Non Football - But Vols Tennis just won the SEC Title...

Great, great win by the Vols knocking off #1 nationally ranked UF-- one of the best college tennis matches I've ever seen. It was high drama-- an apparent UT win and a victory pileup celebration, only to be negated by a bad call and overrule by a cheating Florida player and crooked Ump, then a monster 3-set win at #3 singles to clinch the match 4-3. Great, great win, kudos to Coach Woodruff for keeping his cool in all the chaos. Worth a watch if it's replayed on the SECNetwork this weekend.

Recap:
We won the doubles point, and jumped out to a quick 3-0 after straight set wins by #2-Monday (Freshman OTY) and #5-Hussey. Then Florida got a point after #1-Waldon lost. So with UT up 3-1 we needed one more point with a win at #6, #4, or #3.

At #6 Harper lost a tough 3-setter to a UF guy that's undefeated all year. At this point I thought our best chance was with #4-Wiedeman, who had only lost two matches all year, but he was playing a Florida guy that hadn't lost a match all year either. With Weideman leading in the 3rd set TB, 5-2, thought we had it in the bag, and this is where things got bizzare-- Wiedeman serving for his match at 6-4, Florida guy nets it, and Tenn thinking it's won, does a huge victory pileup-- but hold the phone-- the damn Florida player called the ball out, which was clearly in, and the crooked ref agreed-- so Tenn has not won and the next point Wiedeman correctly calls a serve out, AGAIN the chair-ump overrules him, awarding the point and a penalty-point to Florida-- game set match.

So with the team score 3-3, it comes down to court #3, Prata is at 5-5, 3rd set, holds serve, then guts out a break, and wins the match 7-5, and UT is SEC Champs!

A great win, almost stolen by a cheating Gator and that chair-Ump, who screwed Weideman out of a victory, and almost screwed Tenn out of a SEC-C. Credit to our coach-- Woodruff-- who kept his cool, and importantly kept Prata calm to be able to go on and win at #3, after our earlier "victory celebration". Really gut wrenching stuff to see something almost taken away like that by a crooked chair Ump.

It's definitely worth a re-watch if it's replayed on the SEC-N.

Last edited:
That was a great win for Tennessee. I'm a big tennis fan and player, and that was one of the best college matches I've ever seen. We won the doubles point, and jumped out to a quick 3-0 after straight set wins by #2-Monday (Freshman OTY) and #5-Hussey. Then Florida got a point after #1-Prata lost. So with UT up 3-1 we needed one more point with a win at #6, #4, or #3.

At #6 Harper lost a tough 3-setter to a UF guy that's undefeated all year. At this point I thought our best chance was with #4-Wiedeman, who had only lost two matches all year, but he was playing a Florida guy that hadn't lost a match all year either. With Weideman leading in the 3rd set TB, 5-2, thought we had it in the bag, and this is where things got bizzare-- Wiedeman serving for his match at 6-4, Florida guy nets it, and Tenn thinking it's won, does a huge victory pileup-- but hold the phone-- the damn Florida player called the ball out, which was clearly in, and the crooked ref agreed-- so Tenn has not won and the next point Wiedeman correctly calls a serve out, AGAIN the chair-ump overrules him, awarding the point and a penalty-point to Florida-- game set match.

So with the team score 3-3, it comes down to court #3, Prata is at 5-5, 3rd set, holds serve, then guts out a break, and wins the match 7-5, and UT is SEC Champs!

A great win, almost stolen by a cheating Gator and that chair-Ump, who screwed Weideman out of a victory, and almost screwed Tenn out of a SEC-C. Credit to our coach-- Woodruff-- who kept his cool, and importantly kept Prata calm to be able to go on and win at #3, after our earlier "victory celebration". Really gut wrenching stuff to see something almost taken away like that by a crooked chair Ump.

In that 1st paragraph, I think it should say that #1 Walton lost instead of Prata.

Reactions: Volle
That was a great win for Tennessee. I'm a big tennis fan and player, and that was one of the best college matches I've ever seen. We won the doubles point, and jumped out to a quick 3-0 after straight set wins by #2-Monday (Freshman OTY) and #5-Hussey. Then Florida got a point after #1-Prata lost. So with UT up 3-1 we needed one more point with a win at #6, #4, or #3.

Big tennis fan here also. Congratulations to the team and thanks for the detailed report.

I was watching too, really was a great match. That penalty point assessed on Luca was bizarre. The guys call their own lines but have an umpire to supervise. If you get overruled three times by the chair it’s an automatic penalty. What a way to lose!

VN Store

Back