No Cable. Vols streaming discussion. [merged]

I'll say one more thing, admittedly off topic but hopefully helpful. I became so sick of the TV network talking heads a few years ago that I bought an audio delay box. I've seen posts from many on here that don't like the Vol broadcast guys on the radio, but at least they keep up with the game. Now I just delay the signal from the radio to sync with the TV broadcast. Way more informative audio broadcast and more enjoyable for me. I do this for pretty much all Vol football and basketball games. Probably not for everyone, but it has really been well worth it for me.

DirecTV. I record 20 to 24 games each Saturday to watch. Really have minimal issues with it. Lighting hit dish in May and it was going to be 4 days to get service tech out so they knocked off 55 bucks a month for a year. Nice and unexpected gesture.

In my experience, YouTube TV is pretty good. It offers the most channels, you get local channels, unlimited DVR, the first month is free, plus you get 10.00 off the next 3 months.

YouTube TV Channels List
YouTube TV gives subscribers access to all of these channels:

• ABC
  • ABC News
  • ACCN
  • Adult Swim
  • AMC
  • Animal Planet
  • BBC America
  • BBC World News
  • Big Ten Network
  • Bravo
  • Cartoon Network
  • CBS
  • CBS Sports
  • Cheddar News
  • CMT
  • CNBC
  • CNBC World
  • CNN
  • Comedy Central
  • Comet TV
  • Court TV
  • CoziTV
  • The CW
  • Discovery Channel
  • Disney Channel
  • Disney Junior
  • Disney XD
  • E!
  • ESPN
  • ESPN2
  • ESPNU
  • ESPNews
  • Food Network
  • Fox
  • Fox Business
  • Fox News Channel
  • Fox Sports
  • Freeform
  • FS1
  • FS2
  • FX
  • FXM
  • FXX
  • Golf Channel
  • HGTV
  • HLN
  • IFC
  • Investigation Discovery
  • Los Angeles Football Club
  • MLB Game of the Week
  • MLB Network
  • MotorTrend
  • MSNBC
  • MTV
  • My Network TV
  • National Geographic
  • Nat Geo WILD
  • NBA TV
  • NBC
  • NBCLX
  • NBC News Now
  • NBC Sports
  • NBC Sports Network
  • NBC Universo
  • NECN
  • Newsy
  • NFL Network
  • Nickelodeon
  • Olympics Channel
  • Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN)
  • Oxygen
  • Paramount Network
  • PBS
  • PBS Kids
  • Pop
  • SEC
  • Smithsonian Channel
  • SNY
  • Start TV
  • SundanceTV
  • Syfy
  • Tastemade
  • TBS
  • TCM
  • Telemundo
  • TLC
  • TNT
  • Travel Channel
  • TruTV
  • TV Land
  • TYT
  • Universal Kids
  • USA
  • VH1
  • WE tv
  • YouTube Originals

Earlier this year I cut the cable service. I have ROKU and Amazon's Firestick on my TV's now. I'm looking for recommendations for which streaming service to pick up that will give me the best chance to catch the Vols this season. I don't watch any other sports btw...only college football. ALL Vol games, a few others scattered throughout the season.
Thanks.
Hulu Live or YouTube TV for a couple months a year seems to be the best way. The less ethical way would be to find someone willing to allow you to sign into the ESPN app with their credentials.

Yeah, but the problem with radio is the announcers.

All they talk about is the game or the Tennessee players, or the Tennessee coaches. You don't get interrupted with cutaways to other games, you don't hear minutes of conversation about other teams, other conferences, other sports. You don't get to hear the annoucers' summer travel stories, what the announcers ate last night, what the producer ate, what their broadcast buddies did last week, what their wives (say they) did, what's showing on ABC after the games. You get no opinions on current events, no recipes, no DIY handy household tips,

...just Tennessee football.

I had YT TV for several months.
When they increased to $64.99 + with my internet costs it's basically the same price a cable.
No savings, and more hassle.
Back to Comcast.
Yeah the cost basically negates the benefits for me. Only benefit to YT is they make it easy to watch from devices outside of your home. Comcast has some limitations

Y the time you pay for decent internet and then Sling, Hulu, fubo, or your tube tv…. It’s cheaper to just get cable seriously

Y the time you pay for decent internet and then Sling, Hulu, fubo, or your tube tv…. It’s cheaper to just get cable seriously

But the problem is most households now are paying for internet anyway. So if you're comparing the cost of internet + streaming with the cost of cable, you must also factor in the cost of internet with cable as well. It's not like most households are going to suddenly cancel their internet just because they use cable for content viewing. They COULD, of course and if they chose to do so that would certainly bring the cost down. However realistically, most households are going to keep internet anyway. Other charges to consider are cable box rental, and if you have more than one TV you usually have to rent additional boxes for those TV's, where with YouTube TV, they have a family plan at no additional charge where you can have up to 4 profiles. And it's not just limited to TV's. You can stream it on anything from PC's, to tablets, to phones. That's a huge one for me because in a lot of cases I'm not at home while a game is going on and I can stream it on my phone from wherever I am. That's a huge feature that cable does not offer!

For my internet service, I pay 57.99 per month. If I were to subscribe to their digital channel package that's equivalent to YouTube TV (95 channels, including local channels and the sports package), that would cost me 85.99 per month on a two year contract. That would=143.98 per month and that's just with one digital box for one TV. With YouTube TV I pay 64.99 per month (no contract) on top of internet which=122.98 and I can watch that content on any device, anywhere I am. Plus unlimited cloud DVR. For me, it's a no-brainer to go with streaming over digital cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: InfiniteVol
First...Thank you to all who have responded. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat and I really appreciate folks taking time to tell us what they're doing. In my house...we just blindly paid for cable for years without looking at other options. With all the "add-ons" we had chosen, one at a time as time passed...we were paying something like $225.00 per month. That included WiFi internet service. Circumstances qround here changed and I had to look at that cable bill as an expendable expense, so I took it out. Still paying $75.00 for the internet but that's when I heard about ROKU. My ROKU service provides waaayyy more television options than I need and since I'm already paying for WiFi..there's no extra monthly fee. We also had already bought an Amazon Firestick ( she's a huge fan of Amazon Prime) so that's connected to the second TV.
Like Brave Volunteer pointed out above:
"But the problem is most households now are paying for internet anyway ...."
That's me. TV cable isn't happening in a vacuum...the house already has internet so whatever I choose to be able to watch the Vols...that $75.00 monthly is already part of my monthly overhead and it's not going away. I'm going to review all the excellent suggestions and pick something to buy into AT LEAST..through November. I like the idea of having DVR available so that I don't have to be home at kickoff to watch the game. I've done that in the past. My enjoyment of the game was never spoiled by hearing a score before I was watching. I'm down here in Florida where nobody talks about the Vols until we're playing the Gators.

Reactions: LittleVol
The cheapest way is streaming off of Reddit. You probably need a Mac to do it, though.

I think they got rid of that subreddit (or at least new posts), but there is a link to the new "home"/aggregator of the streaming links, iirc.

For those interested in using Spectrum apps on Roku I got an email from Roku this afternoon saying they had renewed their agreement to distribute the Spectrum app.

Y the time you pay for decent internet and then Sling, Hulu, fubo, or your tube tv…. It’s cheaper to jcablust get cable seriously
It wasn't for me. six months ago I paid Spectrum $198 a month for internet, landline phone, and cable tv. I cut the tv, kept the landline and internet, and went to local antenna, bought
two roku sticks and subscribed to Vidgo. my cost for all this is now $55 plus $85 for a total of
$140 a month. With this route, I picked up the NFL, the Big 10, the Pac 12, the golf channel, and 3 ESPN channels, along with the SEC channel. Cannot beat it.

I've used Directv for years. Gives me everything I require and no worries about changing and looking for new options. I record 18-20 college games each week to watch. Watch every SEC game that is shown.. try to catch every top 25 matchup. Direct is consistent and totally satisfied.

Dish got hit by lighting this year and they couldn't dispatch a tech for 4 days. Knocked 55 bucks off my subscription for a year due to wait. I really didn't miss anything. used HULU free service for the few days just to have something to watch. Not anything I'm interested for a long term deal.

A
The time of John Ward on radio (mid/late 60's thru late 90's) was such a special time to be a young man growing up in Vol country. I have so many special memories associated with Mr. Ward. Family gathered around dialing that old radio like a safecracker having to search for the channel on the nearest weak AM station.....calling home from overseas (when it was really expensive) just to have my mom hold the phone next to the radio so I could listen to Ward call a big game.... Its maybe the only time in my life that we had the best, and I knew and recognized it at the time. I always dreaded the day when he wouldn't be behind the mic. Lord what a gift he had. A gift to us.

And don't you miss the commercials for Philco? What a picture! What a price!

The kick is up and it's gooood! With time out on the field, Tennessee 24 Alabama 23 (or whatever the score would be).

I cut cable, other than internet, a couple of years ago and went with youtube TV. At the time it was the best option for sports. May have changed. The price has gone up but am still happy with it. The unlimited dvr is the best feature by far

work for a Cable company. most have a streaming platform. you can share across multiple users...juss sayin' You gotta pay to play.

I cut cable, other than internet, a couple of years ago and went with youtube TV. At the time it was the best option for sports. May have changed. The price has gone up but am still happy with it. The unlimited dvr is the best feature by far
Its still the best. But probably the most expensive. You know the saying, you get what you pay for.

Reactions: KptVFL
Having DVR is important. Unfortunately, sometimes life gets in the way of sitting down for a game as it happens. I believe SLING also has sufficient DVR for a Vol game. I don't save'em so unlimited capacity isn't needed.

What made John Ward so special was not only could he paint such a vivid picture of what was happening on the field, he was almost like a conductor, directing a Symphony! He could raise your emotions so high when something great happened, you'd have to look down to see heaven! Likewise, he could make you feel the bitter disappointment when things went wrong. His broadcasting transcended not merely filling our ears and "eyes" with what was happening, he filled our hearts with Christmas morning excitement! Now excuse me while I finish chopping these onions!
We were SO fortunate to have THE VOICE of the Vols.

Attachments

• John Ward Tennessee Voice.jpg
    John Ward Tennessee Voice.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: tbh
Earlier this year I cut the cable service. I have ROKU and Amazon's Firestick on my TV's now. I'm looking for recommendations for which streaming service to pick up that will give me the best chance to catch the Vols this season. I don't watch any other sports btw...only college football. ALL Vol games, a few others scattered throughout the season.
Thanks.
I’ve not had cable in years and I just get on YouTube and watch the livestreams of the games. Im not 100% sure it’ll be on there this year but it’s worked the last 2 years. Sometimes they end them but usually by then there’s 3 or 4 more.

VN Store

Back