Neyland Stadium

TheManFromTenn

Live in GA but have a home in Copperhill
Why isn’t Neyland a HUGE home field advantage? It doesn’t seem like it has been for decades…

I was there in 1996 at the gator/ Vol game and they just kicked our ass… pretty much been that way since I can remember…
what gives?

Why isn’t Neyland a HUGE home field advantage? It doesn’t seem like it has been for decades…

I was there in 1996 at the gator/ Vol game and they just kicked our ass… pretty much been that way since I can remember…
what gives?
And let me say I’ve been there many times since’96 it just stands out as representative of what I am saying

They need to tear it down and build something with a retractable roof to hold the sound in and smoky gray turf so the players will be better motivated. Also need four jumbotrons so people don’t have to twist their necks to watch replays, better WiFi, and at least quadruple toilet capacity. Do all that and win some meaningful games and things will get rocking.

They need to tear it down and build something with a retractable roof to hold the sound in and smoky gray turf so the players will be better motivated. Also need four jumbotrons so people don’t have to twist their necks to watch replays, better WiFi, and at least quadruple toilet capacity. Do all that and win some meaningful games and things will get rocking.
Oh sure, a billion dollars should do it.

what gives?
The crowd contributed enough energy and noise during the PITT game. The team has to match the intensity . The home field advantage is better when the team is good.

Neyland is the best I've ever been at, it is everything you want it to be when things are right. It has been 16 years of some pretty bad decisions and product on the field and somehow we still put 80 or 90 thousand everytime. No better place to be when we win!

Without a doubt, no question at all! That said, the crowd noise only goes so far. It may be able to tip the scales in the good guys' favor sometimes, but as we've seen it can go the other way as well (when an on-field mistake/misstep or four suck the air and energy right out of the masses in the stadium). Good teams capitalize on the advantages bestowed by their home turf regularly. Great teams win in spite of other teams' home field advantages on the regular by playing well and sucking the air out of those hostile environments. The Vols have a ways to go before they're the former, and have made a lot of opposing teams look "great" within the confines of Neyland Stadium through unforced errors, questionable playcalling, etc. But man...when things click, and the Vols win...Neyland is a fine place to plant one's hindquarters for a few hours on a Saturday.

what gives?
You must not have been at the UT-OU game in 2015. The fans consistently show up while the football team cant seem to get a big win.

Neyland has not had a lot of crowd noise lately. In fact, in the past few seasons everyone seems to be heading to the gates at halftime. The fans are pretty beat down.

Reactions: knoxvol16
I love the Vols, but if you've traveled to other SEC schools, and if you were completely objective about stadiums, Neyland is worn down and in great need of refurbishment and upgrade.

However, the stadium isn't necessarily the same thing as the atmosphere, and the atmosphere just isn't what it was 20 years ago. If you were there when the Vols were on the rise during those glory days, then you know what I mean. It's nowhere near what it used to be.

I love the Vols, but if you've traveled to other SEC schools, and if you were completely objective about stadiums, Neyland is worn down and in great need of refurbishment and upgrade.

However, the stadium isn't necessarily the same thing as the atmosphere, and the atmosphere just isn't what it was 20 years ago. If you were there when the Vols were on the rise during those glory days, then you know what I mean. It's nowhere near what it used to be.
. 1999 Notre Dame and 1998 Florida and Arkansas game I was there and the atmosphere was electric and crazy. Miss those game day experiences at Neyland

Simple, because Tennessee football isn’t what it used to be. It’s a shell, a cheap knockoff that doesn’t work half as good. I don’t think you’ll see Neyland at capacity for a long while, and if you do, it’ll be because other SEC fans fill up the seats. You can’t constantly put out awful football teams and expect people to show up for it.

Winning cures all. Having a dynamic offense or a special player can boost enthusiasm. Prior to consistently winning, certain coaches could sell tickets by themselves. Example, Kiffin or Freeze would have had Neyland near capacity last Saturday. I'm not endorsing either coach as a better choice than Heupel, merely stating what I believe.

Mostly because the fans run out of steam after the first series or two. Great intensity when the game starts and at a key moment or two during the game, but pretty lame the rest of the time. Part of that is on the lack of a competitive team over the years, but that excuse doesn't hold water when a little extra noise might make the difference in close games like Saturday.

. 1999 Notre Dame and 1998 Florida and Arkansas game I was there and the atmosphere was electric and crazy. Miss those game day experiences at Neyland

Oklahoma 2015 was the closest I had seen it to those days . . . but that was inside the stadium. There's so much build-up to the game where the campus, the strip, and surrounding areas are amp'ed up, which still wasn't what it was like 20 years ago.

Oklahoma 2015 was the closest I had seen it to those days . . . but that was inside the stadium. There's so much build-up to the game where the campus, the strip, and surrounding areas are amp'ed up, which still wasn't what it was like 20 years ago.
. I was at the Oklahoma game too that was one of the loudest crowds in Neyland for that game the fans were pretty hyped up and juiced for that one and there was a great pregame atmosphere too bad we lost.

what gives?
The stadium and the atmosphere and the crowd noise isn’t the problem

VN Store

Back