Noise Record Set

The old record said 114 dB sustained (not peak) but I don't remember the duration. Was the 118 dB sustained or peak?

I remember seeing 116 dB but not 118; either way, those were peak and not sustained. Want to say we averaged about 106.
I have a db meter on my Apple Watch and picked out some 3rd down plays to measure from the upper deck. It was around 106 most of the time

Reactions: b_gann
I remember seeing 116 dB but not 118; either way, those were peak and not sustained. Want to say we averaged about 106.
I found the one that I was referencing.

On 9.29.14 vs. New England, Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City achieved the Guinness World Record for loudest crowd noise at 142.2 dbA. On 9.12.15 vs. Oklahoma, Jeff Jarnigan announced that Neyland Stadium had set a new high score for noise at 114 dbA.

The difference is, reports state that it's uncertain when the record was set at Neyland. Neyland was a sustained noise. Arrowhead had callouts on their jumbotron exhorting folks to make noise to set the record.

Checker Neyland. 102,455 in the stands (Arrowhead is 76,416 for the record). The return of Lane. 7:30 kickoff. My loud, proud, rowdy hell-raising Big Orange brethren and sisteren in the stands after a day of tailgating and consumption of adult beverages.

We've already given "a dissertation on the effect that crowd noise can have on a game", let's go big and get ourselves another Guiness World Record (we should be in there for largest attendance at a college football game for the Battle at Bristol), and not only beat Ole Miss, but beat the Chiefs as well. I think we can do better than 142.2 decibels, y'all.

(*waiting for someone that understands acoustics far better than I do to explain why it can't/won't happen......)

Additionally:
  1. Arrowhead Stadium (Chiefs): 142.2
  2. CenturyLink Field (Seahawks): 137.6
  3. Husky Stadium (Washington): 133.6
  4. Memorial Stadium (Clemson): 132.8
  5. Tiger Stadium (LSU): 130
  6. Autzen Stadium (Oregon): 127
  7. Mercedes-Benz Superdome (Saints): 122.6
  8. Beaver Stadium (Penn State): 122
  9. Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (Florida): 115
  10. Michigan Stadium (Michigan): 110

10 Loudest Stadiums in College Football

Reactions: DeusExMachina
They didn't use noise meters in 1998 but the Tennessee Florida game that year is still the loudest game in Neyland Stadium history.......which also means in the world since 'Neyland Stadium is the biggest and oldest stadium in the world"......3YL
And part of that noise Spurrier crying.

They didn't use noise meters in 1998 but the Tennessee Florida game that year is still the loudest game in Neyland Stadium history.......which also means in the world since 'Neyland Stadium is the biggest and oldest stadium in the world"......3YL

Neyland is not the oldest or biggest in the world. The oldest continuously operating stadium is the Melbourne Cricket Ground (1854). It's record attendance was a little over 121,000. It was the primary stadium for the 1956 Olympics. Today, it is usually used for Australian Rules Football, which ESPN ran back in 1980's. Aussie Football is much more physical, wilder, dangerous and entertaining to watch than American football. A lot of above the shoulders action. It was an after midnight sports bar favorite when ESPN lacked enough American programming In its early days. They should bring it back rather than recycling 2 year old college football games. Rugby and soccer are also played at the MCG.

At least according to this tweet that Vols Football Recruiting retweeted. I think it was reported as 114db vs Oklahoma prior to this week. It felt louder to me vs Florida in 1998 but I sat in Section T row 10 then and the club level now.

Were people actually yelling in the club level? Or was it more sitting and golf clapping. I was in Y and it was apocalyptic

Reactions: LordBolton
Were people actually yelling in the club level? Or was it more sitting and golf clapping. I was in Y and it was apocalyptic

I was yelling and so were others in my group. Many choose not to do so. It was the same in section T. I'm no spring chicken these days but when I sat in T for games the average age around me was probably 70 and I was much younger and much louder than most in my area.

On 9.29.14 vs. New England, Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City achieved the Guinness World Record for loudest crowd noise at 142.2 dbA. On 9.12.15 vs. Oklahoma, Jeff Jarnigan announced that Neyland Stadium had set a new high score for noise at 114 dbA.

The difference is, reports state that it's uncertain when the record was set at Neyland. Neyland was a sustained noise. Arrowhead had callouts on their jumbotron exhorting folks to make noise to set the record.

Checker Neyland. 102,455 in the stands (Arrowhead is 76,416 for the record). The return of Lane. 7:30 kickoff. My loud, proud, rowdy hell-raising Big Orange brethren and sisteren in the stands after a day of tailgating and consumption of adult beverages.

We've already given "a dissertation on the effect that crowd noise can have on a game", let's go big and get ourselves another Guiness World Record (we should be in there for largest attendance at a college football game for the Battle at Bristol), and not only beat Ole Miss, but beat the Chiefs as well. I think we can do better than 142.2 decibels, y'all.

(*waiting for someone that understands acoustics far better than I do to explain why it can't/won't happen......)

Additionally:

Sorry. I am not buying any un-augmented level that high (Arrowhead). If they were piping in sound like the PAC 12 teams do, then yeah, but just people made noise? nah.

I'm looking at you Oregon.

I was yelling and so were others in my group. Many choose not to do so. It was the same in section T. I'm no spring chicken these days but when I sat in T for games the average age around me was probably 70 and I was much younger and much louder than most in my area.
Credit to you for doing your part. I understand if some people are too old to yell all game. But it’s inexcusable in my opinion for younger fans to sit and do nothing. I wish more people had your approach

It's a fun topic but all of these measurements are relative to the placements of the decibal meters. At close range I have actually measured 130 decibals with my voice alone. So, all of this is relevant to placement and the measured sustainability of crowd noise. The most accurate place to measure noise in a football stadium is midfield at the 50 yard line but no one can do that. I highly doubt stadiums are suspening decibal meters.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Sustained loudest if not outright loudest had to be against UF '98. Loudest single burst I have heard was Travis Stephens TD vs. UGA at the end of the game in '01. For 20 seconds, the world stopped. Runner-ups were against UF in '04 and then Oklahoma. The '95 Jeff Hall game-winner against UGA was loud AF as well, and that was when the North end was open.

I see a government noise mandate coming....

Additionally:

Hey, I recognize that post!!! You're welcome!!!

Reactions: Halph66
Neyland is not the oldest or biggest in the world. The oldest continuously operating stadium is the Melbourne Cricket Ground (1854). It's record attendance was a little over 121,000. It was the primary stadium for the 1956 Olympics. Today, it is usually used for Australian Rules Football, which ESPN ran back in 1980's. Aussie Football is much more physical, wilder, dangerous and entertaining to watch than American football. A lot of above the shoulders action. It was an after midnight sports bar favorite when ESPN lacked enough American programming In its early days. They should bring it back rather than recycling 2 year old college football games. Rugby and soccer are also played at the MCG.

Little slow on the uptake - I think he was being funny.

Is anyone here old enough to remember when the SEC or NCAA had rules against too much crowd noise at games? I distinctly remember Alabama and Bear Bryant demanding action when Neyland got too loud. It was a penalty of some sort if the noise level was too high, iirc.

VN Store

Back