Nick Saban has been "warning us"

He is on top right now so fears any sort of a change that could eat into his talent advantage. The up-tempo offensive-based rules haven’t impacted them. It’s just forced him to shift to keep up with the times and he’s been able to do. I don’t think he is saying we will use NIL to beat everyone. He’s just complaining about it.
I actually feel as optimistic right now as I have in years. For one because we have an amazing coach. For two because we have an amazing AD. Our coach and AD are out in front on the NIL deal. And I am really starting to believe NIL is the answer to college football creating greater parity going forward. Having two or three teams on top every single year has been very bad for the sport. Maybe, just maybe NIL is going to give more schools an opportunity to land elite talent. This will be good for us and good for the sport in general. In years past we’d have had no chance at landing a quarterback like Nico. He would have went to one of the teams already on top which would give him the greatest opportunity at making money one day (nfl). That’s what Sabin’s entire recruiting pitch is. Statistically you have the best chance to get NFL money if you come to Alabama. But now with NIL, any school can offer the kid an opportunity to make money immediately. I believe it is a game changer

For years, Saban enjoyed a juggernaut on top talent and depth. Top recruits easy choice to win titles has been Bama under Saban. NIL brings lucrative incentives into the mix, with wider opportunity for exposure and compensation, rather than being buried in the three-deep at Bama.
Tennessee's wealthy donors and wild fan support can compete with anyone in this NIL game. I'm optimistic this will benefit UT.

I keep hearing this argument lately from people all around college football saying that everytime Nick Saban complains about changes in the sport like up-tempo offenses, the playoff, NIL etc. He's actually just warning everyone. His subtext is like "You will only give us MOOAR POWAH" Like he's Darth Sidious.

It's been bothering me. You know why?

It's not making them more powerful. They've just been that good and having an up-tempo offense, expanding the playoff, and paying players has nothing to do with their continued dominance.

You know what has everything to do about it?

Schools like Texas, USC, Miami, Florida State, Florida and TENNESSEE either sucking or being wildly inconsistent.

Clemson, Ohio State, LSU and Georgia have all won titles in the playoff era. Gee I wonder how they did it with Alabama just getting better and better despite Nick Sabans warnings!

Especially CLEMSON of all places! They were never a national power really. Yet somehow they did it during Alabama's reign of terror.

They were all able to do it because idk they weren't completely falling on their face with every decision they make from the administrative level down?

They aren't completely squandering all their resources at every turn?

College football changing has nothing to do with the bammers having a monopoly on college football.

Big schools like us have been LETTING them do it.

There has never been an era such as the one we have been in where all these traditional powers have all struggled this bad, for this long all at the same time!

If Texas, Florida State, Miami, Tennessee and USC had remained where they belonged, which us at or near the top of their leagues, they would not have however many titles they have because I don't care to keep count.

We all gotta step the hell up and look WE are starting to.

Look at what Heupel is doing right now. Not saying we are close to Bama right now. But ask yourself this, is the third Saturday in October getting any easier for them? I believe Nico Iamalevea was the number one target for Saban yes?

Hmm it's almost like Tennessee is starting to get competent again and already within a year the gap has closed considerably because we have people that understand how to drive a Ferrari.

Lincoln Riley out there at Southern Cal? Yeah they're getting some talent. Mario Cristobal at Miami. They will get some dudes over Bama.

My point is we can't keep looking at them like the death star. The death star only exists because the entire jedi council let their guard down internally and they fell on their face.

I dont want to hear about "oh gosh bama's gonna beat us all at NIL, they are going to get all the best transfers woe is me woe is Nick Saban warned us, what are we gonna do!"

We ain't gonna let them. That's what we are going to do.

We gotta Tony Vitello the umpire, stare those bammersright in their toothless faces and punch them in the mouth is what we gotta do.

Stop fearing them. Get smart. Be competent. Punch them in the mouth like Clemson, Georgia, LSU and Ohio State did.
Clemson had some bag men and sorta slid in under the radar when Bowden was coaching. ACC needed a bell cow and Ol’ golly gee whiz dabo didn’t draw much attention. They played it right and timed it right. Hopefully, the chickens are coming home to roost over there…

He is on top right now so fears any sort of a change that could eat into his talent advantage. The up-tempo offensive-based rules haven’t impacted them. It’s just forced him to shift to keep up with the times and he’s been able to do. I don’t think he is saying we will use NIL to beat everyone. He’s just complaining about it.
I actually feel as optimistic right now as I have in years. For one because we have an amazing coach. For two because we have an amazing AD. Our coach and AD are out in front on the NIL deal. And I am really starting to believe NIL is the answer to college football creating greater parity going forward. Having two or three teams on top every single year has been very bad for the sport. Maybe, just maybe NIL is going to give more schools an opportunity to land elite talent. This will be good for us and good for the sport in general. In years past we’d have had no chance at landing a quarterback like Nico. He would have went to one of the teams already on top which would give him the greatest opportunity at making money one day (nfl). That’s what Sabin’s entire recruiting pitch is. Statistically you have the best chance to get NFL money if you come to Alabama. But now with NIL, any school can offer the kid an opportunity to make money immediately. I believe it is a game changer
And that is why nickie putin put it out there that bummer players have been paid 1.7 billion during his tenure. Nick getting nervous because the paying field - not playing field has been equaled. Sorry nick.

I agree with the Saban warned us crowd involving NIL, up tempo offenses, and the transfer portal. All of those things make the rich, richer.

But what a lot of UT fans don't realize is that we are the rich. We have been #1 or at the worst top five in recruiting budget for over a decade now (probably longer I just don't know if anyone has the data to confirm). We have a massive fan base and our state isn't divided between multiple teams like Bama/Auburn, Florida/FSU/Miami, etc.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I keep hearing this argument lately from people all around college football saying that everytime Nick Saban complains about changes in the sport like up-tempo offenses, the playoff, NIL etc. He's actually just warning everyone. His subtext is like "You will only give us MOOAR POWAH" Like he's Darth Sidious.

It's not making them more powerful. They've just been that good and having an up-tempo offense, expanding the playoff, and paying players has nothing to do with their continued dominance.

Schools like Texas, USC, Miami, Florida State, Florida and TENNESSEE either sucking or being wildly inconsistent.

Clemson, Ohio State, LSU and Georgia have all won titles in the playoff era. Gee I wonder how they did it with Alabama just getting better and better despite Nick Sabans warnings!

Especially CLEMSON of all places! They were never a national power really. Yet somehow they did it during Alabama's reign of terror.

They were all able to do it because idk they weren't completely falling on their face with every decision they make from the administrative level down?

College football changing has nothing to do with the bammers having a monopoly on college football.

There has never been an era such as the one we have been in where all these traditional powers have all struggled this bad, for this long all at the same time!

If Texas, Florida State, Miami, Tennessee and USC had remained where they belonged, which us at or near the top of their leagues, they would not have however many titles they have because I don't care to keep count.

Look at what Heupel is doing right now. Not saying we are close to Bama right now. But ask yourself this, is the third Saturday in October getting any easier for them? I believe Nico Iamalevea was the number one target for Saban yes?

Hmm it's almost like Tennessee is starting to get competent again and already within a year the gap has closed considerably because we have people that understand how to drive a Ferrari.

Lincoln Riley out there at Southern Cal? Yeah they're getting some talent. Mario Cristobal at Miami. They will get some dudes over Bama.

My point is we can't keep looking at them like the death star. The death star only exists because the entire jedi council let their guard down internally and they fell on their face.

I dont want to hear about "oh gosh bama's gonna beat us all at NIL, they are going to get all the best transfers woe is me woe is Nick Saban warned us, what are we gonna do!"

We gotta Tony Vitello the umpire, stare those bammersright in their toothless faces and punch them in the mouth is what we gotta do.

Stop fearing thelm. Get smart. Be competent. Punch them in the mouth like Clemson, Georgia, LSU and Ohio State did.

They were able to beat Bama by also having excellent coaching, consistently great recruiting, and developing talent. Success creates more success. If you want a great chance of going to the NFL look at what these teams have done. Bama last year and Georgia this year

Stop fearing them. Get smart. Be competent. Punch them in the mouth like Clemson, Georgia, LSU and Ohio State did.
Great points and dead on. Bama took advantage and filled the gap and won however many. I made similar points talking to TN Titans, how they have failed to take advantage of my Colts being down since 14 and the Vols being down for 20 years and they still have no title while still not being THE team in Tn and that the window of opportunity is closing or has closed. Bama has feasted on the downtimes of all these former powerhouses. Titans have not, thank goodness.

My opinion on Saban's rants is if its a rule change or something being run by other teams he doesn't like and wants to stop it then that means its hurting his team so you should do it. He is right on the NIL stuff getting totally out of control but then again that's going to hurt his recruiting so if your not AL then its good.

iu

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
I think the one time transfer rule is the real game changer for the teams who are stocking 4/5*(s) 3 deep, the NIL is just icing on that cake that is enticing these bench warming 4/5*(s) too not be willing to ride the pine as long.

I'm going to say recruiting has everything to do with it. No one has had corners who could match up with Bama's receivers in the last decade. Some of their receivers were 6 *s

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
Every program has down cycles, going thru several coaches before finding one that works. Ours has lasted so long due to dysfunctional athletic depts. Bama had their consecutive bad years with DuBose, Franchione, Price, and Shula (the same AD that hired the latter 3 hired Saban). Ours was Kiffin, Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt. Bama had 4 consecutive bad coaches, we've had 4 bad coaches.

Notre Dame struggled before Brian Kelly took over but really haven't been national contenders since Holtz.

USC was only relevant in the last 40 years while Pete Carroll was there.

UF has struggled since Meyer, but had better coaches than UT.

Texas had a short uptick with Mack Brown (who they ran off), but not really a consistent power since Daryl Royal.

Miami hasn't done squat in over 25 years.

Florida St. is in a down cycle. Maybe they have their guy, maybe not.

The two most consistent programs during the last 30 years: OU and tOSU. I would contend they've been somewhat lucky vs. really good at hiring coaching talent. I would also contend that UGA got lucky with Smart. He could have been another Pruitt. Hiring a coach that can turn a floundering program around is a crap shoot, and it seems most schools, even the top programs, seem to roll snake eyes more often than 7's.
Wasn’t Florida mostly irrelevant until the 80’s? Florida State also, may be totally off but were they an all female institution as well early on and mostly also irrelevant until Bowden got there?

Reactions: SpookyAction
Wasn’t Florida mostly irrelevant until the 80’s? Florida State also, may be totally off but were they an all female institution as well early on and mostly also irrelevant until Bowden got there?
All of the Florida schools have become relevant since the sport fully integrated in the early 70's, before that they hadn't been much more than a very occasional blip.

Screenshot_20220423-015545-320.pngYou are right that Florida really started being a consistent problem in the 80's and then big time when Spurrier came in 1990. Before that, Florida actually won the SEC in 1984 but it was vacated due to cheating. Then they would have won it and gone to the Sugar Bowl instead of us in 1985 because they beat us but they had a bowl ban. Then they would have won it again in 1990 but were ineligible again due to more cheating (we blew them out that year but they still had a better conference record).

Last edited:
I agree with the Saban warned us crowd involving NIL, up tempo offenses, and the transfer portal. All of those things make the rich, richer.

But what a lot of UT fans don't realize is that we are the rich. We have been #1 or at the worst top five in recruiting budget for over a decade now (probably longer I just don't know if anyone has the data to confirm). We have a massive fan base and our state isn't divided between multiple teams like Bama/Auburn, Florida/FSU/Miami, etc.

Tennessee has always been along the top when $ is involved. It’s when “people” are factored in is when Tennessee fell to the bottom.Some of the worst hires in SEC history have occurred in Knoxville once 2007. Maybe now Tennessee has a good group of “people” leading the programs & AD.

I really didn't like the NIL at first and am still not a great proponent of the NIL. I think the main difference is the teams whose Admin was OK with doing all possible even cheating without being caught were at the top. All teams with so many reps were cheating somewhere in the organization but teams that had perfected it and had some good ole boys in the SEC Birmingham office had the upper hand. Now that it is legal to buy players not just you're sleazy hanger on's buying them, Now lawyers set up these Collectives, and if you have all you're Ducks in a row and $$$ you can compete openly. I do think they will tweak the NIL if some of the wrong teams start showing up too high. TV revenue is the main objective and Oh yeah these young men's education is paramount.

NIL creates a wider gap between haves and have nots. It should also result in more top tier haves. Make no mistake. Sagan’s whining is nothing more than fear that NIL will result in more competition. He won’t have exclusive claim to the nations best players like before. Nico was a wake up call. He figured one of the top 4 QBs would be his. Now he’s nervous
100% agree! If anybody thinks Saban cares about the sport, they’re fooling themselves. He cares about about talent because that is the only thing that makes him that successful.

Saban just hates it when people butt in on his private auctions for players. He's where he's at because of stockpiling insane amounts of talent. This puts some doubt in his mind that he can continue to do that. It's a good thing.. We're all tired of Bama basically being a semipro team and watching them in every playoff that ever existed. Maybe the old cheating azzhole will retire soon. Sick of him.

VN Store

Back