as already mentioned The Big Hurt
Cecil Fielder
Prince Fielder
John Kruk
Pablo Sandoval
Carlos Lee
Dmitri Young
Tony Gwynn
And last but certainly not least, The Great Bambino. Listed at 215 early in his career but certainly ended up a big boy.
Those are all big dudes, any of them over 300 as non pitchers?

Those are all big dudes, any of them over 300 as non pitchers?

Yes. None of those were pitchers except the Babe. And that was earlier in his career. And while none of those guys listed as much as 300, most all of them were in fact that heavy or close to it. Baseball tends to list player's earliest and lightest weights and leave it that way. They all were most certainly rotund men. And everyone knows first base is the least active position on the field other than pitcher. Not a lot of running compared to the other spots. That's why in every level of baseball and softball the fattest kid is almost always the first baseman. Is it the norm to have a 300lber? No. It is an anomally, but it happens. Usually guys that big end up playing football. Go figure.

Reactions: Frankwillie87
800px-Ortizpoint.jpg

Yes. None of those were pitchers except the Babe. And that was earlier in his career. And while none of those guys listed as much as 300, most all of them were in fact that heavy or close to it. Baseball tends to list player's earliest and lightest weights and leave it that way. They all were most certainly rotund men. And everyone knows first base is the least active position on the field other than pitcher. Not a lot of running compared to the other spots. That's why in every level of baseball and softball the fattest kid is almost always the first baseman. Is it the norm to have a 300lber? No. It is an anomally, but it happens. Usually guys that big end up playing football. Go figure.
It's true that 1B is generally 1 of the least demanding positions on defense, but this guy would still probably put on 30 pounds to be a DT in Pruitt's defense. Just to make weight at say 285, he'd have to lose 45 pounds in the spring. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that every pound below 300 that Serrano would want him so that he could play 1B would make it that more difficult.

Tony Gwynn could carry some really bad weight...the latter half of his career.

One of my favorite players and one of the best hitters ever, but what he was packing on his 5’11-6’0 frame was probably equivalent to 300 lbs to a taller guy...

A1BA1B9A-A1F4-4205-99AB-C9FF65197A8B.jpeg

Mo Vaughn
as already mentioned The Big Hurt
Cecil Fielder
Prince Fielder
John Kruk
Pablo Sandoval
Carlos Lee
Dmitri Young
Tony Gwynn
And last but certainly not least, The Great Bambino. Listed at 215 early in his career but certainly ended up a big boy.
Ha, John Kruk. Possibly the most unathletic athlete to ever play a professional sport. I liked watching those Phillies teams though.
GBO!!

The list weight I’m seeing for David Ortiz is 230. Even if you add thirty lbs in case they were being kind, it still doesn’t come close to 300+.

Reactions: LittleVol
Tony Gwynn could carry some really bad weight...the latter half of his career.

One of my favorite players and one of the best hitters ever, but what he was packing on his 5’11-6’0 frame was probably equivalent to 300 lbs to a taller guy...

View attachment 283144
81BF0681-6215-46E3-A3D9-7B1F3191D6AC.jpeg
Tony Gwynn in college. Great athlete that packed on the weight as he aged.
GBO!!

Want. Not just for football, but baseball, too. I kinda wanna see him destroy a Gators or Vandy's catcher with a bang/bang play at the plate. I can see him hitting tape measure HRs out of Lindsey Nelson and he pitches, also. Plus, that offer list in football is elite

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I love the potential of this kid playing both football and baseball. Helton is the last one I remember, but I do smoke a lot of weed. Still, the baseball team was probably going to host a regional this year, they are on the same upward projectory the football team is, imo. Both got the right coach, once again, imo. But, come on, a 300 pound, 1st Baseman/Pitcher/Defensive Tackle. How effing cool is that and mad publicity to boot

I love the potential of this kid playing both football and baseball. Helton is the last one I remember, but I do smoke a lot of weed. Still, the baseball team was probably going to host a regional this year, they are on the same upward projectory the football team is, imo. Both got the right coach, once again, imo. But, come on, a 300 pound, 1st Baseman/Pitcher/Defensive Tackle. How effing cool is that and mad publicity to boot
Hate to rain on your great overall post, but he won’t pitch in college. Still, good points

Hate to rain on your great overall post, but he won’t pitch in college. Still, good points
That's OK, I prefer a 300 pound hitter over a 300 pound pitcher, anyway. I love that scouting report about how quick his hands are, probably helps in football, also.

Reactions: Palm Beach Vol
I think Gwynn was drafted by the San Diego (before they moved to LA) Clippers, back when they had like 10 rounds in the NBA or maybe it was the ABA
I didn’t know that. I knew he was an all conference guy in college and I’m pretty sure he was an all American in baseball.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back