No passing offense was more aggressive than Tennessee

Sorry, but I question any metric that has KY 2nd in a passing offensive statistic since they literally didn’t throw the ball more than 5 times a game and had a WR playing QB.
It's pretty simple math, really not that difficult to figure out how or why the numbers are what they are.

Reactions: Devo182
Interesting.

When you see the company Tennessee is keeping you have to ask what they have in common. These aren’t wide open offensive machines. They are only passing out of desperation and hence longer passes, but not a great volume. You see a lot of losses with Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech & Kentucky. These passing offenses were not aggressive, they were just way behind the chains.

i mean u are throwing to Jennings and Callaway who are big Wr's. The best place to get them the ball would be down field. The real question is whats the completion % on those throws.

Reactions: GoBears
I’m confused 😂 I messed up a quote reply earlier in this thread and may have confused you as well. I don’t remember saying that and I’m not sure what it was a response to, but I’m not a JG advocate. I think he’s holding us back from competing for championships but he’s been our best option so far. JMO
Edit: ohhh I said something about the USCe game. I see where you’re coming from
Yep. You got it. I recognized you weren't advocating for JG.

Reactions: GoBears
A lot of wasted Maurer possessions in there. Not to mention red zone penalties plus stuffed run plays on third and fourth and short.

Go ahead with your rant though.
You are a fundamentally dishonest person. JG wasn't effective... regardless of what Maurer did or did not do.

Wasted possessions? Don't you routinely lecture people about doubting Pruitt's judgment in playing JG? If they were "wasted" it was only because Pruitt considered JG ineffective and had to try someone else.

No rants. Just truth... but cultists often go crazy when confronted with the truth. That's you if you haven't figured it out.

i mean u are throwing to Jennings and Callaway who are big Wr's. The best place to get them the ball would be down field. The real question is whats the completion % on those throws.
That stat is out there, JG was ranked in the SEC either 2nd or 4th in accuracy % on those type throws and top 5 in completion pct on the long throws. It's actually one of his more impressive stats as compared to where all else he struggles.

Reactions: k-town_king
What is there to really question? It’s a ranking based on a percentage.
Come on, man. Do you really believe that we were the most aggressive passing attack in the country along with such passing juggernauts as ***squints*** Kentucky and Georgia Tech? My god this is a stupid debate.

Total yards isn’t how anyone would define “best offense”. These are the numbers that matter. Total yards (the number you’re quoting) is skewed by the pace the team plays with (favoring Malzhan style teams)

36th in yards per pass attempt

63rd in yards per play (up almost half a yard from last season)

80th in yards per rush.

Also our defense was 27th in yards per play.

Both sides are the ball were highly improved.
Flvol is about as ignorant as they come. Don't expect him to accept anything beyond 1960s box stats. He still follows total passing yards and ToP as stats 🤣😂

Sorry, but I question any metric that has KY 2nd in a passing offensive statistic since they literally didn’t throw the ball more than 5 times a game and had a WR playing QB.
Seems you may lack basic understanding. Try reading the graphic...one...more...time.
Do it word for word, slowly this time.

Last edited:
Damn. Not exactly the teams I’d have expected to see at the top of that list. I’d have thought LSU, Clemson, and bama in that order. I guess they didn’t have as many attempts. Just a lot of successfully executed explosive plays
Read the graphic...nothing to do with success...it is TARGETS and ROUTES.

Fwiw Bama (Tua especially) threw very short routes. Tua was last in the league last year in yards-in-air%. He would basically throw 7 yard RPOs for 40 yard TDs via his 4.3 receivers lol.

Seems you may lack basic understanding. Try reading the graphic...one...more...time.
Do it word for word, slowly this time.
Yup. UT, along with Kentucky and Georgia Tech, are the most aggressive passing attacks in the country. Totally legit.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Come on, man. Do you really believe that we were the most aggressive passing attack in the country along with such passing juggernauts as ***squints*** Kentucky and Georgia Tech? My god this is a stupid debate.
All this stat says is that when we drop back to pass, we tend to throw it down the field. I don’t take much from it as far as aggressiveness because there’s no way to show when the throws really happen.

Just tells me that a lot of our routes were vertical vs the West Coast stuff we ran under Butch. And Chaney was trying to get our QBs to make use of big WRs.

Last edited:

Aggressive meaning: “throws the ball deep”

Yes, we were. UK and GT are aggressive because of the fact that they run the ball so much. You run it ten times, get the safeties up, and throw the ball deep.

So a higher percent of their passes are deep passes than Alabama for example who lived off slants and screens (most spread offenses do).

You seem to be assuming aggressive implies our passing game was in some way better than others. No one is saying that.

Last edited:
Id say a higher percentage were in the last half of the season than the first. I was complaining why they didnt throw deep more often early in the season vs some of the other teams. If I remember correctly, the big play to Calloway vs Ga was one of the first deep balls they threw all year.

VN Store

Back