Noise Record Set

Neyland is not the oldest or biggest in the world. The oldest continuously operating stadium is the Melbourne Cricket Ground (1854). It's record attendance was a little over 121,000. It was the primary stadium for the 1956 Olympics. Today, it is usually used for Australian Rules Football, which ESPN ran back in 1980's. Aussie Football is much more physical, wilder, dangerous and entertaining to watch than American football. A lot of above the shoulders action. It was an after midnight sports bar favorite when ESPN lacked enough American programming In its early days. They should bring it back rather than recycling 2 year old college football games. Rugby and soccer are also played at the MCG.

Well, for one, how many SEC Championships does Melbourne Cricket have. I'll help you out here, none!

Two, I'll bet you are behind on the very high interest rate you received on the loan for your waterbed!!

Sustained loudest if not outright loudest had to be against UF '98. Loudest single burst I have heard was Travis Stephens TD vs. UGA at the end of the game in '01. For 20 seconds, the world stopped. Runner-ups were against UF in '04 and then Oklahoma. The '95 Jeff Hall game-winner against UGA was loud AF as well, and that was when the North end was open.
I agree and then sadly after that ridiculous squib and David Greenes TD pass it was the most deadly silent that I can ever recall inside Neyland stadium .

Reactions: Offset Eye
Is anyone here old enough to remember when the SEC or NCAA had rules against too much crowd noise at games? I distinctly remember Alabama and Bear Bryant demanding action when Neyland got too loud. It was a penalty of some sort if the noise level was too high, iirc.

I was a student here in 66-67 and again in 74-78 and attended all home games. I remember Coaches and QB would complain and the officials would stop the game and ask for noise level to be reduced. If it continued they would threaten to penalize and have the coaches ask fans to quiet down. I don't remember actually being penalized though. The stadium was not as large though. It was enlarged to 65K in late 60's. But it also used to hold 108K before they took out seats to add sky boxes. It was louder then than now.

Well, for one, how many SEC Championships does Melbourne Cricket have. I'll help you out here, none!

Two, I'll bet you are behind on the very high interest rate you received on the loan for your waterbed!!
Melbourne ain’t played nobody Pawl

The loudest moment I remember is when they played “3rd down for what?” In the 4th quarter … Naturally Corrall scampered for a first.
Still pisses me off. We needed to keep an extra lb in the middle, instead we put them on the line. Up the middle was an easy run and we never tried to adjust

It's a fun topic but all of these measurements are relative to the placements of the decibal meters. At close range I have actually measured 130 decibals with my voice alone. So, all of this is relevant to placement and the measured sustainability of crowd noise. The most accurate place to measure noise in a football stadium is midfield at the 50 yard line but no one can do that. I highly doubt stadiums are suspening decibal meters.
Spot on.

It is like the placement of the radar gun for pitchers to find who has the fastest pitch. There is a really good documentary 'Fastball' about that subject. It illustrated perfectly just how the media and the public for that matter has to be the best/fastest/loudest/etc etc etc and the lengths they will go to to do it. Frankly, it's stupid. As a friend of mine once said, setting world records is more a function of really good Swiss timing than actually being significantly faster than the previous record.

Reactions: lukeneyland
Still pisses me off. We needed to keep an extra lb in the middle, instead we put them on the line. Up the middle was an easy run and we never tried to adjust
We were protecting against the deep hall. When you commit yourself to spying on the QB you condemn yourself to another one on one match up somewhere else. Defense did it’s job and so did Neyland, we really made it difficult for Ole Miss to audible out of some runs in the “check with me system” that is pretty widely used

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Neyland is not the oldest or biggest in the world. The oldest continuously operating stadium is the Melbourne Cricket Ground (1854). It's record attendance was a little over 121,000. It was the primary stadium for the 1956 Olympics. Today, it is usually used for Australian Rules Football, which ESPN ran back in 1980's. Aussie Football is much more physical, wilder, dangerous and entertaining to watch than American football. A lot of above the shoulders action. It was an after midnight sports bar favorite when ESPN lacked enough American programming In its early days. They should bring it back rather than recycling 2 year old college football games. Rugby and soccer are also played at the MCG.
Oh Hell naw. Sorry, but Ditka was right. You want to stop all the head injuries, remove the helmets.

I was a student here in 66-67 and again in 74-78 and attended all home games. I remember Coaches and QB would complain and the officials would stop the game and ask for noise level to be reduced. If it continued they would threaten to penalize and have the coaches ask fans to quiet down. I don't remember actually being penalized though. The stadium was not as large though. It was enlarged to 65K in late 60's. But it also used to hold 108K before they took out seats to add sky boxes. It was louder then than now.

Yes, like this. I distinctly remember Bryant threatening and maybe even stopping a game once or twice. Just glad I'm not going crazy imagining this.

Does anyone else on here follow 3 Year Letterman on twitter. If not, you need to be doing so.

The loudest moments were either the first “3rd down for what” (they did it again later), or the interception. It had to be one of those where the record was broken.

Having said that, Oklahoma had more sustained noise throughout the game.

They didn't use noise meters in 1998 but the Tennessee Florida game that year is still the loudest game in Neyland Stadium history.......which also means in the world since 'Neyland Stadium is the biggest and oldest stadium in the world"......3YL
I was there and it was loud! Also the 90 Notre Dame game was loud.

Reactions: beachvol23
I was there and it was loud! Also the 90 Notre Dame game was loud.
VERY! All those games in 90 were very loud! I’d like to know where the readings are taken from! They should take them as sustained and peak from endzones and sidelines, and even up in stands at different points. It has been so loud at various times you couldn’t hear next to you! I don’t believe 118dB is tops AT ALL, especially seeing some of the other place’s peak readings, which we know some are manipulated.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJVol95
VERY! All those games in 90 were very loud! I’d like to know where the readings are taken from! The should take them as sustained and peak from endzones and sidelines, and even up in stands at different points. It has been so loud I there at various times you couldn’t hear next to you! I don’t believe 118dB is tops AT ALL, especially seeing some of the other place’s peak readings, which we know some are manipulated.

Neyland is so open getting 118db there is impressive. Those other stadiums have architectural designs that direct sound down to the field. They were also in many cases, done through a coordinated effort to specifically set sound records and weren't a by product of on field excitement like ours.

Neyland is so open getting 118db there is impressive. Those other stadiums have architectural designs that direct sound down to the field. They were also in many cases, done through a coordinated effort to specifically set sound records and weren't a by product of on field excitement like ours.
NEYLAND is more closed in than LSU OR UF but not necessarily louder or less, but the sound is different. Three of the stadiums on the “list” do have some design advantages however they also amplified a lot! Again my point of where and when a reading is taken is most important! Based on all the events, concerts, stadiums etc I’ve ever been to, I do not believe NEYLAND hasn’t cracked 130 multiple times.

NEYLAND is more closed in than LSU OR UF but not necessarily louder or less, but the sound is different. Three of the stadiums on the “list” do have some design advantages however they also amplified a lot! Again my point of where and when a reading is taken is most important! Based on all the events, concerts, stadiums etc I’ve ever been to, I do not believe NEYLAND hasn’t cracked 130 multiple times.

Florida's stadium has architectural advantages. The concrete wall there is a big advantage and the stadium is also underground from row 32 to field level.
LSU and Auburn peaked at 117 at LSU with physicists taking the readings. I assume they knew where to stand for it to be a correct reading. The really high readings at pro stadiums were a result of a pre-planned effort to set a record and those places have architecture that allows that level of noise.

Not sure when Florida got to 122, reading an article it was 110 unofficially and Jeremy Foley was quoted as saying that he knew of no one had taken any official readings.

Reactions: beachvol23

VN Store

Back