Neyland Stadium Renovation Update (Fulmer Updates Seating Capacity)

While I agree a lot of things will be nicer, I don’t care about all that. Give me the days of a 109k filled Neyland. Pure passion.

Those days you could only watch 3 or 4 games per year on TV and those were on little 25 inch squares. Tickets were cheap, salaries were practically nothing and people had nothing else to do on a weekend. Obesity was considered a bad thing. Times have changed.

If I'm going to a game. I don't want to be getting cooked, squeezed between thirteen 250 plus pounders on a row so that my seat area is down to 5 inches across, high priced concessions, listening to some rude drunk scream at another rude drunk, no back on my seat, etc. Yeah, I'll stay home, and enjoy most games in comfort.

Capacity will be around 92,000 after these renovations.

Well that's one way to solve declining attendance I guess. I would have preferred winning games but ... *shrug*

I remember when it seemed like the goal was to have the biggest and the best at everything. Feels like those days get further and further behind us with each passing year. If they drop Neyland to 92,000 we'll be smaller than LSU, Georgia, Alabama, and Texas A&M in conference, and out of conference Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, and Penn State. Plus anyone else who is still on the tail end of expanding. I hate having a smaller stadium than the Bammers. Never cared about having more screens. Cared about having a towering mass of screaming Vols bearing down on people. Cared about being on equal footing with the other big names in the sport. Someone will happily tell me it's all about amenities and club seats and special access and all that; always seems to come down to that stuff now.

While I agree a lot of things will be nicer, I don’t care about all that. Give me the days of a 109k filled Neyland. Pure passion.
Attended my first game in Neyland in 1965. Saw lots of great & bad. Grateful to have been to so many Tennessee football games. Neyland was rockin' during those days.

Reactions: LigmaVols
Those days you could only watch 3 or 4 games per year on TV and those were on little 25 inch squares. Tickets were cheap, salaries were practically nothing and people had nothing else to do on a weekend. Obesity was considered a bad thing. Times have changed.

If I'm going to a game. I don't want to be getting cooked, squeezed between thirteen 250 plus pounders on a row so that my seat area is down to 5 inches across, high priced concessions, listening to some rude drunk scream at another rude drunk, no back on my seat, etc. Yeah, I'll stay home, and enjoy most games in comfort.

Stay home then lol. I’ll be there screaming my lungs out the entire game

Reactions: lukeneyland
College football attendance overall has been declining the pass few years. Prices have gotten to high for a lot of people, especially if they want to bring their family and have something to eat at the game. A lot more nice sports bars with large screen TVs is a nice alternative. Heck, people have large screen TVs in their home. With so many tv time outs, people rather stay home and flip the channel to another game for a while, especially during a boring game. You can stay home and watch 2, 3, 4 games or more. With the playoff system, many people think the season is over for the year once the team losses 1 or 2 games.

It won't affect the noise and it'll improve the game for the 20% of the stadium that can't see the jumboTron. You don't want to sit at the top of YY10 anyway.
It will affect the noise and it's a terrible idea to lower the capacity. Neyland has always been one of the biggest, downsizing alone is a cowardly move but going to 92k? That hurts. Another problem is if you make the seats larger and more comfortable, the fans will become lazy and less agitated. We want as many spots jammed in as tight as possible to get the most amount of people as close to the field as possible. The fans will be forced to stand more because of less space and they will yell, cheer and scream. I will be devastated if they lower the capacity

Neyland will not be the same if they lower capacity and add sofa recliners. Completely overhaul the exterior and concourses but please do not lower capacity, instead raise it.

Reactions: Volank
Really surprised the NCAA or SEC hasn't made them pull the walls back from the corner of the end zones.
There was a previous plan to do that and replace the seats at field level with a standing area and bar.

"The South Field membership club will be located at field level and will be an enclosed, private area. It will have its own outside entry, premium food and beverages, private restrooms, and a capacity of 1,350 members. Membership would not include a seat to watch the game, but d drawings show wide-open spaces with views of the field with scattered seating areas.
The West Field club would connect to the South Field club, and have many of the same amenities. It will include the option for lounge-style suites.
Phase one will also address player safety by moving the south end zone farther back from the field, allowing more room for players. The move will eliminate existing rows in sections J through N."
5806dc908c366.image.jpg

Last edited:
It won't affect the noise and it'll improve the game for the 20% of the stadium that can't see the jumboTron. You don't want to sit at the top of YY10 anyway.
It’s a college stadium. I sat in K for most of my life. I could give two ***** about a damn jumbo tron.
Why the hell you'd reduce capacity by 12000 and not increase the individual seat area is stupid. You are taking away what few chair back seats the stadium Already has.

They have a Jumbotron on the south side that doesn’t affect seating at all.

Reactions: Volank
It’s a college stadium. I sat in K for most of my life. I could give two ***** about a damn jumbo tron.
Why the hell you'd reduce capacity by 12000 and not increase the individual seat area is stupid. You are taking away what few chair back seats the stadium Already has.

They have a Jumbotron on the south side that doesn’t affect seating at all.
I think it's an engineering problem on the North end where they can't put it up top.

Reactions: JacketVol
Yeah removing people won’t affect crowd noise at all. Makes sense.
It's an enclosed double decker bowl stadium. It won't matter. 2 weeks ago against SC was one of the loudest crowds I've ever heard and there were about 85,000 in the stadium.

Autzen Stadium at Oregon only holds about 50,000 and it's had louder db readings than Neyland. Raw numbers don't equal sound.

Last edited:
The world is different. I'm afraid the days of 102,000 people packing stadiums is a thing of the past. I look forward to the renovation, yet hope some of the nostalgia remains. I know the fan base gets a sense of pride by having one of the largest stadiums in the country, but if you can't fill it, seems like a lot of wasted space. For those of you who think the "noise factor" will be diminished, you must have missed the SC game. That game put that theory to rest.

92,000 is fine by me.

At some point, we have got to widen those seats.

People are much larger these days versus 50 years ago.
Lol, you're right. That's why I rent the seat cushions. It helps with people infringing on your space. Would love to see larger seating

Lol, you're right. That's why I rent the seat cushions. It helps with people infringing on your space. Would love to see larger seating
The seat size at Neyland is pretty much a joke for opposing fans. I've been basically everywhere on the road and Neyland is easily the most uncomfortable stadium I've ever been in.

VN Store

Back