NIL Problems

If I have this correct...some kid signed to play for Ohio State and skipped his senior year of HS. AND he got an NIL deal worth $1.4 million for 3 years of occasionally signing autographs. This is crazy. It seems to me this is only going to serve to make those 4 or 5 true power programs even stronger. Not good!

back to the original post, i heard GP and TCU are pretty fired up over the big 12 realignment. they don't like it at all.

I actually think NIL will help the non-power schools. High rated guys can get an NIL deal and go to a non-powerhouse, play immediately, and boost their visibility out of the gate rather than sit for two-plus years. Or they may start out at a big school and transfer out to play somewhere else if they have things like escalation clauses.

The Pony Express 30 for 30 was basically a bunch of old Sportswriters from the Dallas Morning News telling the stories of how every school in the SWC and the DFW area were cheating their asses off because of all the oil money in Dallas and Texas. Come on Gary.

There are always bumps in the road when change occurs. From what I see here, Patterson is trying to get his boosters to step up more than whining about the big boys poaching his players. Outside of that, I really don't see anything that allows for coaches to openly and blatantly tamper with other rosters but kids are going to notice which schools have boosters that sponsor NIL deals and the schools that don't. Imo, Patterson is simply hoping to be able to announce a couple of 6 figure NIL deals.

Reactions: txbo
The Pony Express 30 for 30 was basically a bunch of old Sportswriters from the Dallas Morning News telling the stories of how every school in the SWC and the DFW area were cheating their asses off because of all the oil money in Dallas and Texas. Come on Gary.
cover593.jpg

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
NIL is going to be as effective as programs allow it to be. The ones who fully embrace it and exhaust every avenue possible to maximize their player's earning potential will thrive. The ones who aren't fully accepting of it and are reluctant towards it will struggle.

Our booster base and old money aren’t as engaged in the Vols anymore. You lose like we have for a decade and you lose fans. I don’t know if we have what it takes to take advantage the NIL to help us rebuild.

Reactions: Wireless1
Our booster base and old money aren’t as engaged in the Vols anymore. You lose like we have for a decade and you lose fans. I don’t know if we have what it takes to take advantage the NIL to help us rebuild.
I'll agree and disagree. I don't think we'll have the resources to get 7 figure deals (except for a Manning) but we have a ton of local businesses that will offer most recruits an attractive opportunity.

Reactions: kcvols1
I'll agree and disagree. I don't think we'll have the resources to get 7 figure deals (except for a Manning) but we have a ton of local businesses that will offer most recruits an attractive opportunity.

Local businesses are fine but Randy’s Fireworks won’t move the needle for difference makers. We need to get some of our guys a Fortnite deal or become something like a Nike ambassador. National brand recognition that doesn’t exactly cost a lot of money seems possible for our guys.

I heard on cleveland browns radio a few weeks back that haslams were not happy about what is happening at UT at all. they still very much care.

Local businesses are fine but Randy’s Fireworks won’t move the needle for difference makers. We need to get some of our guys a Fortnite deal or become something like a Nike ambassador. National brand recognition that doesn’t exactly cost a lot of money seems possible for our guys.
For football, but we might be in great shape for basketball, baseball, softball, track and swimming. I think with NIL endorsement Bone would have stayed another year.

Reactions: kcvols1
NIL is going to make it much more difficult for schools to get back to their previous top tier status. Gary Patterson is very blunt about his feelings in this article. Tennessee will have a permanent uphill battle going forward to get there.

TCU’s Gary Patterson warns boosters of SEC schools poaching his players with NIL deals
But players earned it if you ask them or those that came before them. A 4 year degree at the school with value of 50K-100K debt free is not enough. The day you sign your national letter you have a chance to change your life forever if you have finish with a degree while playing ball.

companies, businesses and individuals will opens themselves up to tax fraud. Schools will get in bidding wars for certain players and Tennessee has money to throw but has shown it will continue to play for second tier when it's time to pony up. Gone are the days of getting kids who sign NLI in jacuzzies for booster money.

I really don't believe it is going to change much. Teams can still only take a certain number of recruits. It seems like it only might be be a factor for small schools in the middle of nowhere like Central Michigan, Georgia Southern, Troy, etc. Schools like this would likely have a tougher time recruiting similar players against other schools in the conference. Like certainly Troy could stand lose some better recruits to UAB due better access to NIL deals. Central Michigan might stand to lose similar recruits to Toledo. But overall, I still doubt much changes. Players tend to go schools that match up with at least 2 of the following:

1. Where they can play, and play early.

2. Where they have a good relationship with the coaches.

3. Where they believe has the best chance to get them to the next level.

You can literally make money at any school.

I heard on cleveland browns radio a few weeks back that haslams were not happy about what is happening at UT at all. they still very much care.

WTF does Jimmy have to be displeased about?

They’re lucky to be outside of prison and sitting on a mound of BH cash and stock.

As the kids say… Sheesh!

If a kid who has D1 talent but does not have elite NFL talent gets recruited, they will go where the $ is highest 99% of the time. Some of these NILs are life changing for them and their families. A college education and receiving a degree are secondary most of the time, there are exceptions of course. NIL has changed the landscape forever now that it is ok to pay players openly under the guise if NIL. The top 10 universities will get richer with talent and when they win they make more money and thus stay in the elite top ten. The rest will struggle to get to the number 11 spot. I fear Tennessee with its lack of recent winning tradition and a generation of kids who have never seen them win, will forever be tier 2 or 3 in college football. Yes, we have good donors now, but donors will die, businesses will go under and their children wont necessarily be donors, because they will not have the loyalty or fandom of the Vols like the generation that saw them win under Majors and Fulmer.

Consult your tax professional but I believe out of state students are not considered residents of Tennessee
Becoming a state resident is very very easy. If you think that's going to hold back a million dollar bonus, think again. Besides, if you work in that state (NIL is a form of self-employment), and draw income from that sate, that automatically qualifies you for state tax benefits. Why would someone pay taxes in California for money that was paid by a Tennessee employer? Being a resident has nothing to do with earned wages in that state.

Last edited:
Becoming a state resident is very very easy. If you think that's going to hold back a million dollar bonus, think again. Afaik, if you work in that state (NIL is a form a work), and draw income from that sate, that automatically qualifies you for state tax benefits. Why would someone pay taxes in California for money that was paid by Tennessee? Being a resident has nothing to do with earned wages in that state.
Never lived in a state with state income taxes, have you? I can assure you from personal experience NC & PA collect taxes on out of state income. I suspect most others do especially CA.

If a kid who has D1 talent but does not have elite NFL talent gets recruited, they will go where the $ is highest 99% of the time. Some of these NILs are life changing for them and their families. A college education and receiving a degree are secondary most of the time, there are exceptions of course. NIL has changed the landscape forever now that it is ok to pay players openly under the guise if NIL. The top 10 universities will get richer with talent and when they win they make more money and thus stay in the elite top ten. The rest will struggle to get to the number 11 spot. I fear Tennessee with its lack of recent winning tradition and a generation of kids who have never seen them win, will forever be tier 2 or 3 in college football. Yes, we have good donors now, but donors will die, businesses will go under and their children wont necessarily be donors, because they will not have the loyalty or fandom of the Vols like the generation that saw them win under Majors and Fulmer.
This whole post assumes that the ROI on paying a player is high enough to be sustained indefinitely.

Like all markets, it will level out. I doubt we see many $1M deals in the future.

Never lived in a state with state income taxes, have you? I can assure you from personal experience NC & PA collect taxes on out of state income. I suspect most others do especially CA.
Having lived and worked in states with state income tax, they do not care where you earn it. They will still tax it.

Reactions: Lcfiredogg
Having lived and worked in states with state income tax, they do not care where you earn it. They will still tax it.
They do and you also get tax credit on that in your resident state. You have to file in your resident state, you're not going to pay taxes twice on the same income. I guess technically you do, but the credit evens the amount in most cases.

All this is really irrelevant because the only thing that needs to be done is to become a resident. There's no red tape stopping that from happening. Anyone can do it at anytime, you don't need visa to move to a different state and no one is loyal to a home state when a million dollar check is waiting in another state.

Last edited:
There are always bumps in the road when change occurs. From what I see here, Patterson is trying to get his boosters to step up more than whining about the big boys poaching his players. Outside of that, I really don't see anything that allows for coaches to openly and blatantly tamper with other rosters but kids are going to notice which schools have boosters that sponsor NIL deals and the schools that don't. Imo, Patterson is simply hoping to be able to announce a couple of 6 figure NIL deals.

Yea, that's what I took from the article also. Coach was telling the boosters to get their checkbooks out.

Reactions: Visiting Dawg

VN Store

Back