Neyland Stadium ranked 6th in the SEC

Environment is great. But Neyland is old. She needed that big makeover yesterday. Parts of the stadium look like ruins. Fulmer knows she needs to be improved, but glad he is taking a step back and making sure it gets done RIGHT. We need a top-5 national stadium, both looks and experience-wise, after all is said and done.

Reactions: knoxvol16
I've hit all the stadiums in the SEC at least once. Here is how I would rank the entire experience. I will exclude Neyland since I can't rank that without a bias.

1. LSU
2. A&M
3. Florida (The stadium isn't as nice as those below but experience is cool)
4. Bama
5. Ole Miss (More talent off the field than on)
6. Auburn
7. Georgia
8. Arkansas
9. USC
10. Kentucky
11. State
12. Mizzou
13. Vandy

I looooove Vandy because it feels like a home game! Only been once, but it absolutely blew me away. I couldn't believe I was in an opposing stadium and the chants were Rocky Top and "Go Vols!". Then we started getting our beehinds whipped (2016) and those daggum blowhorns started annoying the living heck out of me.

But the area of West End, Nashville, and having more Vol fans than Vandy fans makes it a really interesting experience for a UT-VU game there.

Reactions: Volatility
When the Vols are good Neyland is only rivaled by Death Valley.

Agree. I can understand Death Valley but 2-5 are a joke and the surrounding college towns are dumps. What, Georgia has a great stadium now because they have hedges? What a joke. A&M has some nice traditions but they don’t have a long winning tradition like the other sec schools. I still don’t even consider Missouri an SEC school and don’t think they even belong on the list. Florida has only been relevant for 30 years and Gainesville is a dump.

Reactions: feathersax
Environment is great. But Neyland is old. She needed that big makeover yesterday. Parts of the stadium look like ruins. Fulmer knows she needs to be improved, but glad he is taking a step back and making sure it gets done RIGHT. We need a top-5 national stadium, both looks and experience-wise, after all is said and done.

Ok. If the ranking is based on the physical appearance I understand. If it is based on the game day experience, the fan support, and the environment most (as Hammer says) ‘can’t touch this’ (Neyland).

Ok. If the ranking is based on the physical appearance I understand. If it is based on the game day experience, the fan support, and the environment most (as Hammer says) ‘can’t touch this’ (Neyland).
Appears to be a blend of both. If it's just physical structure, I'd put us near the bottom. Half the stadium is a dump (east and south sections) with ridiculous small concourse and concession stands and bathrooms plopped onto the concourse making for dangerously narrow passages. Bench seats lined where only little kids have enough space is way outdated. They need to be ripped out and seat backs Installed. No one cares about capacity bragging rights anymore.

If it's game time atmosphere, Neyland is near the top if not #1. Except for the constant playing of Living on a Prayer. That's gotta go.

Reactions: vettefool
I’m afraid nothing compares to an Autumn afternoon in Neyland Stadium, located on the banks of the Tennessee River and the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.
For those who have had the opportunity to experience this mesmerizing event, many of these fans will attest to the ability of the stadium to actually become alive and with electricity in the air.

#6 in the SEC is total BS
I’ve been to all the SEC stadiums and there is not 1 that can compare to Neyland Stadium on a Saturday Autumn afternoon, Not 1!

Last edited:
Reactions: dduncan4163
I’m afraid nothing compares to an Autumn afternoon in Neyland Stadium, located on the banks of the Tennessee River and the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.
For those who have had the opportunity to experience this mesmerizing event, many of these fans will attest to the ability of the stadium actually become alive with electricity in the air.

I’ve been to all the SEC stadiums and there is not 1 that can compare to Neyland Stadium on a Saturday Autumn afternoon, Not 1!

Nothing quite like, Rocky Top!

For those who have had the opportunity to experience this mesmerizing event, many of these fans will attest to the ability of the stadium actually become alive with electricity in the air.

No bias at all ;)

From a former ticketholder's perspective, my biggest complaint about Neyland is that it doesn't seem to provide any home field advantage at all. Of course 99% of that is the team on the field, but all that noise only very rarely seems to equate to overpowering 4th quarters for Tennessee. The atrocious numbers against the spread at home (Pruitt was 1-6 or so last year) bear out this disappointing feeling. If decreasing capacity could help out in this regard, they should definitely go for it.

For one, the Swamp is not better than Neyland, really in any way imaginable.

It’s louder for sure. Death Valley is even louder.

The Swamp is in no way an aesthetically pleasing work of art, it has an industrial vibe to it. The four wing walls trap in the noise, and you’re closer to the field than most stadiums.

But I’d be the first to admit Neyland’s location is easily the best in the SEC, and there’s not a bad seat in the upper deck. The bones could use some TLC, but it’s a great place to watch a game.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
"although it’s becoming exceedingly rare that over 90,000 make their way through the turnstiles on Saturdays in the Fall."

Exceedingly Rare.

Crappy team begets crappy attendance and a crappy atmosphere (as compared to historical Neyland stadium standards). Lately, it's been pretty quiet there and only at about 70% of it's capacity.

By the way, great tag line beneath your username.

When the Vols are good Neyland is only rivaled by Death Valley.

Exactly. I've seen that place rock . . . when times were good. So loud that you have shout at the person next you so they could hear what you're saying and almost everyone on their feet, too. I miss those days.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Oh quit with this.

They “have played better football than UT for the past few years” but as a whole that statement is ridiculous.
I see you're not a fan of facts.. If you want to live in the past that's fine but don't act like I'm ridiculous for stating the current facts.. Don't like it? Too bad it's still facts

Florida and Georgia both to high. I haven’t been to Kyle Field so I can’t say anything about that one. River stadium is rowdy when the tigers are good. I went to a couple of games in 1989 and 92 both years LSU was down it was ok but not great. Like any team including Alabama it all depends on how well the team is playing.

I see you're not a fan of facts.. If you want to live in the past that's fine but don't act like I'm ridiculous for stating the current facts.. Don't like it? Too bad it's still facts
In the statement that he quoted, you should have just specified that you were talking about head to head... since 2014, Vandy is just 24-38. As bad as we have been, Tennessee has a much better record than that, 34-29 since 2014. That is an almost 10 game difference and we usually play a tougher schedule than they do. FACT.

In the statement that he quoted, you should have just specified that you were talking about head to head... since 2014, Vandy is just 24-38. As bad as we have been, Tennessee has a much better record than that, 34-29 since 2014. That is an almost 10 game difference and we usually play a tougher schedule than they do. FACT.
I don't deny any of that. Fact still remains that right now Candy is a better football team.

It’s louder for sure. Death Valley is even louder.

The Swamp is in no way an aesthetically pleasing work of art, it has an industrial vibe to it. The four wing walls trap in the noise, and you’re closer to the field than most stadiums.

But I’d be the first to admit Neyland’s location is easily the best in the SEC, and there’s not a bad seat in the upper deck. The bones could use some TLC, but it’s a great place to watch a game.
You think the swamp is louder than neyland??? Not even close my friend

VN Store

Back