No Man's Sky (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Once you have a survery device for your analysis visor, you can find "hotspots" for power or mineral and gas mining. Once you find a power hotspot, you can build electromagnetic generators on it and they will power anything in that base. As you need more power you just build more generators. Here is a link.
Electromagnetic Power Hotspot

As for Phosphorus, it's used in a lot of crafting, it's a way more efficient means of powering you multitool and some hazard protection. It you keeps you from having to hunt for carbon so much. You can also sell it of course. It's also an ingredient needed to make mango gold and uranium.

Sweet. I'm going to look into that. Do all planets of these electromagnetic hotspots?

Sweet. I'm going to look into that. Do all planets of these electromagnetic hotspots?
I think so. All the planets I've put bases on had them. I didn't know to look for them at first. I can think of one plant I explored where I didn't find one. But I didn't look very hard. The real trick is finding one with a good mineral/gas deposit within range. If you're going to build a base/farm/ranch without a mine, it's a non issue though.

Last edited:
Finally found my exotic.
View attachment 310611

Nice! What's the stats?

I randomly found one the other day and turned out to be S-Class as well so I bought it. Also, I finished the 2 main story mission sets (the one about Atlas and the other one with Null). I decided to create a new galaxy and picked the Lush system. The name is Eissentam and I found a Paradise Planet right off the bat. Pretty cool.

Nice! What's the stats?

I randomly found one the other day and turned out to be S-Class as well so I bought it. Also, I finished the 2 main story mission sets (the one about Atlas and the other one with Null). I decided to create a new galaxy and picked the Lush system. The name is Eissentam and I found a Paradise Planet right off the bat. Pretty cool.
S class, I think all the exotics are. It was pretty light on cargo room to start. But I fixed that. I had a bunch of storage augments built up.

I've been slow rolling the main quest. I'm close to the end though.

Last edited:
S class, I think all the exotics are. It was pretty light on cargo room to start. But I fixed that. I had a bunch of storage augments built up.

I've been slow rolling the main quest. I'm close to the end though.

I need to look up how to get those augments because my starship now has 38+13 slots and it is waaaaay expensive to pay for an upgrade now.

Have you moved on to other galaxies yet?

I need to look up how to get those augments because my starship now has 38+13 slots and it is waaaaay expensive to pay for an upgrade now.

Have you moved on to other galaxies yet?
No, I'm still in Euclid. I haven't been in much of a hurry to get to the center.

The starship storage augments come from scraping a ship sometimes. More often than not, I get them from sending the fleet out on missions. The truck is to pay for the early storage upgrades and use stockpiled ones for the later slots. The last one is like 300 million.

No, I'm still in Euclid. I haven't been in much of a hurry to get to the center.

The starship storage augments come from scraping a ship sometimes. More often than not, I get them from sending the fleet out on missions. The truck is to pay for the early storage upgrades and use stockpiled ones for the later slots. The last one is like 300 million.

Yeah the one I just added was 60 mil. But I used an augment I had for it. Time to go scrap more ships.

Yeah the one I just added was 60 mil. But I used an augment I had for it. Time to go scrap more ships.
I find doing fleet missions easier honestly. You don't need an s class freighter to send your fleet out. Just hire some ships and run all five fleet missions per day. I finally figured out how to beat the Dihydrogen grind btw. Buy Dihydrogen Jelly whenever you find it and break it down. A stack of ten gets you 500 Dihydrogen. It's saves a lot of time.

That's a nice trick. Also, if you find a station with a seller selling a module that you want to buy more than 1 all you do is buy the module, jump into your spaceship, jump back out to save the game, and then reload the autosave. It allows you to rebuy the same module again. I just did that and bought 3 S-class hyperdrive upgrades. Hello, 800 ly jump ranges. Gonna add 3 more to my technology tab and have another 600+ lol.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
That's a nice trick. Also, if you find a station with a seller selling a module that you want to buy more than 1 all you do is buy the module, jump into your spaceship, jump back out to save the game, and then reload the autosave. It allows you to rebuy the same module again. I just did that and bought 3 S-class hyperdrive upgrades. Hello, 800 ly jump ranges. Gonna add 3 more to my technology tab and have another 600+ lol.
Nice, that trick works for a lot of things. It's the key to farming starships and freighters too.

@JCHateSteve

Just found a S-Class Activated Indium hotspot and I'm wanting to turn it into an industrial farm. Got any good tips/videos for me to watch on how to build one?

@JCHateSteve

Just found a S-Class Activated Indium hotspot and I'm wanting to turn it into an industrial farm. Got any good tips/videos for me to watch on how to build one?
You got a power hotspot nearby? Most of the videos I know are out of date now. The last few updates made running power over distances harder. Setting up a mine is pretty straight forward though. You need, Mineral Extractors, Supply depots and power of some kind. My mines usually only have a one room base on site with a teleporter, medium refiner, commerce terminal, and nutrient processor.

Here is a link with some detailed info.
Industrial Mining - No Man's Sky | Video Tutorials | Live Streams | Xaine's World

You got a power hotspot nearby? Most of the videos I know are out of date now. The last few updates made running power over distances harder. Setting up a mine is pretty straight forward though. You need, Mineral Extractors, Supply depots and power of some kind. My mines usually only have a one room base on site with a teleporter, medium refiner, commerce terminal, and nutrient processor.

Here is a link with some detailed info.
Industrial Mining - No Man's Sky | Video Tutorials | Live Streams | Xaine's World

I found the S-Class hotspot right before I had to get off so I have my fingers crossed that when I get back on later I can find an electromagnetic hotspot close by. I watched one of Xaines videos about industrial mining, but it was a little rough trying to figure out what he did due to his accent as well as he didn't spell out everything to do (hah). I will check out that video you posted.

So what does one have to do now in order to run cables long distance? Ones I have seen show placing a base computer halfway between the electromagnetic hotspot and your mineral hotspot. Also, what's the need for a nutrient processor?

I found the S-Class hotspot right before I had to get off so I have my fingers crossed that when I get back on later I can find an electromagnetic hotspot close by. I watched one of Xaines videos about industrial mining, but it was a little rough trying to figure out what he did due to his accent as well as he didn't spell out everything to do (hah). I will check out that video you posted.

So what does one have to do now in order to run cables long distance? Ones I have seen show placing a base computer halfway between the electromagnetic hotspot and your mineral hotspot. Also, what's the need for a nutrient processor?
You can extend your base borders to a point. But they made it to where power generated at one base can't run anything attached to another. If you can't build to make it reach from inside your base boundary, I haven't been able to make it work.

The nutrient processor just gives me access to anything in ingredient storage and let me cook there. It's not so much related to the mine as I see at as standard base equipment. I generally end up with some good ingredient to use/store no matter what planet I'm on.

I also build a landing pad and storage containers at all of them. It's just easier if I need to take the rover out and farm something on that kind of world.

Saudi the link is just text. I have trouble finding up to date videos.

Last edited:
You can extend your base borders to a point. But they made it to where power generated at one base can't run anything attached to another. If you can't build to make it reach from inside your base boundary, I haven't been able to make it work.

The nutrient processor just gives me access to anything in ingredient storage and let me cook there. It's not so much related to the mine as I see at as standard base equipment. I generally end up with some good ingredient to use/store no matter what planet I'm on.

I also build a landing pad and storage containers at all of them. It's just easier if I need to take the rover out and farm something on that kind of world.

Saudi the link is just text. I have trouble finding up to date videos.

So basically I need to make sure that my base covers both the power hotspot and the mineral hotspot?

I haven't figured out what cooking is good for. I looked at it as a possible way to make money, but from what I saw it's more challenging than setting up an industrial farm or stasis farm where you can set it up and it just runs.

So basically I need to make sure that my base covers both the power hotspot and the mineral hotspot?

I haven't figured out what cooking is good for. I looked at it as a possible way to make money, but from what I saw it's more challenging than setting up an industrial farm or stasis farm where you can set it up and it just runs.
Basicslly yes, if you're standing at the edge of your base perimeters you can build stuff out side them. But it's limited to sight distance. There may still be a way to leapfrog stuff out further, but I haven't found one that works. If you do, please tell me, lol.

Cooking is good for selling for nanites. There is an NPC on the anomaly that will buy them and pay that way instead of units.

Basicslly yes, if you're standing at the edge of your base perimeters you can build stuff out side them. But it's limited to sight distance. There may still be a way to leapfrog stuff out further, but I haven't found one that works. If you do, please tell me, lol.

Cooking is good for selling for nanites. There is an NPC on the anomaly that will buy them and pay that way instead of units.

I think I know who you are talking about for who to sell the cooked goods to.

Also, I found a B-class power spot 638u away from the mineral spot. I did you exactly as you said and placed the power generators outside the building zone. But I noticed that once I did that I could freely move around and place other units. Dunno what's up with that lol. Anywho, now for the mineral mining part. That's gonna be a tough one to figure out because apparently you can place these units on top of each other but I have no idea how to do that. I also figured out that you can have up to 2500 units/hour before you hit the diminished returns. This also includes storage which means way more piping and electric wires than there used to be.

I think I know who you are talking about for who to sell the cooked goods to.

Also, I found a B-class power spot 638u away from the mineral spot. I did you exactly as you said and placed the power generators outside the building zone. But I noticed that once I did that I could freely move around and place other units. Dunno what's up with that lol. Anywho, now for the mineral mining part. That's gonna be a tough one to figure out because apparently you can place these units on top of each other but I have no idea how to do that. I also figured out that you can have up to 2500 units/hour before you hit the diminished returns. This also includes storage which means way more piping and electric wires than there used to be.
If you go up the right ramp from the hanger just stay straight and you'll go directly to him. He's a frog looking alien.

The being able to place stuff outside you border and it actually pushing the border out is new. I haven't tried it since the last update though. Thanks for the heads up. I've been on Star Wars Squadrons and not playing much NMS.

I know you can stack mining units but haven't really tried it. I generally run pipe and wiring between all the extractors, then run one power line to the whole array. For the storage depots I do the same thing, but just with pipe, they don't need power. Then run one pipe from the storage array to the extractors array.

If you go up the right ramp from the hanger just stay straight and you'll go directly to him. He's a frog looking alien.

The being able to place stuff outside you border and it actually pushing the border out is new. I haven't tried it since the last update though. Thanks for the heads up. I've been on Star Wars Squadrons and not playing much NMS.

I know you can stack mining units but haven't really tried it. I generally run pipe and wiring between all the extractors, then run one power line to the whole array. For the storage depots I do the same thing, but just with pipe, they don't need power. Then run one pipe from the storage array to the extractors array.

So all of this got boogered up with the Origins update. You can have all of your extractors linked together, but once you hit an extraction rate of 2500 ore/hr you begin having diminishing returns. So what you do is you bundle enough extractors just to where you get below the 2500 limit (4 if you are at an S-class mineral hotspot) and then you run each extractor bundle to their own bundle of storage depots (because the diminishing return is also affected by the number of storage depots bundled as well). I do not remember the # for storage depots. In other words, you may need to update the wiring and piping at your mining spots as they are more than likely not as lucrative as they once were.

This is what I have found so far from doing some video research.

So all of this got boogered up with the Origins update. You can have all of your extractors linked together, but once you hit an extraction rate of 2500 ore/hr you begin having diminishing returns. So what you do is you bundle enough extractors just to where you get below the 2500 limit (4 if you are at an S-class mineral hotspot) and then you run each extractor bundle to their own bundle of storage depots (because the diminishing return is also affected by the number of storage depots bundled as well). I do not remember the # for storage depots. In other words, you may need to update the wiring and piping at your mining spots as they are more than likely not as lucrative as they once were.

This is what I have found so far from doing some video research.
Ugh, I guess I'll be doing some reworking when I log on next. Luckily I have quite a bit of the resources I actually use stockpiled.

No, I still have a buddy funding me. I'm the NMS sky equivalent of a trust fund kid lol. At least I won't have to completely rework one.

Yeah I have one per se, but since I started back playing after the Origins update I believe it has been updated with new materials that are needed. Yay.

VN Store

Back