NJ DT Tywone Malone

Question: How do you pitch to Tywone?
Answer: With tears in your eyes.

Just pray he doesn't hit it up the box on ya. Man, could you imagine a liner back at you? Not at my age.
I'd throw the hook and try to catch the corner and steal a strike. Heat again on the outside corner. Then throw that hanging curve at him to make his knees buckle that catches the inside corner. Those were the days man.....

Reactions: VolsSince78
Just pray he doesn't hit it up the box on ya. Man, could you imagine a liner back at you? Not at my age.
I'd throw the hook and try to catch the corner and steal a strike. Heat again on the outside corner. Then throw that hanging curve at him to make his knees buckle that catches the inside corner. Those were the days man.....

I sorta stole that Q&A from Black Jack McDowell of the ChiSox when somebody in the media asked McDowell how he pitched to Kirby Puckett.

I pitched from Little League to college ball, and though I broke my hand twice sliding into a base, the worst physical pain I ever felt in baseball was getting hit just above the knee by a line drive from my best friend while throwing batting practice in HS. We weren’t smart enough to use screens in front of the BP pitcher back then. It missed the kneecap, and turned out not serious at all. But I actually teared up a little while laying on the mound- even though there is no crying in BB. Sorry for wordiness.

Yeah, BP with no screen. We did a lot back then that's unimaginable today. The training. The off-season workouts. I would be playing basketball in His, and leave there and go to baseball practice.

Reactions: tn4elvis
Yeah, but OSU Baseball in the Spring couldn't compare to a nice crisp Saturday in Knoxville. He'd be playing against some of the best pitchers in the country, not to leave out the best football teams in the country. Vols have the edge against other schools offering that package.

Reactions: GojiraVol17
Do you think we ramped up the heat here due to possibly missing on Page? Malone would still be a very nice consolation prize. Either way, you can never have too many DLinemen.

I sorta stole that Q&A from Black Jack McDowell of the ChiSox when somebody in the media asked McDowell how he pitched to Kirby Puckett.

I pitched from Little League to college ball, and though I broke my hand twice sliding into a base, the worst physical pain I ever felt in baseball was getting hit just above the knee by a line drive from my best friend while throwing batting practice in HS. We weren’t smart enough to use screens in front of the BP pitcher back then. It missed the kneecap, and turned out not serious at all. But I actually teared up a little while laying on the mound- even though there is no crying in BB. Sorry for wordiness.
Fouling a ball off your shin is extremely painful. Also a foul tip to the arm or hand while catching is brutal

Lol, just saw this. I hit our pitcher in almost the same spot at the Fountain City baseball field in North Knoxville.

I felt bad for him. The bruise on his shin was nasty.

Thing that hurts most while catching is when blocking a ball in the dirt and it hits that bone on the side of your wrist that feels like a knot. Not enjoyable!
Worst thing I ever had was one hot Saturday at Greer Stadium. Went to block a nasty curve, didn’t tuck my chin properly and took the bounce right off the Adam’s apple. Runner came home and I was on the ground with my coaching cussing me the whole time for not getting the ball. Ended up with lace marks on my throat, lol

Worst thing I ever had was one hot Saturday at Greer Stadium. Went to block a nasty curve, didn’t tuck my chin properly and took the bounce right off the Adam’s apple. Runner came home and I was on the ground with my coaching cussing me the whole time for not getting the ball. Ended up with lace marks on my throat, lol
I've had those lace marks on my chin before. Not fun.

Wonder how much harder it gets if we don't get official visits this season? Hopefully that changes, he visits, and falls in love with Tennessee.

VN Store

Back