No. 1 Banner

Again I ask, “So what?!” If hanging a banner brings some joy to members of the program and their loyal fans, who is that hurting? Can’t we relax our sphincters for a little while and recognize that everyone is just doing their best to find ways to manage the madness of the world these days?
So, since I started this thread (just for conversation in the long gap between games) I will address your comment.

Yes, it's a big so what. I mean, it's their banner, their team, their players and mostly their coach that wanted to do this.

However, I really don't believe anyone here has a tight sphincter (love that word) about the banner.

For me, it's just looking at it for what it is, a tribute to being first in two polls when the season ended. Good for them. But there is a No. 1 when the regular season ends every year. And there is a No. 1 when the conference tournaments end every year. Putting up a banner because there wasn't a Tournament to crown a true champion seems a little self serving. But again, it's their banner.

Look, message boards are supposed to be for discussion. How boring would this thread be if everyone replying like you did to my original post with a "so what".

It would have been a little more palatable if the banner didn't say "unanimous" when there were 10 voters who voted for Oregon.

Again I ask, “So what?!” If hanging a banner brings some joy to members of the program and their loyal fans, who is that hurting? Can’t we relax our sphincters for a little while and recognize that everyone is just doing their best to find ways to manage the madness of the world these days?

I’m mostly impressed you figured out a way to work the word “Sphincters” into a conversation ... Bravo 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

It really doesn’t make a difference to me...I understand why they did it and I also understand why people find it to be tacky. 2020 has been a rough year...if it can bring some joy to people, so be it!
That's kinda my take on it. In general though, the SC/Dawn hate on this board doesn't make alot of sense to me.

And hot take, for the record: I think SC would've beaten Oregon last season

Does anyone else remember how, back in the old days, Pat was accused of being arrogant and obnoxious for including on the Lady Vols’ annual schedule the dates and locations for the NCAA Tournament? I do. I’m sure many other programs do that now, but Pat sure did catch some grief for it. Did she care? Of course not.

Well the point of this entire thread to me is that they did it and I wasn't going to bring it up in a post, but since someone did I will have my fun with it as well. There is no champion in 2019 and it will forever be true regardless of banners that fly over the Chicken house.

Well the point of this entire thread to me is that they did it and I wasn't going to bring it up in a post, but since someone did I will have my fun with it as well. There is no champion in 2019 and it will forever be true regardless of banners that fly over the Chicken house.

I think there is PLENTY OF ROOM for banners? Just Saying. 😈

Reactions: Jravol78
I think there is PLENTY OF ROOM for banners? Just Saying. 😈
They can have all they want as far as far as I am concerned whatever makes them happy. They have one that counts and one that don't they can keep each other company.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Does anyone else remember how, back in the old days, Pat was accused of being arrogant and obnoxious for including on the Lady Vols’ annual schedule the dates and locations for the NCAA Tournament? I do. I’m sure many other programs do that now, but Pat sure did catch some grief for it. Did she care? Of course not.

Those examples aren't at all related. One is a declaration of intent, the other is a self-proclaimed award.

Remember when Tennessee made "SEC East Champion" rings? Yeah, everyone made fun of that. Because it was a self-awarded meaningless title. There's no such thing as "SEC east champions," and you'd only say that if you didn't win the actual SEC Championship or a CFP/BCS championship.

Remember when the Nashville Predators did the whole "Regular Season Western Conference Champions" banner? I posted that image earlier in this thread. Everyone made fun of that too. Because it was a self-awarded meaningless title. There's no such thing as regular season whatevers. Just conference champions (which still don't matter) and Stanley Cup winners.

South Carolina is good right now, very good. Everyone knows that. They were good last year too, everyone knows that too. But that banner is still meaningless and silly. And not at all like Pat putting the tournament in the schedule.

When the Devil needs an advocate, he'll let you know, ok?

You feel how you want to feel but they did that as a team and as a university. They finished ranked #1 and decided to hang a banner and that’s something to be proud of tournament or not. Dawn knew she would get backlash because of it and she doesn’t care because she knows her team can prove it on the court also and since the season was cut short she didn’t want all of their hard work to be in vain. A lot of y’all have something to say but honestly the only team who should have something to say would be Oregon. No other team honestly stood a chance against that SC team last year anyway so it shouldn’t matter that much to the rest.....

I hate to break it to you, but tournaments have upsets. Every year. Just because you think South Carolina would have won the tournament, it doesn’t make it a fact. It’s an opinion. UCONN fans thought they would win in 2017, Baylor fans expected to repeat in 2013, Duke stumbled in 2007, etc. The list goes on.

The fact is no team won a championship in 2020. And for a program that won a title in 2017 to hang a No. 1 banner, it just comes off as needy at best and desperate at worst.

I hate to break it to you, but tournaments have upsets. Every year. Just because you think South Carolina would have won the tournament, it doesn’t make it a fact. It’s an opinion. UCONN fans thought they would win in 2017, Baylor fans expected to repeat in 2013, Duke stumbled in 2007, etc. The list goes on.

Also, when Tennessee won in 2007 and 2008, they weren't ranked #1 in either poll headed into the tournament. As a matter of fact, Tennessee wasn't ranked #1 at any point during the season in 2007; their highest ranking was #2.

South Carolina wasn't ranked #1 during their NC season, either, and won because MSST knocked off UConn in the semis. They, out of everyone, should know that being ranked #1 doesn't mean much when it comes to winning the NC.

When the Devil needs an advocate, he'll let you know, ok?

Hey, I'm just happy to know that lives in here are so exquisitely perfect that folks like you can afford to spend emotional capital on THIS apparently crucial matter. Lucky you! lol

The fact is no team won a championship in 2020. And for a program that won a title in 2017 to hang a No. 1 banner, it just comes off as needy at best and desperate at worst.

I honestly don’t care lol... why are y’all still talking about this? The banner is up and there to stay... energy should be placed elsewhere instead of worrying about why a team put a banner up don’t you think?:rolleyes:

That's kinda my take on it. In general though, the SC/Dawn hate on this board doesn't make alot of sense to me.

And hot take, for the record: I think SC would've beaten Oregon last season
I agree. I don’t understand the Dawn hate and I believe SC would have taken Oregon down. I hate that we were robbed of that game.

I honestly don’t care lol... why are y’all still talking about this? The banner is up and there to stay... energy should be placed elsewhere instead of worrying about why a team put a banner up don’t you think?:rolleyes:
I can’t believe I’m agreeing with you, but yes, you hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: SCspur
... why are y’all still talking about this?

Take off your cockscomb and put on a Homer hat. Would you rather sprinkle a little friendly shade on a rival, or talk about "strange, mysterious, arguably ineffective" substitution patterns?

Happy to have helped you out with this vexatious problem. ;)

Do you ever laugh when you see a video of someone slipping on the ice? SC WBB just slipped on the ice and it's funny.

Nothing says "I don't care" like the fact that you've responded in this thread more than anyone. And if you hadn't noticed, we haven't had a lot of games to talk about lately...

I only respond when spoken to. Y’all should really be focused on your team playing Arkansas this week. Hope it’s a good one :D

VN Store

Back