Neyland Stadium Renovation Update (Fulmer Updates Seating Capacity)

Someday they'll just make the whole stadium one big screen, wrapping around a capacity crowd of 1,000 people who are largely confused as to why they came, who politely munch on 100 dollar hot dogs and stare at the field to watch a kickoff that never happens -- not because they banned kickoffs, but because the entire game is played on computers and they just pipe the video feed to the screens above an empty field. The Pride of the Southland, still ten members strong, will play something vaguely resembling Rocky Top, or so folks suspect, though it's hard to hear the band beneath the two individual commercials playing simultaneously on the jumbotrons. "Was this fun?" a child will ask. "It sure was," a wealthy donor will reply, pouring some Big Orange Country Whiskey from the gift shop into his two hundred dollar souvenir cup. "It sure was." The kid will furrow his brow. "How do we know if we win?" "Well," the donor sniffs his drink, "it's easy now, we just check the screens." And with that, everyone will look up to the jumbotrons to find out how the game went.

I'm kidding, I'm sure it'll all be grand -- though I admittedly regret seeing changes that detract from the experience for comfort. I don't mean entrance or exit improvements, just ... so many things to distract now.

That article talks about the exterior and plazas, but are they going to fix the councourses on the South and East sides? They're dungeons.

Agree with that. I know its all driven by donations and money but renovating some of the newest portions of the stadium while ignoring areas that haven't been touched for 40+ years seems shortsighted

That article talks about the exterior and plazas, but are they going to fix the councourses on the South and East sides? They're dungeons.

From the article: “By the fall of 2022, the updated plans enable the completion of main level-one south concourse renovations,...”

Just guessing that it will be done by the beginning of the 2022 season based on this.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
From the article: “By the fall of 2022, the updated plans enable the completion of main level-one south concourse renovations,...”

Just guessing that it will be done by the beginning of the 2022 season based on this.
I would take 'level one south concourse' to mean lower level concourse not the upper deck concourse. The one rendering showing a concourse is Section N.

The scoreboard in the rendering shows

Florida 28
Tennessee 38

Wonder if thats a final?

Reactions: HalfullVol
I would take 'level one south concourse' to mean lower level concourse not the upper deck concourse. The one rendering showing a concourse is Section N.

Florida 28
Tennessee 38

Wonder if thats a final?
They must have drawn this up in 2016:D

Someday they'll just make the whole stadium one big screen, wrapping around a capacity crowd of 1,000 people who are largely confused as to why they came, who politely munch on 100 dollar hot dogs and stare at the field to watch a kickoff that never happens -- not because they banned kickoffs, but because the entire game is played on computers and they just pipe the video feed to the screens above an empty field. The Pride of the Southland, still ten members strong, will play something vaguely resembling Rocky Top, or so folks suspect, though it's hard to hear the band beneath the two individual commercials playing simultaneously on the jumbotrons. "Was this fun?" a child will ask. "It sure was," a wealthy donor will reply, pouring some Big Orange Country Whiskey from the gift shop into his two hundred dollar souvenir cup. "It sure was." The kid will furrow his brow. "How do we know if we win?" "Well," the donor sniffs his drink, "it's easy now, we just check the screens." And with that, everyone will look up to the jumbotrons to find out how the game went.

I'm kidding, I'm sure it'll all be grand -- though I admittedly regret seeing changes that detract from the experience for comfort. I don't mean entrance or exit improvements, just ... so many things to distract now.
Ok boomer

Reactions: bvol016
There going to remove a chunk of seats to squeeze in jumbo tron? WTF?

The plan is backwards. The damn south and east are rusting away and they’re worried about the Laurecella room?

Perhaps something like Nebraska is going towards. Proper seats so the Obese don't squeeze into your space.

Dsc_0095d70001sm.jpg
I believe DP said they did a study and if Neyland had "normal" seats the 2 bowls would seat about 80K.

I completely hate the idea of taking seats out of our stadium. Neyland is about noise and passion I don't want it to become a sterile modern NFL type facility.

I am not a fan of gathering areas. If I want to socialize before the game, I go to a tail gate party. If I want to socialize after, I meet at a bar, a home, a bowling alley, whatever. If somebody wants to socialize with me in the stadium, we can talk in the concessions line. During the game, I am in my seat watching the game. That is it. No time to stand there BSing and ask, "What happened?" when the crowd goes wild because some jabber mouth want to talk a get rich quick scheme during the damn game. Too good of a place to throw the jerks over the rail.

Florida 28
Tennessee 38

Wonder if thats a final?

Naw, half time score. We roll in the 2nd half..much like USCe this year.. final Vols 72 - Gators 28. Its the start of a 28 year annual beat down of Florida. I just love the new stadium and how the Gators become our new Kentucky!

Fulmer Provides Update on Neyland Stadium Renovation Plans - University of Tennessee Athletics

For additional info, you will want to read article. Pretty good read, if you have a few minutes.

This fall, fans visiting Neyland Stadium have experienced a new, 360-degree LED ribbon board, as well as the opportunity to purchase alcoholic beverages. Another fan enhancement this season was the replacement of all cushioned seats for the more than 15,000 ticket holders who take advantage of that opportunity.

Next, the stadium's sound system will be replaced and significantly upgraded prior to the 2020 football season.

"After addressing what we identified as immediate and key enhancements for all of our fans stadium-wide, the renovations then transition to other important features that will positively impact program recruiting and fan comfort and enjoyment," Fulmer said.

Upgrades for the fall of 2021—the stadium's centennial—include a renovation of The Lauricella Center for Letter Winners and Wolf-Kaplan Hospitality Center, and the conversion of fifth-level media facilities on the stadium's west side into a unique, open-air donor lounge. As a result, facilities for working press on gamedays will be relocated to the stadium's east side, in closer proximity to the Stokely Family Media Center. Broadcast media—TV and radio crews—will remain in the current west-side location.

By the fall of 2022, the updated plans enable the completion of main level-one south concourse renovations, the addition of a north-side videoboard and the rebuilding of the lower-west-side seating deck.

This phase of substantial renovations concludes in the fall of 2023 when Tennessee unveils two redefining and fan-engaging plazas at Gate 4 and Gate 10. The latter will feature a signature indoor/outdoor gathering space and amenity area serving select food and beverages.

Was scared to read whole article. Thought that they may put that damn pic of Butch back up🤣

VN Store

Back