No passing offense was more aggressive than Tennessee

Well we better get better at that 10-25 yard pass play. We won’t have the luxury of Calloway and Jennings going up for those 50/50 balls.

Reactions: Vol8188
I think a lot of that aggressiveness stems from the fact that we had a terrible run game. Therefore, we had to rely on explosive plays and passes to get anywhere.

Hopefully that improves this year with our 5 star O line.

Reactions: RollerVol
Very few of JGs deeper balls led his receiver, from my perspective. Most required the receiver to pull up, and then win a jump ball 50-50 battle. Did this happen with every deep ball? No. But it happened often enough that I recall being pleasantly surprised when Mauer hit Callaway in the UGA game with his first pass. It was a TD? Sure. But what I loved almost more than that was that IT HIT HIM IN FREAKIN' STRIDE. There was no pull up, reposition, stand like you're waiting on a fair catch, then jump and fight for the ball as was the case with many, many JG passes.

You can throw analytics around all day long. But at the end of the day, JG is simply not a top tier QB that is going to get us to 10 wins. he has a ceiling of 8 wins, I believe, and about 24-27 points a game. That's who he is.

As I have said ad naseum, JG seems like a good kid, and I am proud he represents Tennessee well from a heart and character standpoint. But, in the end, he just doesn't have the innate ability needed for an SEC QB. I don't care how many stats get tossed around.
No, it pretty much happened on every deep ball.

Interesting.

Damn. Not exactly the teams I’d have expected to see at the top of that list. I’d have thought LSU, Clemson, and bama in that order. I guess they didn’t have as many attempts. Just a lot of successfully executed explosive plays

Big Tuna/Bill Parcells always said. "You are who your numbers say you are."

Reactions: tbh
“We never throw the ball deep!”-VN 2018

2019-leads nation % of deep shots taken

VN-“KY was second so it doesn’t count”

Smh
Shake your head all you want, but the measurement used is clearly fatally flawed when a team who DOESN'T THRIW THE FOOTBALL is in 2nd place. Don’t be thick.

For this stat to be as meaningful as some imply, UT would have had to have scored lots and lots of points. They didn't.

In fact, JG STILL hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points against any FBS opponent in his career. UT averaged only 24 ppg this year.

The problem was twofold. As some have mentioned, JG still fails to properly lead/anticipate deep throws. Completions that should be TD's are not. That is further complicated by his ineffectiveness in the red zone.

Here is the SEC ratios for FG's as a % of total scores:
In fact, JG STILL hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points against any FBS opponent in his career.
I understand why JG receives criticism, as I’m often times the one to dish it out, but does the SC game not count? Regardless, your point is still valid.

FWIW, I view JG as a game manager who struggles to manage the game well at times. But he doesn’t turn it over a ton and as a result we are usually a few big plays away from beating good teams. Just ready for a QB to make those big plays.

Shake your head all you want, but the measurement used is clearly fatally flawed when a team who DOESN'T THRIW THE FOOTBALL is in 2nd place. Don’t be thick.
It’s a percentage. Not complicated. Easy to understand why an extremely run heavy team should be ignored when looking at this list.

Out of curiosity, though, I looked up their numbers for 2019.

257 pass attempts and 573 rushes.

By comparison, Tennessee threw 360 passes and ran it 461 times.
Must have thrown a bunch before Bowden took over. He threw 3 or 4 a game completing half if that.

That doesn’t make it flawed at all. Most run heavy teams throw deep when they do throw. Most pass heavy teams throw a lot of short crossing routes and screens. We had a very aggressive passing game. The most aggressive in the nation

Would like to see that broken down by game. I'd bet our UGA, UF, Bama, BYU games were alot more "aggressive", when we're behind two touchdowns, and trying to score quick. We barely threw it at all against MSt, rightfully so, and threw alot of deep balls vs USC, because we had an advantage.
Sounds alot like a good O coordinator playing to his strength and attempting to manipulate the defensive schemes. Working with his best tools. Not intended to call anyone a Tool.

UT scoring behind JG.
If you want to give him credit for that one I won't throw stones... but without Callaway's punt return TD or Bituli's blocked punt TD... that's a tight game and UT doesn't reach 30 points. I qualify that statement by saying that JG hasn't led a UT "O" to more than 30 points vs an FBS opponent. To my knowledge, he never has.

That doesn’t make it flawed at all. Most run heavy teams throw deep when they do throw. Most pass heavy teams throw a lot of short crossing routes and screens. We had a very aggressive passing game. The most aggressive in the nation
Did you even watch our games? Anyone who believes we had the nations most aggressive passing game are stoned out of their minds.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
It's not a delusion, it's a factual stat. But, we'll leave it up to you to turn anything that JG has had a hand into to a pile of 💩.
Lying... doesn't make you more credible.

I have given JG credit when it was due. I was ready to say he had done something truly remarkable before the Vandy and IU games revealed the same guy who stank it up in the early games.

He does not anticipate throws well. That's a FACT. He does not process reads fast enough. That's a FACT. Those are fatal flaws. They appear to be innate weaknesses that have manifested themselves in different ways since he took his first snap.

I criticized his use of the middle of the field from most of last summer. With a significant boost from JJ, he improved that a lot. He improved his management of the O... A LOT. In spite of guys like k-town saying he didn't even have responsibility for audibles or line calls... he did and improved that significantly also. He does some things well and a few things very well.

But it is those weaknesses that enable a good, not great, DC with bad, not good, talent able to defend him. It sucks. It really does. He's tough. He's put up with a lot of criticism fair and unfair and hasn't quit. He has had to deal with different coaches. Shoot, just that Bama gaffe followed by getting reamed in front of millions of people would have been enough to send most people looking for a rock to hide under. He has great physical talent. There's no doubt he works hard. He seems to be a clean cut, respectable guy. He seems to have the respect of the locker room. He's grown up after the GT pouting and now acts as a mentor for guys trying to take his job.

There are a literal TON of good things about the kid.... that unfortunately do NOT make him an effective QB.

Did you even watch our games? Anyone who believes we had the nations most aggressive passing game are stoned out of their minds.
UT was 11th in pass attempts in the SEC.

The stat they're using just doesn't stand on its own or prove the claim. For instance, LSU and Bama had about twice as many plays of 25 yards or more than UT. The gaps between the top and UT on completions of 15 yards or more was similar or greater. That percentage stat doesn't hold up when the gap in raw numbers is that great. Nationally, UT was tied with Mich St, ULL, and Miami in the number of 15+ yd plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: CA_Vol
For this stat to be as meaningful as some imply, UT would have had to have scored lots and lots of points. They didn't.

In fact, JG STILL hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points against any FBS opponent in his career. UT averaged only 24 ppg this year.

The problem was twofold. As some have mentioned, JG still fails to properly lead/anticipate deep throws. Completions that should be TD's are not. That is further complicated by his ineffectiveness in the red zone.

Here is the SEC ratios for FG's as a % of total scores:

1582068123517-png.262229
A lot of wasted Maurer possessions in there. Not to mention red zone penalties plus stuffed run plays on third and fourth and short.

Go ahead with your rant though.

I'd like to think this means the Vols are returning to "We ain't scared of you and nobody. We gonna try to slit your throat even if all we have am an unserrated and dull butter knife." Go for the gusto, Vols, or don't get at all.

If you want to give him credit for that one I won't throw stones... but without Callaway's punt return TD or Bituli's blocked punt TD... that's a tight game and UT doesn't reach 30 points. I qualify that statement by saying that JG hasn't led a UT "O" to more than 30 points vs an FBS opponent. To my knowledge, he never has.
I’m confused 😂 I messed up a quote reply earlier in this thread and may have confused you as well. I don’t remember saying that and I’m not sure what it was a response to, but I’m not a JG advocate. I think he’s holding us back from competing for championships but he’s been our best option so far. JMO
Edit: ohhh I said something about the USCe game. I see where you’re coming from

VN Store

Back