NIL x's NFT = $$$$$$$

OneVolNation

All Vols All The Time
Innovation is often described as combining two existing things to make something new.

So much of success is about the right timing.

NFT's have been around long enough to prove their viability (Gronk already made over a million with his)...

but they are still fresh enough so that the opportunity for profit is primed for those who are smart enough
to be fast movers while it's still a level playing field without too many barriers to market entry.

Both the NIL and NFT are relatively new so there is unlimited potential ready to be actualized for
people who see the promise in combining both now while the timing is perfect for positioning.

For starters, think about a limited number of custom football player jersey NFTs available for use in college football video games.
That's just one idea to get creative juices flowing.

With enough desire and ambition, Tennessee players could put their minds to it and profit big while creating value that's fun for collectors and fans.

Business minded people could create marketplace startups and/or provide consulting to players, schools, and companies.

Since this is related to Tennessee football with the NIL, I think exploring the world of NFT in context with NIL could make for an interesting if not unique topic for discussion here.

What do y'all think about it? Have you heard about it or maybe even already made, bought or sold your own?

The concept makes sense to me. But like all things blockchain, it's nebulous as far as what will have value. Custom jerseys might be a non-starter though since the schools will work hard to protect their brand.

Arch Manning limited edition NFTs could go wild. It will depend of players (how good they are) and teams (how much they win). Look for SuperBowl NFT this year.

Reactions: OneVolNation
The concept makes sense to me. But like all things blockchain, it's nebulous as far as what will have value. Custom jerseys might be a non-starter though since the schools will work hard to protect their brand.
I read somewhere none of the NIL could include school logo/trademark. Don’t know how true or enforceable but makes sense to me

NFTs are a momentary fad whose time has already passed. They will not retain value outside of very specific items and even then it's questionable how much "value" they will retain. Anyone blowing smoke about NFTs probably owns NFTs.

Reactions: knoxvol16
The NIL stuff is mostly meaningless for college athletes, their image is not worth anything... 99% of them. For the big money sports its all about signing day or stopping someone from transferring at this point.

The NCAA has no teeth to stop compensation in any form, more or less.

Its about contract of service i.e. signing, those (NIL) simply aren't the bounds of compensation.

Okay, I'll be the one to ask: What's NFT?
Non-fungible Token. The simplest way I can put it is it's a digital asset which has its ownership recorded via blockchain to represent the ownership of something like a meme, gif, pic, video clip etc. Think of it as a unique identifier for owning the digital equivalent of artwork.

I read somewhere none of the NIL could include school logo/trademark. Don’t know how true or enforceable but makes sense to me
I've never played one, but what about these video games that feature college sports? It was my understanding that they include player names. Until now...maybe even now...the athletes were not getting paid (?). Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can comment further.

I've never played one, but what about these video games that feature college sports? It was my understanding that they include player names. Until now...maybe even now...the athletes were not getting paid (?). Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can comment further.
They do not include player names but the issue has always been you know who is who based on number, position, hometown, skill rating, etc

Experts are projecting that NFTs are going to be huge in video games where players can get special abilities and items that can help them win in the game and also as collectibles. Some will be play to earn and others will be in app purchases. There are already in app purchases. Definitely a growing industry and not just a fad. They are already gaining popularity in the art world, video games, and collectibles. It will be interesting to see how it continues to grow. Of course there were people who said Bitcoin was just a fad and were wrong about that too. Some people just can't stand something new and don't accept it until it's already mainstream. Early adopters on the other hand see the possibilities and often benefit as a result.

I don't own any yet but would consider opening an NFT marketplace in the near future.

I don't have any connection to this author or his advisory company at all, but he seems to think NIL with NFT has legs to it too.

You can check out the article about it here. Thought it was interesting.

NCAA athletes will benefit from NFTs

Last edited:

VN Store

Back