No passing offense was more aggressive than Tennessee

Which would have been a great strategy if we had more consistent QB play and more speed at WR, which we should have going forward. My one knock on our offensive strategy last year was the lack of a controlled passing game, we seriously needed to use the controlled passing game as a running game at times last season. An 8 yard curl, a five yard out, a 3 yard slant to the slot and a play action hot pass to the TE, all of these things were basically a lost art for us last season. TN did have pretty decent success with the deeper routes at times though. JMO
I cannot agree with you more. I screamed this at my TV at times. At least we threw it long instead of throwing it 4 yards when it was third and 6.

Bama and LSU chunked it down the field pretty well. They may as well have put this graphic out to say these teams were playing from behind alot.
But they also threw a lot of shorter routes which diluted the percentage of "explosive" routes

100th best offense in the FBS...so..grains of salt and whatnot.

Total yards isn’t how anyone would define “best offense”. These are the numbers that matter. Total yards (the number you’re quoting) is skewed by the pace the team plays with (favoring Malzhan style teams)

36th in yards per pass attempt

63rd in yards per play (up almost half a yard from last season)

80th in yards per rush.

Also our defense was 27th in yards per play.

Both sides are the ball were highly improved.

Total yards isn’t how anyone would define “best offense”. These are the numbers that matter. Total yards (the number you’re quoting) is skewed by the pace the team plays with (favoring Malzhan style teams)

80th in yards per rush.

Yet its the stat that they will show on TV when talking about how horrid the UT offense is...

80th in yards per rush.

This plus 3rd down efficiency and red zone scoring efficiency.

Yet its the stat that they will show on TV when talking about how horrid the UT offense is...
They'll use whatever stat fits their storyline. They're going to have a tough time talking about Tennessee's "horrid" offense after we beat Oklahoma this year.

Out of curiosity, though, I looked up their numbers for 2019.

257 pass attempts and 573 rushes.

By comparison, Tennessee threw 360 passes and ran it 461 times.

Hard to believe. I could have sworn Kentucky threw the ball 95% of the time. Maybe skewed before Bowden took over.

For this stat to be as meaningful as some imply, UT would have had to have scored lots and lots of points. They didn't.

In fact, JG STILL hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points against any FBS opponent in his career. UT averaged only 24 ppg this year.

The problem was twofold. As some have mentioned, JG still fails to properly lead/anticipate deep throws. Completions that should be TD's are not. That is further complicated by his ineffectiveness in the red zone.

Here is the SEC ratios for FG's as a % of total scores:

1582068123517-png.262229

Attachments

• 1582068123517.png
    1582068123517.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 301
Sorry, but I question any metric that has KY 2nd in a passing offensive statistic since they literally didn’t throw the ball more than 5 times a game and had a WR playing QB.

Reactions: Mick and BeardedVol
Sorry, but I question any metric that has KY 2nd in a passing offensive statistic since they literally didn’t throw the ball more than 5 times a game and had a WR playing QB.

“We never throw the ball deep!”-VN 2018

2019-leads nation % of deep shots taken

VN-“KY was second so it doesn’t count”

Smh

VN Store

Back