Neyland Stadium South End Zone Renovations

Ever since the Oilers moved to Tennessee our attendance has suffered. People who would regularly come to games from Nashville now have to decide between spending their money on The Vols or The Titans. Instead of knocking out a section of Neyland I’d rather see that team move out of state so we are the only show in the state.
And here I thought it was because we have sucked goin on 12 yrs and all this time it was the Oilers/Titans fault. Who knew ?

The north end was open air bleachers when I was there and the south end seating was built to be offices for professors.
And dorms for athletes. However one of the reasons I don’t go to all games is that at eighty years old I cannot put up with standing in line for 10 minutes to go use the urinal while standing in urine all over the floor. The game of football is much more exciting in person, but it is much more sanitary watching at home on TV. With the likelihood of beer being sold during games, the problem will only get worse if the South end zone is not renovated. If you don’t mind the filth, get your tickets in the South end zone

I was looking over some of the potential renderings for the south endzone renovations today, and I was irritated to see that in some of the depictions that a few rows of seats had been removed. I hope to God that we don't take any seats out, the South Endzone next to the student section is my favorite place to stand for a big game. I remember being there for the 16 and 2012 Florida game and it was ridiculously loud. To me that it was one of the things that makes us special, is the fan engagement and passion. I'm going to be royally pissed if the administration takes seats out down there chasing more money

Neyland does have better atmosphere but I really wish we hadn't gotten hung up on seating capacity 20-30 years ago. It'd be a better experience if the capacity was a little lower.

We got hung up on expanding seating capacity over the years because the demand was there for it. When I was a kid in the 60s, it was a thrill when an envelope from UT would arrive every spring with an order form giving me the opportunity to buy season tickets OR single game tickets. Season tickets were not an option to me but I'd buy 2 tickets to one game and my grandfather or an uncle and I would leave home before dawn and drive 4 hours to Knoxville and it was one of the highlights of the year for me. Then in 80s and 90s, UT wasn't even selling single game tickets because they could sell out season tickets. I honestly thought I'd never be going to a game again.

IMO, the drop-off in demand is a combination of many factors, including losing, ubiquitous big-screen HD TVs, every game being televised, much more competition for the fans' entertainment dollars (Titans, etc), weak competition for 3 of the 4 OOC games, obnoxious behavior, longer game times (due to constant and longer TV timeouts and frequent official reviews), tight uncomfortable seating, much more crowded interstate highways (I-40, I-75 and I-24 should be a minimum of 3 lanes in each direction between Nashville and and Knoxville and Chattanooga) and, for some, cost of attendance. UT and its ticket agent are doing a better job with "flash sales" etc.

Doesn't the south upper deck sell out for big games?

I think UT has done a LOT to improve the stadium and I commend them. I hope they dropped the idea of cutting out the lower rows of the south LOWER deck to make that glass-enclosed, field-level party room for the high rollers.

If we decrease capacity, I'd like to do it by expanding seat width -- not that I need it but because the people around me seem to.

Yet to be seen what impact beer/alcohol sales will have on attendance.

Last edited:
I don't want to sacrifice capacity for a better view. I've always tooked pride in being one of the largest stadiums in college football. Just my two cents tho

Always felt the same way with you but after going to Auburn and seeing their video board, empty seats at Neyland, no butt room and large required donations, I am ready for this type of new experience with less seats.

Ever since the Oilers moved to Tennessee our attendance has suffered. People who would regularly come to games from Nashville now have to decide between spending their money on The Vols or The Titans. Instead of knocking out a section of Neyland I’d rather see that team move out of state so we are the only show in the state.
I've always hated the Titans for having the nerve to call themselves Tennessee

And dorms for athletes. However one of the reasons I don’t go to all games is that at eighty years old I cannot put up with standing in line for 10 minutes to go use the urinal while standing in urine all over the floor. The game of football is much more exciting in person, but it is much more sanitary watching at home on TV. With the likelihood of beer being sold during games, the problem will only get worse if the South end zone is not renovated. If you don’t mind the filth, get your tickets in the South end zone
I'm all for renovations for that very reason. Just not at the expense of my some of my favorite seats in the stadium

South end zone has long been loudest part when Neyland Stadium gets rocking. Hope new configurations don't ruin it.

Well the most recent plan has them putting field level club seats right below the student section so they might be doing just that

Neyland-reno-6.png

Looks like something is about to be announced...

When Phillip Fulmer expects Tennessee's Neyland Stadium renovation to begin

This is what we should do (minus the dressing room). It gets rid of the upper deck that we can’t sell tickets in, opens the stadium to the iconic view of the river and makes room for a new, larger size video board (move the old one to the north side).

View attachment 209973
Nope. Just win. Attendance will be a lot better with that alone.

VN Store

Back