Neyland Stadium South End Zone Renovations

Uh, you can do both. They need concourse space around the stadium. The west side has none as there is a road. UT had endless opportunities to get land when it was cheap and plentiful but didn’t. Fulton Bellows property? Downtown?

So, you really think it’s a good idea to tear down one building and build another larger one right up against a stadium? Seriously?

The College of Engineering has more that doubled in enrollment in the past 10 years and needs new buildings. They just lost two, Estabrook and Pasqua. Where do you propose to build the replacement buildings on campus? Seriously, where can you find vacant space on campus near the other engineering buildings?

Estabrook existed for decades in it's location without any impact on football. What serious issues will the new building have on football? How many wins and tickets sold will the new engineering building cost the football program?

Imagine what a great tailgating area the Hill would be. Doze all of the buildings there plus Alumni gym and you'd a great view of the stadium for the 7-8 days a year that football occurs on. And the Humanities Plaza and Library should be taken out for more convenient parking and Haslam leveled for a helipad. Remodel the west end dorms into luxury condos and hotels. You're right, what a great game day experience could be created if all of these meaningless academic and other buildings were removed.
Will there be ponies to ride?

I don't think it has to be that low but let's be honest. It's a 100k capacity crammed into a 90k space.
I would gladly pay more per seat to make up the difference in exchange for a reasonable width of real estate on the bleachers. Better yet, go pro-style and put chair back seats in throughout.

I would gladly pay more per seat to make up the difference in exchange for a reasonable width of real estate on the bleachers. Better yet, go pro-style and put chair back seats in throughout.
At some point, something's got to give with the interior of the stadium.

Reactions: JacketVol
The College of Engineering has more that doubled in enrollment in the past 10 years and needs new buildings. They just lost two, Estabrook and Pasqua. Where do you propose to build the replacement buildings on campus? Seriously, where can you find vacant space on campus near the other engineering buildings?

Estabrook existed for decades in it's location without any impact on football. What serious issues will the new building have on football? How many wins and tickets sold will the new engineering building cost the football program?
Utilize the Cherokee campus. Plenty of vacant space. Who says they have to be near the main campus?
The existence of estabrook definitely affected access to the stadium. Getting people in and out of Neyland is a major issue due to so many accessing on the West side.

If you do that, capacity will really drop. Do we want an 80,000 seat stadium?

I really like Pruitt as a coach. Best hire this University has done in a looooong time
I like him too.....but surely by looooooong time you only mean in the last 5 years since Rick Barnes and Tony Vitello were hired.

Utilize the Cherokee campus. Plenty of vacant space. Who says they have to be near the main campus?
The existence of estabrook definitely affected access to the stadium. Getting people in and out of Neyland is a major issue due to so many accessing on the West side.
Nothing will draw potential great engineering students to UT better than placing them at a remote satellite location in the interest of stadium foot traffic seven times a year.

Nothing will draw potential great engineering students to UT better than placing them at a remote satellite location in the interest of stadium foot traffic seven times a year.
Remote? LOL
It’s within eye sight of the main campus.

We Baby Boomers were a big part of filling Neyland and other stadiums. We're dying off and fewer are physically able to deal with football Saturdays like we used to. Very few Power Five stadiums are being sold out regularly. That includes the ones that only seat 60-70 thousand. Empty seats for any SEC game in Knoxville, Gainesville, Athens and Auburn used to be a rarity. Now it is common. Either downsizing is in our future or we'll just have to settle for the occasional sellout. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: EarlVolFan
I don't think it has to go anywhere near that low, but I think it's worth losing some seats to bring the stadium up to date before it gets left in the dust.

I prefer winning games, keeping capacity (and attendance) at over 100k, and not replicating an inferior Sanford Stadium....
giphy.gif

I don't know about 80, but something has to change. Designs and amenities have changed dramatically since Neyland was envisioned. People are also both taller and rounder than previous decades. It's just not comfortable to squeeze into the bleachers.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back