Neyland Stadium South End Zone Renovations

Honestly, I did try to find that years ago but haven't googled for it in a long time. Supposedly, the plans for expansion and court proceedings began in the 80's and it took many years for it to finally happen. Seems to me I heard about it when I attended my first game in Neyland. I was amazed at the stadium. Had never seen anything like it before. That was in '90 and that was when I first heard about it.
I've heard so many different versions of that story over the past 35+ years but have never seen one word in print about it. Not saying it isn't true but seems more urban legend than anything.

Neyland does have better atmosphere but I really wish we hadn't gotten hung up on seating capacity 20-30 years ago. It'd be a better experience if the capacity was a little lower. The concourses can't handle it and the seats are ridiculous in places.

You're right though. Places like UGA, Auburn and SC feel a little cookie cutter.

I say we go futuristic and stack the upper seats in towards the field like Oregon’s stadium. Except bigger and higher capacity. I don’t want anyone to be able to hear a thingz

I understand, but the days of 100K stadiums in college football are over. We can’t sell the seats in the south endzone now, so how do you justify spending the money to renovate it?

You're right, Alabama just expanded to over 100, and Kyle Field is in process of being 116. Michigan is also expanding.

#itsover

And I think all will regret it.

Our current political climate has ensured that Alabama's economy is great again, further, trucks are being bought left and right, mothers are marrying sons and raising babies...life is good.

Texas AM students are hypnotized

You might want to check your facts. Alabama’s last expansion was in 2010 and they are REMOVING SEATS in order to put in a large video board and likely will have LESS than 100K seats.

Bryant-Denny Stadium capacity to be reduced, Coleman Coliseum will see massive renovation - al.com

...and neither is Michigan or A&M expanding their stadiums, in fact Michigan reduced their capacity in 2015.

U-M Announces New Seating Capacity for Michigan Stadium - University of Michigan Athletics

You're right, Alabama just expanded to over 100, and Kyle Field is in process of being 116. Michigan is also expanding.

#itsover

Reactions: BUBear and Bash
You might want to check your facts. Alabama’s last expansion was in 2010 and they are REMOVING SEATS in order to put in a large video board and likely will have LESS than 100K seats.

Bryant-Denny Stadium capacity to be reduced, Coleman Coliseum will see massive renovation - al.com

...and neither is Michigan or A&M expanding their stadiums, in fact Michigan reduced their capacity in 2015.

U-M Announces New Seating Capacity for Michigan Stadium - University of Michigan Athletics

Apologies about the 116, the number i incorrectly recalled was 115.

Texas A&M Football: School Plans to Expand Kyle Field To 115,000 Seats—Largest in Nation

Seems plans changed. Unreal that nearly 10 years has passed since that article.

As far as Michigan goes. Ive read about the reduction of about 3000 seats, ive also read some recent material saying the plans in the '20's are to make it largest stadium in the world now that some stadium in NK reduced capacity. We'll see if that happens.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Here is a plus for Neyland when compared to Bryant Denny.

Background story - I have only been to 1 game at Bryant Denny and I had to leave at half time because my youngest son, about 7 years old at the time, just happened to have a fever hit him and he was melting down. That was the game we won in 5 OT's.

My other son, found us some tickets, about 10 rows up on the 50 yard line. Pretty good seats I thought. However it dawned on me I was quite a ways from the field.
Difference in Neyland and Bryant Denny is the oval shape the stadium rows take. Some Google Earth measurments will illustrate.

In Neyland, you are 23 yards from the sideline when 10 rows up on the 50:
1561558709247.png

Bryant Denny, a little different - Same row, you are about 40 yards away from the sideline.

1561558840700.png
This means the crowd in Neyland is more "on top of you", not that it really makes that much difference.

I've said it before, but with Neyland Stadium's competition being state of the art man caves with posh leather chairs, kegerators, beer fridges and multiple flat screens showing every SEC game in progress....oh, and my own clean bathroom... they should yank out the metal bleachers, put in actual chairs with seat backs, cup holders and leg room throughout the whole stadium. Keep the upper decks. Bring back "Third down for whut?" No, just kidding on that one.

I've said it before, but with Neyland Stadium's competition being state of the art man caves with posh leather chairs, kegerators, beer fridges and multiple flat screens showing every SEC game in progress....oh, and my own clean bathroom... they should yank out the metal bleachers, put in actual chairs with seat backs, cup holders and leg room throughout the whole stadium. Keep the upper decks. Bring back "Third down for whut?" No, just kidding on that one.
Lol
You can always wizz in the bathtub to get the feel of being in the stadium!

I believe Deerpark said a few years ago that if Neyland had all chairbacks it would hold about 80,000. You would need to basically re-build the stadium because the rows are too narrow for chairbacks. Chairbacks would mean fewer rows and fewer seats per row, thus the reduction.

Being mad at the Titans for calling themselves the Tennessee Titans when A. Tennesseans decided on the name and B. The team is located in the large, capital city of the state of Tennessee is peak stupid.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
There are construction constraints based on existing conditions, that could appear to be doing it half-assed. Estabrook Hall and the Alumni Gym were obstacles they had to work around when building the upper deck.
Texas A&M didn't do it half-assed. Here is what they did, and I don't see that happening at Neyland any time soon:

They tore down estabrook and they are building two new buildings that will be jammed right up against Neyland. Beyond stupid.

Reactions: ptcarter
They tore down estabrook and they are building two new buildings that will be jammed right up against Neyland. Beyond stupid.

Its not two buildings, just one. And Estabrook was there decades before Shields-Watkins / Neyland. The athletic department chose to build a stadium that close to an existing building. And exactly how does having Estabrook or the new building there impact Neyland?

I see water every day in my shower and my toilet, so when I visit Neyland for a game, I want to see Orange, LOTS of Orange.

Its not two buildings, just one. And Estabrook was there decades before Shields-Watkins / Neyland. The athletic department chose to build a stadium that close to an existing building. And exactly how does having Estabrook or the new building there impact Neyland?

Correct. The rendering look like two buildings.
A0B77DF5-056B-4F5B-8A73-A4C7F3FFAF0F.jpeg
There was no way to predict the massive size of Neyland when the original land was chosen. UTs enrollment was around 1000 students.
Estabrook was a mess with no redeeming architectural value. It only made sense to doze it and use that land as a new monumental entrance from the river side. But no. You already have the new tickle building there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ptcarter
Correct. The rendering look like two buildings.
View attachment 211143
There was no way to predict the massive size of Neyland when the original land was chosen. UTs enrollment was around 1000 students.
Estabrook was a mess with no redeeming architectural value. It only made sense to doze it and use that land as a new monumental entrance from the river side. But no. You already have the new tickle building there as well.
Here's a shot of what the land looked like during initial construction. Click on picture to see full size. Yes, Estabrook was right there, not harming anyone...lol

Shields_1921.JPG

Reactions: spyfish007
Imagine what a great tailgating area the Hill would be. Doze all of the buildings there plus Alumni gym and you'd a great view of the stadium for the 7-8 days a year that football occurs on. And the Humanities Plaza and Library should be taken out for more convenient parking and Haslam leveled for a helipad. Remodel the west end dorms into luxury condos and hotels. You're right, what a great game day experience could be created if all of these meaningless academic and other buildings were removed.

Reactions: jackaro
There are construction constraints based on existing conditions, that could appear to be doing it half-assed. Estabrook Hall and the Alumni Gym were obstacles they had to work around when building the upper deck.
Texas A&M didn't do it half-assed. Here is what they did, and I don't see that happening at Neyland any time soon:

That was fun to watch hahaha

Imagine what a great tailgating area the Hill would be. Doze all of the buildings there plus Alumni gym and you'd a great view of the stadium for the 7-8 days a year that football occurs on. And the Humanities Plaza and Library should be taken out for more convenient parking and Haslam leveled for a helipad. Remodel the west end dorms into luxury condos and hotels. You're right, what a great game day experience could be created if all of these meaningless academic and other buildings were removed.
Uh, you can do both. They need concourse space around the stadium. The west side has none as there is a road. UT had endless opportunities to get land when it was cheap and plentiful but didn’t. Fulton Bellows property? Downtown?

So, you really think it’s a good idea to tear down one building and build another larger one right up against a stadium? Seriously?

VN Store

Back