NFL executive says former Vols WR Jalin Hyatt is 'naive'

And it wasn’t because ONE DUDE didn’t like his interview. More likely (as I expressed after his Combine 40) it’s due to him being a slighter speed guy who didn’t post a 4.2 or 4.3 time in shorts. Something that will never be timed again. He’ll earn or not everything from here on out where it really counts. Developing a science around the glorified dog and pony show that is the Combine is an exercise in futility imo.
One dude who can talk to other teams at the combine.
All I’m saying is he’s “confidence” didn’t help his draft case

One dude who can talk to other teams at the combine.
All I’m saying is he’s “confidence” didn’t help his draft case
Didn’t affect it one way or the other. Team that listens to GOSSIP from a yenta working for the Cowboys isn’t worth playing for.

Hyatt's "subpar times" in the three-cone drill and short shuttle at UT's Pro Day "amplified concerns that he lacks the agility to develop into a well-rounded route runner".

This is the big takeaway a lot of people missed from the combine. his 40 time was good but not like insane. 4.4 is not rare in the NFL anymore and it has to come with some wiggle. If he was a 4.3 guy the route-running concerns are less. Think about this DK Metcalf who is a jumbo-sized freaking alien had similar numbers on agility drills is 70 pounds of muscle bigger and 3 inches taller and ran a 4.33 dropped to the bottom of the second round.

I for one hope Jalin balls out and makes a lot of people feel silly. I'd be happy to eat that crow. But he is the rule he is the gimmick. Every other WR on the team ran actual routes on a regular basis. Most of Jalin's catches came from play design. He aint catching a ball with someone jamming him off the line or making a sweet double move to get a clean release. He mostly ran by mismatched safeties. Can he do more? Who knows? he had 1 good season that not a thing to go in peacocking about as a 3 rounder. He is in a prime position to ball out if he keeps his head down and in that playbook. In that offense with Barkley, he is gonna have opportunities. If he can get on the field. The Giants is not a good spot to go in all aggro before you produce that city will eat him alive..

Reactions: TrojanorVol
He won a national award my guy… all the others have been 1st round picks besides James Washington and that’s because he went to osu… technically a gimmicky offense
You mean the same thing they call our offense? So you admitted the one who didn't get drafted in the 1st played in a gimmicky offense and they call ours "gimmicky" yet the reason he slid is because of him saying something back to a WR coach who was out of line?

If you went to a job interview and they said, "You can only do one thing. You're a one trick pony", are you just going to say, "You're probably right"?

Reactions: butchna
You mean the same thing they call our offense? So you admitted the one who didn't get drafted in the 1st played in a gimmicky offense and they call ours "gimmicky" yet the reason he slid is because of him saying something back to a WR coach who was out of line?

If you went to a job interview and they said, "You can only do one thing. You're a one trick pony", are you just going to say, "You're probably right"?
Yea I was showing a similar person and maybe a reason why. I like to give both sides and reason of possibly why

Reactions: Pennheel and pimo1
I mean… I think when you are at a job interview you do your best to have some humility… everything is a test for these nfl guys. Reaction, demeanor, presence all matters. The second I saw that cowboys coach interview i said “welp that’s not good”
it’s the NFL.. the best job in the world.. be humble when answering questions no matter what they are

It was just a little banter between player and coach. Happens every day. Lighten up Francis.

I thought he would benefit from another year in college but he made his choice.
He just signed for $5.6M. I'd say he made a pretty good decision.

Besides, it comes down to the question of.... does he think he can improve his measurables? On field results matter less than a lot of us seem to think.

If he went to the combine healthy and in shape, there's no reason to risk another year on the off-chance he can knock another tenth off his 40.

Besides, it comes down to the question of.... does he think he can improve his measurables? On field results matter less than a lot of us seem to think.

If he went to the combine healthy and in shape, there's no reason to risk another year on the off-chance he can knock another tenth off his 40.
Or he could have made significant NIL money, repeated his stats, improved his route running, worked on his shuttle or other measurables, and ended up higher in the draft... He could have recouped his deal plus some.

There are always risks in those decisions. I remember when Heath Shuler decided to leave early. He was overjoyed to be picked high in the draft by his favorite team. His agent held out for more money and his career went downhill from there.

Other guys have returned to improve their draft stock and either had a bad year or an injury.

I think another year in college would have improved his body and his draft status. He made his choice. I sincerely hope it works out well.

It was just a little banter between player and coach. Happens every day. Lighten up Francis.

Its is unquestionable that barring him getting injury Hyatt could have done with another year of college. If he'd had more on tape he wouldn't have fell to the third round but as is he is a 1 trick pony and that trick aint gonna fly in the NFL. He had an insane year but people forget that most of his stats came from 1 game. Sure he signed a 3 year 5.6 mil how much more would he have made if he'd played another year and went first round? Also, note this was a year of smurfs in the draft at the WR position.. he had nothing that set himself apart from most of the other top WR's except that Bilitnekoff. This coming year he would have stood out more and maybe he could have had chances to prove he can run routes or play special teams.

I am trying really hard to remember a WR that was just a deep threat nothing else and did something in the NFL.... and before someone comes posting some random names... I bet everyone you post will be a guy that returned kicks/[punts also and made the team via special teams. Jaylin Hyatt in 3 years never recorded a single special teams stat...which seems odd considering he was not a starter until this past season.

...and the Cowboys are not amongst the group of well run organizations if priority is placed on being a great team (winning) rather than simply the value of the organization. The Cowboys ownership and executive team can market. They just can't build a championship level football team.
With Daniel Jones at QB please not happening
Facts. Not to mention they got 2 CB's that PFF graded top 10 last year plus a rookie slot CB that finished 2nd in Int's. Daniel Jones is more likely to throw them 5 ints before he throws 5TD's to Hyatt.

Reactions: knoxvol52
There will be another article about some wide receivers not having enough confidence to play in the league. It will say to be a great WR in the league you've got to be arrogant and cocky or you'll just be another stiff. More clicks will ensue and then another article where you have to be................

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
confidence is great, arrogance is not. I am pulling for Hyatt to have a fantastic career but he will learn very quickly how to be a pro or how to find a day job. The best work relentlessly at all spects of their game and as long as he does that I feel his future is bright. If he thinks he will just outrun everyone he needs to go back and re-watch the UGA game. That is easy work compared to an NFL secondary.

Or he could have made significant NIL money, repeated his stats, improved his route running, worked on his shuttle or other measurables, and ended up higher in the draft... He could have recouped his deal plus some.

There are always risks in those decisions. I remember when Heath Shuler decided to leave early. He was overjoyed to be picked high in the draft by his favorite team. His agent held out for more money and his career went downhill from there.

Other guys have returned to improve their draft stock and either had a bad year or an injury.

I think another year in college would have improved his body and his draft status. He made his choice. I sincerely hope it works out well.

haha. Are you suggesting Shuler made a mistake by leaving to get drafted 3rd overall?

Its is unquestionable that barring him getting injury Hyatt could have done with another year of college. If he'd had more on tape he wouldn't have fell to the third round but as is he is a 1 trick pony and that trick aint gonna fly in the NFL. He had an insane year but people forget that most of his stats came from 1 game. Sure he signed a 3 year 5.6 mil how much more would he have made if he'd played another year and went first round? Also, note this was a year of smurfs in the draft at the WR position.. he had nothing that set himself apart from most of the other top WR's except that Bilitnekoff. This coming year he would have stood out more and maybe he could have had chances to prove he can run routes or play special teams.

I am trying really hard to remember a WR that was just a deep threat nothing else and did something in the NFL.... and before someone comes posting some random names... I bet everyone you post will be a guy that returned kicks/[punts also and made the team via special teams. Jaylin Hyatt in 3 years never recorded a single special teams stat...which seems odd considering he was not a starter until this past season.
An extra year of growth and development would help any college player.

But would it improve his draft stock?

Meh.

He's not going to magically expand his route tree under this offense. And as far as on-field performance goes, some regression isn't unlikely.... especially without Hooker throwing to him.

As for the question of measurables, he went through the combine at 21, in shape and healthy. Is it possible he gets faster? Maybe. Is it worth the risk? He and his family clearly thought it was not.

Either way, it seems silly to debate something so subjective. And claiming it is "unquestionable" is even more ridiculous.

Last edited:
An extra year of growth and development would help any college player.

But would it improve his draft stock?

Meh.

He's not going to magically expand his route tree under this offense. And as far as on-field performance goes, some regression isn't unlikely.... especially without Hooker throwing to him.

As for the question of measurables, he went through the combine at 21, in shape and healthy. Is it possible he gets faster? Maybe. Is it worth the risk? He and his family clearly thought it was not.

Either way, it seems silly to debate something so subjective. And claiming it is "unquestionable" is even more ridiculous.
Last year he broke out he could have easily polished up route running because every other WR on the team ran routes but him. No one questioned Tillman's route running in the draft..Bru ran routes Keyton ran routes even Squirrel ran routes. All of those guys lined up regularly against press coverage and had to beat one on ones. Tape does not lie. I don't think Hyatt didn't run routes because he flat-out couldn't it's just they had guys for that and found what he was best at and maximized that. So yes It would have definitely improved his draft stock to be more polished and have a whole extra year of tape. He'd also have another year in the weight room to put on some much-needed size.

As far as Milton over Hooker, given their skill sets, Milton is a better match for Hyatt. Joe Milton threw 10 TDs last season most of them were bombs. The only game that Hyatt played snaps with Milton was Vandy which was rained out but even then he hit him 3 times for 86 yards. In the other games, Milton was in with the backups and Hyatt skipped the bowl game.

I will say he is falling into a great situation so Im not sure the draft would have worked out as well for him as far as the best team for his playstyle if he went 1st or 2nd round next year. He is a major fear factor with Saquon Barkley in the backfield and play action plus the threat of Daniel Jones taking off on you. I can't imagine a better team fit for him when it comes to roster and playstyle. So he will have the opportunity to shine if he can break into the depth chart.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back