Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Lady Bears defeat Texas for the first time since 2001 before a record home crowd of 7,357.

Yea, I hate to see that two of Texas’ big time players (or any player for that matter) had to be sat with what looked like injuries during the crucial 5th set.

What a great crowd on hand (although the Texas fans were making some noise in there).

Great win for Baylor. Looked like they were gonna return the favor on getting swept by Texas but Texas fought back to make it a barn burner. I don’t know how they’ll determine the champion if they end up in a tie. I guess some conferences did away with their volleyball tournaments so I don’t know if the Big XII was one of them?

Last edited:
Oh no...I hope our Horston doesn't get into anymore trouble. This is the kind of thing that could get a kid kicked off the team. Also interesting to find out that's the reason she sat out one of the European Tour games.
Jordan is a great kid who made a mistake. All part of growing up. I think she’ll be fine. We need to support her as she is one of our own

Oh no...I hope our Horston doesn't get into anymore trouble. This is the kind of thing that could get a kid kicked off the team. Also interesting to find out that's the reason she sat out one of the European Tour games.

Remember Pat, Duke student section, and the Walmart bags? Don’t remember the student (yes, I actually do and PLEASE don’t help me by posting her name here), but I certainly remember how totally classless the Duke students were (and doing this is relatively common among teenagers, not right, but their brains don’t always “function”). Pat was beyond furious. She threatened to never play Duke again, very bad look for Duke as a university. I believe they apologized and promised something like that would never be allowed to continue (condoned) again on the university grounds. Someone who is positive of the facts, correct me if I’m wrong on any of this. Bottom line......there is a good chance every team in the nation has a kid who has done this, most aren’t caught (only do it one time usually), and the ones who are caught it is sort of “buried”...no reason to mess a kid up when usually there is no way they will repeat it, especially after being caught! There’s a big difference between one occasion of stupidity and a continuous pattern of behavior. Jmo GBO!

And

A student athlete answers to the university, and she has. A tv station publishing her name and picture, unless they do that to EVERY kid in the same situation (their sons and daughters especially) , is just WRONG.

And

OK, people. I just called wate “news on your side“ and left a message about a concern. A local tv station has reported and posted a picture of a young person (maybe 18 year old) over a shoplifting incident. This has already been handled, and if the person has no more issues for 11 months and 29 days, it is to be expunged. How can it truly be “expunged “ when her name and face are being plastered all over by a tv station? Shoplifting happens among teen agers (usually a one time thing), so why hold one particular teen ager up to public humiliation and not all? This is not news. This is disgusting! I think Don Dare should do a report abut this tv station and requested that be done. I wish people would inundate the station’s call line and hold them to task. Maybe they should research, find all the children of wate employees who have done this - and been caught, and print those stories AND THE PICTURES of the kids. I think it is the picture that really lit me...that was so unnecessary.

tv phone number: 865-637-6666 I think ext. 5 for concerns

Flame away if you are a hater. I’m not changing my opinion.

OR, BETTER YET, MODS JUST DELETE ALL POSTS REFERRING TO THIS TOPIC.

BU Bear, last year I really liked Moon Ursin coming off the bench. Is she still a spark off that bench for Baylor? Kinda reminds me of Rae Burrell of the Lady Vols.
Yes. It looks like she will play the same roll this season. She's a bundle of energy and one of Mulkey's favorites (both are Louisiana girls).

Reactions: Will83
Yea, I hate to see that two of Texas’ big time players (or any player for that matter) had to be sat with what looked like injuries during the crucial 5th set.

What a great crowd on hand (although the Texas fans were making some noise in there).

Great win for Baylor. Looked like they were gonna return the favor on getting swept by Texas but Texas fought back to make it a barn burner. I don’t know how they’ll determine the champion if they end up in a tie. I guess some conferences did away with their volleyball tournaments so I don’t know if the Big XII was one of them?
When Texas defeated Baylor they flipped positions in the national standings (#1 & #3). I kinda expect that to happen again when the new rankings come out. If both teams are tied at the end of the season I guess the highest ranked team will be declared the champions???

Once the new basketball arena opens the Ferrell Center will be retooled for Volleyball, Acrobatics & Tumbling plus graduation. Baylor is the five (or six???) time defending national championship in A&T.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
East Tennessee State WBB junior guard Erica Haynes-Overton is out indefinitely—possibly for the season—with a knee injury. She was averaging 22.8 PPG and had scored 41 points against Tennessee.
Minus Haynes-Overton, ETSU women fall to Radford

Man that’s a bummer. I was looking forward to keeping track of her this season. They are in for a long season without her it seems.

If anyone from UT is reading this, please consider reaching out to University of Indiana to start a series with them. I believe they would be an excellent addition.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
If anyone from UT is reading this, please consider reaching out to University of Indiana to start a series with them. I believe they would be an excellent addition.

I would even like to play Mo St or Drake... that would be a great home and home series

Reactions: lvocd
I would even like to play Mo St or Drake... that would be a great home and home series

OMG, yes! Either, or both, would have been fantastic on this season’s schedule instead of Central Arkansas, Tennessee State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Air Force or Howard.

Now, I do understand that sometimes games are scheduled for strategic reasons and/or for player “homecoming” games. But we’ve had a few had too many cupcakes recently, and I would love to see Missouri State and Drake and Indiana in the future.

I’d like to keep playing East Tennessee State, though, for SURE. They are well-coached, and by evidence of their sold-out arena of rabid fans, that game is GREAT for the region. I loved that our players were tested in that terrific environment.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
OMG, yes! Either, or both, would have been fantastic on this season’s schedule instead of Central Arkansas, Tennessee State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Air Force or Howard.

Now, I do understand that sometimes games are scheduled for strategic reasons and/or for player “homecoming” games. But we’ve had a few had too many cupcakes recently, and I would love to see Missouri State and Drake and Indiana in the future.

I’d like to keep playing East Tennessee State, though, for SURE. They are well-coached, and by evidence of their sold-out arena of rabid fans, that game is GREAT for the region. I loved that our players were tested in that terrific environment.

Yes and I meant those teams W/ Indiana. A Notre Dame and IU swing would be cool!

Reactions: lvocd
68-67 Miami its over awful awful coaching job down the stretch why why try keep forcing the ball inside North Carolina A&T coach gave this game away

South Carolina won 112-32 against Upstate. These ranked teams are scoring and winning by huge margins.

So why this story just now coming out four months after it happened. Strange that it didn't come out when it happened. Regardless hope she has learned a lesson and understands that theft is unacceptable no matter who you are

Reactions: JustaChicken
Aston is in danger of losing her job. Don't think Jody can protect her any longer.

Texas has a history of firing coaches that can't beat "Scrubby Little Baylor"... although they did let Darrel Royal retire on his own terms (national championship earns you that respect).
Aston is a horrible coach. They have consistently under performed year after year under her.

A student athlete answers to the university, and she has. A tv station publishing her name and picture, unless they do that to EVERY kid in the same situation (their sons and daughters especially) , is just WRONG.
Agree totally, and that was the first thing I thought when I saw the story.

BTW, it is Indiana University (IU, not U of I). The LVs used to play Purdue a lot --- don't know which side stopped that.

Reactions: VolBall09

VN Store

Back