my current company I need us all to be willing to give up the prospect of a more secure financial future for it. Okay, thanks."

I seriously doubt you would. It's so unfair to expect women to always make the sacrifices "to grow the game."

You don’t know me so please don’t make any ill-informed assumptions of what I would and would not do. Thanks much.

Reactions: Only1COJ
You don’t know me so please don’t make any ill-informed assumptions of what I would and would not do. Thanks much.

Yet, despite the fact that you don't know Niele Ivey, you presume to imply that she's being selfish for not being willing to toss aside a terrific career opportunity because that's "your interest." Ooooookay.

Last edited:
It's not about growth,,,the women's game has grown
It is about marketing
It is there that they are failing miserably

Reactions: BUBear
Yet, despite the fact that you don't know Niele Ivey, you presume to imply that she's being selfish for not being willing to toss aside a terrific career opportunity because that's "your interest." Ooooookay.

I never said she was selfish. If that’s your perception, that’s fine. I’m not responsible for what you assume. If I felt she was selfish, I would have posted that. In fact, I never said what she should have done, only that I was disappointed.

I never said she was selfish. If that’s your perception, that’s fine. I’m not responsible for what you assume. If I felt she was selfish, I would have posted that. In fact, I never said what she should have done, only that I was disappointed.

Peace

Integration comes at a cost. It often leaves the communities where they are plucked from worse off. I hope the women’s game doesn’t suffer, and I hope fans aren’t so hard on men who want to coach women seeing as how many women still see coaching men as superior.

I’ve read that Pat was asked to coach men and declined. Speaks to her commitment to the game. Wishing someone like her comes along again. I’ll be waiting.

NBA asst coach is so much higher on the career ladder than WCBB asst coach that it's not even a comparison. Coaches want to ultimately coach the best players, and those are found in the NBA.

As you stated, they need to stop making it into a "job for women" and making top-caliber men who are interested in growing the women's game feel like they are outsiders. Frankly speaking, there are more of them around and the game is doing a disservice to themselves if they want to be a "women's only" club.

NBA asst coach is so much higher on the career ladder than WCBB asst coach that it's not even a comparison. Coaches want to ultimately coach the best players, and those are found in the NBA.

As you stated, they need to stop making it into a "job for women" and making top-caliber men who are interested in growing the women's game feel like they are outsiders. Frankly speaking, there are more of them around and the game is doing a disservice to themselves if they want to be a "women's only" club.
I'll take crap for saying this, but most of them (Muffet aside) are charter members of that other "women's club." Outside of that I think most women's coaches don't have that problem.

I'll take crap for saying this, but most of them (Muffet aside) are charter members of that other "women's club." Outside of that I think most women's coaches don't have that problem.

Not sure I'm following you...are you saying that lesbian coaches don't have any hangups about male coaches and that's only a straight woman issue, or that Muffet's viewpoint in general is an anomaly? I have a hard believing in either scenario, because it seems the "played by women, coached by women" battle cry resonates well...if evidenced by the amount of "you go girl!"s that Muffet got on social media when she voiced her dumb opinion.

No. My impression is that the lesbian contingent of WCBB coaches are the ones that resent male coaches in "their" sport. I mentioned Muffet (supposedly straight) as an outlier, male coach hater .

When the rubber hits the road, it gets down to who can get the best out of the players they have.
Not about gender or gender preference when your on the floor.
I have had feminine and masculine women assistants,,,didn't let that factor in...,,

What did?

Can we coach together? (Chemestry),,
Do the kids respond to her?,,
Are we absolutely on-board and in the same vision for this team?,,
Is she respectful, strong, focused, smart, Patient yet driven?,,
Is she dependable?,,
Do we mesh on the court?
That's what matters

I have coached somewhere around 2000-2500 girls (Teams, clinics, camps, personally trained,,,etc)...
Consistently the best teams and experiences came with the best staff.

On one team in Atlanta I had 3 asst coaches,,,2 did not have kids in my group, one did....1-a girl from my prior year's Mom (Her daughter was going to college and she wanted to try the experience without a daughter on the court,,very lady-like //// 2 One of my player's Dad (I gave him the rule I give all parents,,,when you are on this court you may train anyone but your daughter (no 1 on 1 training...no different shouts "for her...she is a player, not a daughter, on the court) //// and 3 a young black girl 25, who wanted to learn how to coach...she was a guy in ever way but the biological way.

Didn't matter!
Helluva team,
great experience for all

That's what mattered.

Last edited:
As the Portal Turns

....starring every college athlete. Stay tuned....

Last edited:
I would be disappointed if she put anything above her or her families future. You seem to think these people have no problem accepting other positions and moving on in life. That would be the only reason you would be "disappointed"...because she didn't do what you thought she should ???? You are trying to spin your way out of what you said...not gonna work !
Wow....

I would be disappointed if she put anything above her or her families future. You seem to think these people have no problem accepting other positions and moving on in life. That would be the only reason you would be "disappointed"...because she didn't do what you thought she should ???? You are trying to spin your way out of what you said...not gonna work !
Wow....

I’m not trying to spin anything. My words are the same. I’m disappointed because I wanted her to stay in women’s college basketball. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?

I’m not trying to spin anything. My words are the same. I’m disappointed because I wanted her to stay in women’s college basketball. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?
I understand your feelings around this, as well as the other poster's. It's bittersweet for those of us who want to keep top talent in the women's game, but also amazing for top talent to get that caliber of opportunity.

It's not.....you are disappointed in someone who chose to do something you didn't want her to do, that could improve her finances and her life. I just can't understand why someone doing much better for themselves would disappoint you. If you had said.."I understand why she did it but the game will miss her", then OK. You made it look like she did something wrong by not adhering to your wishes (hence the disappointment). I guess if you don't get it...you never will. Not that big a deal....She will be fine no matter what either of us think...but I am always happy to see women take a step into a world they were once shut out of.

Reactions: 1reVOLver

VN Store

Back