No Effort Today

Well, last year the LVs had some nail biter games against desperately inferior opponents.

But, per the announcers, Kellie is aware that the LVs rebound stats are more a function of being bigger than their opponents than blocking out. So, she is anticipating and I am sure improving on rebounding and defensive intensity is a point of emphasis.

I would not say the LVs are playing down to their competition but it is hard to be 100% locked in with maximal effort against such dismally mismatched opponents.

The problem is that there will be a huge qualitative jump in athleticism and size as the LVs more into the more competitive pre-conference schedule and then the conference schedule.

With Zaay out, I am worried about how well the LVs are going to matchup game in and game out.

The only thing I saw that was inferior considering the Lady Vols is the rebounding and the bigs getting their pockets picked way to many times after getting the rebound. They are bringing the ball down and looking to get it out on the break way to quick it resulted in several steals as Air Force was there to swipe it out of their hands. The fact Air Force got 20 offensive rebounds is inexcusable, but it takes more than a few games to break a lot of bad habits that have built up over a couple of seasons. I thought the half court defense was really good teams gonna be able to get an open three now and then but overall they were only 6 for 25 and will gladly take that number against any opponent. Forced them into several 30 second clock violations by really pressuring the ball and when they tried to drive on the extended defense they were met with a interior defense that could block or prevent them from finishing the play.
If you really want to look for improvement out of this team thus far it would be the half court defense and prevention of the dribble drive layup. We gave up lots of points to those plays last season not happening this year.

Well, last year the LVs had some nail biter games against desperately inferior opponents.

But, per the announcers, Kellie is aware that the LVs rebound stats are more a function of being bigger than their opponents than blocking out. So, she is anticipating and I am sure improving on rebounding and defensive intensity is a point of emphasis.

I would not say the LVs are playing down to their competition but it is hard to be 100% locked in with maximal effort against such dismally mismatched opponents.

The problem is that there will be a huge qualitative jump in athleticism and size as the LVs more into the more competitive pre-conference schedule and then the conference schedule.

With Zaay out, I am worried about how well the LVs are going to matchup game in and game out.
I think many on this board have a reality check in store. Not to say I am not excited about the future of LV's basketball.

Reactions: vettefool
The only thing I saw that was inferior considering the Lady Vols is the rebounding and the bigs getting their pockets picked way to many times after getting the rebound. They are bringing the ball down and looking to get it out on the break way to quick it resulted in several steals as Air Force was there to swipe it out of their hands. The fact Air Force got 20 offensive rebounds is inexcusable, but it takes more than a few games to break a lot of bad habits that have built up over a couple of seasons. I thought the half court defense was really good teams gonna be able to get an open three now and then but overall they were only 6 for 25 and will gladly take that number against any opponent. Forced them into several 30 second clock violations by really pressuring the ball and when they tried to drive on the extended defense they were met with a interior defense that could block or prevent them from finishing the play.
If you really want to look for improvement out of this team thus far it would be the half court defense and prevention of the dribble drive layup. We gave up lots of points to those plays last season not happening this year.
I agree with the half court defense being improved, especially cutting off the dribble drive. Good to see the ladies sliding their feet on defense.

In watching the game, the AF shot a lot of long shots, which = long rebounds,,which often advantage the offense since defense concentrates on short rebounds...Most of their OR's were over the head of our players...I don't stress with this

As long as Rae Burrell is on the roster, noone can ever make a wholesale statement that there was “no effort,” because effort is ALWAYS there with Burrell.

And sure, there were stretches here and there when the team let up too much, but I don’t think it’s fair to put that entire game under the “NO EFFORT” label.

Obviously people see things differently in sports, but I certainly don’t think it was as bad as you saw it.

Think about how they played last year against bad teams. They were really bad. Sometimes getting beat by bad teams. This IS an improvement.

Please stop with the improvement let`s wait and see, Last season we started off 9-0 and please don`t bring up it was Holly i don`t want to hear it. Right now it`s been cupcake city let`s wait until we play a team that can challenge the lady vols then we can talk about improvement.

The goal of this team still has to be to finish the season with less than double digit losses. I still think were something like 21 and 8 in the regular season hopefully they prove me wrong.

Reactions: djtee
This is the worst that I have seen us play this year. There was no effort from the girls on the floor of the coaching staff. The commentator even mentioned that there was no set plays or screens set on offense. The defense was not blocking out at all for the rebounds. I don't see a team in the SEC that we would have beaten today. If you go back to ND and them watched them play this weekend they don't look like the same team, they are so much improved. That 20 foot lob into the paint that we are making over undersized players is not going to work. When you watch us on defense I don't see many if any that will even put their hands up when making an attempt to close out on a jump shooter. You saw as well as I did they were open for the three point shoot anytime that they wanted it, fortunately for us they didn't hit very many. The uncontested layup's with our size is inexcusable and what is scary is that they are not held accountable. I hate to lose as much as anyone but it's coming sooner rather than later if she doesn't demand more, and yes coach more especially during the game. Today's game looked no better than what we looked like last year against inferior opponents.. We need more effort from everyone on the floor and on the bench and we can make this a magical year.

“With heavy hearts for their opponent, the 20th-ranked Lady Vols (6-0)...”

No. 20 Lady Vols Beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff in Wake of Tragedy | RTI

Please stop with the improvement let`s wait and see, Last season we started off 9-0 and please don`t bring up it was Holly i don`t want to hear it. Right now it`s been cupcake city let`s wait until we play a team that can challenge the lady vols then we can talk about improvement.
Sorry about that. I was trying to be all positive and stuff. Thank you for putting me and the Lady Vols back in the doldrums where we belong...

The goal of this team still has to be to finish the season with less than double digit losses. I still think were something like 21 and 8 in the regular season hopefully they prove me wrong.
I believe they are capable of a won-loss record of 25-4. Next ten games will be the tale of the tape.

I believe they are capable of a won-loss record of 25-4. Next ten games will be the tale of the tape.
Capable yes but will it happen? I am hoping we don't have them one and two point losses like last season could've easily had 23 wins then after losing a few close ones team quit.

Like the other poster said, the one silver lining (and I don't disagree that the schedule has been Cupcake City) is that they are blowing away the cupcakes instead of struggling to pull away. Even when they haven't looked that good, they are still winning handily...something they didn't do last year.

As was the case with MSST this past weekend, the games vs. Texas and Stanford will tell alot about just how good this Tennessee team is. A comfortable win vs. Texas and a close game (win or lose) vs. Stanford would be a sign that they are trending in the right direction.

Like the other poster said, the one silver lining (and I don't disagree that the schedule has been Cupcake City) is that they are blowing away the cupcakes instead of struggling to pull away. Even when they haven't looked that good, they are still winning handily...something they didn't do last year.

As was the case with MSST this past weekend, the games vs. Texas and Stanford will tell alot about just how good this Tennessee team is. A comfortable win vs. Texas and a close game (win or lose) vs. Stanford would be a sign that they are trending in the right direction.

Not all has been easy ETS had a chance ? And to be fair some of the cupcakes we have played have been pounded, Vandy put 105 on Tenn State so i don`t think we can say we have not struggling to pull away from the cupcakes. I will agree with you on Texas and Stanford will tell alot about just how good this Tennessee team is.

Yes it is cupcake city, but if you don't see a different chef,,,you're not looking

These girls don't put opponents away by 40 then play rough shod to finish,,,these girls are focused. Their not running teams in the ground with 100 pt. outings,,, they get a comfortable lead and then dare their opponent to do anything about it for the rest of the game.

I like that

Reactions: Orange Maniac
So far the competition we could beat if we were blindfolded and Texas won’t be much better!

I am thinking 24-5
3rd in the SEC
S16 in the tourney, maybe E8
Yes, to go beyond 3rd in the SEC post play must improve. The tallest bigs obviously have untrained talent especially noticed on the offensive end.
The advice I am about to give is good for a laugh if nothing else. As students they can take an elective course in dance and
thereby learn the two step so valuable on shots around the basket. There are many other steps and agility gained to be learned
in around and under the basket both with and without the ball in simple dance movements.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
What I like about this year is we aren't pressing these cupcakes full court with superior athletes to just get a huge margin of victory. We have been playing straight up basketball and working on our standard offense and defense which I think will pay more dividends in the long run versus a 60 point blowout against these teams. This is how I have seen the early/cupcake season being handled by Kellie and Company.

Yes, to go beyond 3rd in the SEC post play must improve. The tallest bigs obviously have untrained talent especially noticed on the offensive end.
The advice I am about to give is good for a laugh if nothing else. As students they can take an elective course in dance and
thereby learn the two step so valuable on shots around the basket. There are many other steps and agility gained to be learned
in around and under the basket both with and without the ball in simple dance movements.

Or they can take a summer course with Me.
Imagine Key with a true "sky-hook" released at the peak of her jump and extension...unstoppable
Emily with footwork and a little more lift from her knees
KK with a Patrick Ewing fade...

Harris will be gone next year.

Or they can take a summer course with Me.
Imagine Key with a true "sky-hook" released at the peak of her jump and extension...unstoppable
Emily with footwork and a little more lift from her knees
KK with a Patrick Ewing fade...

Harris will be gone next year.
You have to jump to have a fade, otherwise it's just a fall backwards and chuck it up. :D

VN Store

Back